Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

Guest Your Name Here
:lol: just a one word expletive response? Surely you've got more than that.

Aye, but it’s wasted on devotees of the three monkeys.

From John Trewick through to Cheick Tiote you never really know how a new signing will pan out before they’ve kicked a ball. This summer we’ve brought in a handful of players for what amounts to a handful of peanuts in today’s market. Only a fool would claim they were good or bad signings at this stage. Reserving judgement isn’t a kop out, its common sense.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Your Name Here
I dont, you either think its a good buy or you dont. Saying you cant judge now is just a convenient cop-out for those who dont want to undermine their own future positions.

Good for you. Without my crystal ball and in need of the certain amount of empirical evidence I can only make a posteriori judgements. I only know what I am thinking without knowing if this thinking is right or wrong yet. So my thinking - i.e. that we have signed good players - might prove itself wrong in the future. I will only be right then regarding my reservations about the empirical conditions which won't be anything to be happy about and won't win me any bragging rights. I don't need to cop-out of anything because it won't be giving me any pleasure. I'll leave that to sniffer and Leazes.

:lol: You still havent said whether you agree with the decision though. And its 'bollox' that you cant say whether you think that or not :D

What have they got to base a decision on? A few youtube clips? The Sensible Soccer database?

In broad principles I think most supporters think a club with our gates, PL TV money and £35m in the bank from the sale of Andy Carroll should be looking to bring in some experienced players who have proved themselves in the PL, not gambling on kids, cast offs and injury prone players to fill first team slots.

I think it's fair to say the club has tried to bring in decent quality yet good value players.

All their efforts will be swept aside if we don't get a decent goal scorer.

:lol: just a one word expletive response? Surely you've got more than that.

Aye, but it’s wasted on devotees of the three monkeys.

From John Trewick through to Cheick Tiote you never really know how a new signing will pan out before they’ve kicked a ball. This summer we’ve brought in a handful of players for what amounts to a handful of peanuts in today’s market. Only a fool would claim they were good or bad signings at this stage. Reserving judgement isn’t a kop out, its common sense.

You maybe didnt grasp the difference between agreeing with a decision and judging it success.

You need to take account of the fact that decisions have to be made and judged at the time. I agree we wont know how successful the transfer will be for some time, that doesnt stop you from agreeing or disagreeing with the decision today. I expect someone like Ant may have a view on the relative benefits of Pieters, Cissokho and Santon, i would have been happy with the decision to buy either one of them tbh. Saying you will wait to see if it was the right 'decision' means you would need information on what would have happened if we had signed the other players. As this counter-factual information isnt ever available, thats not how you evaluate the decision. You can wait and see if it works out but the true test is whether you agree, disagree, preferred someone else etc. Its only fair to say that today isnt it?

I dont, you either think its a good buy or you dont.

Aye, but it isn't proven one way or the other until a later date.

Exactly, its 2 different judgements; was it the right decision to buy him at the time, did he become a good purchase.

Owen & Ben Arfa are good examples of the difference between the two.

Was it the right time to buy either player? Yes. Did they become good purchases? At this point in time, no.

Peas in a pod.

Exactly, its 2 different judgements; was it the right decision to buy him at the time, did he become a good purchase.

Was it the right time to buy either player? Yes. Did they become good purchases? At this point in time, no.

Peas in a pod.

Thats what i meant. I'm a fan of Ben Arfa but his transfer is a bit like Owen's at the minute just far less expensive. At the time, good decisions, with hindsight definitely not for Owen and wait and see for Ben Arfa. You have to give credit to Shepherd for bringing in Owen and to Ashley for getting in Ben Arfa as they were good decisions (in my eyes anyway, i know some didnt want Owen at the time).

Peas in a pod.

Thats what i meant. I'm a fan of Ben Arfa but his transfer is a bit like Owen's at the minute just far less expensive. At the time, good decisions, with hindsight definitely not for Owen and wait and see for Ben Arfa. You have to give credit to Shepherd for bringing in Owen and to Ashley for getting in Ben Arfa as they were good decisions (in my eyes anyway, i know some didnt want Owen at the time).

Isn't that what you were saying we can't do?

Surely every signing is a bad one then as it's taking money out of the club. Then, at a later date, and with hindsight, we can call them good or bad?

confused.com (I'm a simple football fan)

No, am saying i agreed with the decision to buy Ben Arfa but whether we judge him as a success is to be seen.

Unless you seperate the two, you would never be able to make any decisions in life.

"Shall i try the new curryhouse? What if i dont like it? Goes hungry"

No, am saying i agreed with the decision to buy Ben Arfa but whether we judge him as a success is to be seen.

Unless you seperate the two, you would never be able to make any decisions in life.

So every signing is good, as to do something is positive and to do nothing i.e. no signing, is automatically bad?

So every signing is good, as to do something is positive and to do nothing i.e. no signing, is automatically bad?

That lad from Swansea who was playing non-league football recently vs a full Italian International who has played under Mourinho for one of the biggest clubs in Europe?

OK, without seeing them play which one would you choose?

No, I'd say that signings which have shown promise (Ben Arfa, Santon) are better than making no signings at all.

My frustration is not with the players coming in necessarily, it's with those who've left and that those positions (or roles) have not been filled. So while Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Santon, Cabaye seem decent signings, I don't believe we've a line-leading striker, I don't believe selling Enrique was good business and we've not replaced someone who was arguably the best left back in the country. I don't believe we've got the leaders on the field (which was a problem which plagued us for years before Nolan and Barton).

That lad from Swansea who was playing non-league football recently vs a full Italian International who has played under Mourinho for one of the biggest clubs in Europe?

Yeah, I can see that, but that only applies to players one has some knowledge of. What happens about signing players we know nothing about? Are they automatically good signings because they've been brought in?

Not trying to be antagonistic, btw, I like to hear folk's way of thinking that's all.

Yeah, I can see that, but that only applies to players one has some knowledge of. What happens about signing players we know nothing about? Are they automatically good signings because they've been brought in?

Not trying to be antagonistic, btw, I like to hear folk's way of thinking that's all.

Depends on what you want and how you frame it. Some on here are more keen to see proven premiership players which is fair enough. I was convinced that we would not sign anyone but promote from within to replace Enrique. The fact that we've replaced him with someone who can control a football with his first touch, make a pass with it, has international experience, played for a very big club in the CL, has good physical characteristics for his position on the pitch and excellent pedigree makes me happy. Some will point to a successful lowering of expectations which is also fair comment but i cant be arsed to get into that too.

The point i am making is that those who refuse to say whether they think it was a good signing today are ironically the sort of people who would never be able to make a decision and actually sign anyone as their only point of reference is how they will perform in the future. Drawing air through your teeth and looking wistfully off into the distance saying 'lets wait and see son' doesnt make you wise. Any boring cunt can say that. :lol: (none of that in any way aimed at you either)

Just the other side of the coin to making a bold statement about a player you know fuck all about tbh. That wasn't aimed at you either :lol:

Its less about the player but more about whether the club has done the right thing. I'm finding it hard to see any arguments that suggest no other than the easy 'it might not go well for him' which you could say in response to virtually any signing.

Tbh, Ant's and Stevie's views (apologies to anyone I've missed) are all about the player and consequently the only ones of any interest to me. Saying "good, we needed a full-back" is as safe as saying "wait and see". I accept the club were right to buy a FB like. Goes without saying.

Edited by alex

Guest Your Name Here

Depends on what you want and how you frame it. Some on here are more keen to see proven premiership players which is fair enough. I was convinced that we would not sign anyone but promote from within to replace Enrique. The fact that we've replaced him with someone who can control a football with his first touch, make a pass with it, has international experience, played for a very big club in the CL, has good physical characteristics for his position on the pitch and excellent pedigree makes me happy. Some will point to a successful lowering of expectations which is also fair comment but i cant be arsed to get into that too.

The point i am making is that those who refuse to say whether they think it was a good signing today are ironically the sort of people who would never be able to make a decision and actually sign anyone as their only point of reference is how they will perform in the future. Drawing air through your teeth and looking wistfully off into the distance saying 'lets wait and see son' doesnt make you wise. Any boring cunt can say that. :lol: (none of that in any way aimed at you either)

Crud.

The club should have had scouts monitoring potential targets for months/years. Watching them play on a regular a basis in real life, not just through the distorting lens of a camera. Supporters don’t have that luxury. At best we’ll have seen a player like Santon play a few games on TV and even then we wouldn’t have been able to properly monitor his game.

All I know about Santon is he’s right footed, was highly rated but his career has gone backwards in recent years and we bought him for a fee that doesn’t suggest he’s going to be half as good as Jose. I’m not going to write him off before he’s had a chance but there is fuck all basis for saying the club have made the right decision, let alone a good one.

Obviously if the over excitable elements of our support want to get carried away that’s their prerogative.

Edited by Your Name Here

He told the Chronicle: “I feel that I am ready. I am naturally both-footed.

“It is no problem to play on either side as a full-back or on the right wing or left.

I thought someone said he wasnt two footed?

Having watched about 15 minutes of his clips playing down the left and not seen him use his left foot once, I proposed he was right footed.

I'm fully prepared to admit I was wrong, here in front of everyone (except Leazes, obviously), as and when.

“It is no problem to play on either side as a full-back or on the right wing or left.

Having watched about 15 minutes of his clips playing down the left and not seen him use his left foot once, I proposed he was right footed.

I'm fully prepared to admit I was wrong, here in front of everyone (except Leazes, obviously), as and when.

Its quite a statement 'i am naturally both-footed' as it essentially means you have the same accuracy, power and control with both feet. Its a rarity tbh so i might take his words with a pinch of salt until i see him in action for us.

Its quite a statement 'i am naturally both-footed' as it essentially means you have the same accuracy, power and control with both feet. Its a rarity tbh so i might take his words with a pinch of salt until i see him in action for us.

Sort of statement I'd come out with. :icon_lol: