Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have enjoyed reading the last few pages although being at work it's took about 3 hours.

As much as people don't want to heap praise on anyone in particular, somethings going right if we can within the space of a year bring in the likes of Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Santon etc.

As much as it will stick in peoples throats, the only ones who can claim the credit are the two at the top and Graham Carr. The policy definitely comes from above and whe I understand Ants point that most football people will know these names, actually then watching them, making sure they fit our footballing and financial criteria is still a very skilful role.

I am sure there are many other premiership managers who would give their right arm to have bought the likes of Cabaye this summer. The fact that we have him shows somebody doing a lot of planning very well.

We just now need to get a decent striker across the line tomorrow.

you really can't give them credit for signing players with bad injuries they might not be over, and one who went on strike to engineer a move who man.u decided was too much hassle to sign and hasn't even managed 90mins for us yet.

Come on Ct even you can't big up the board for shite like that honestly it's beyond a stretch.

But he's not a wum, oh no , not wor CT.

:lol:

Have enjoyed reading the last few pages although being at work it's took about 3 hours.

As much as people don't want to heap praise on anyone in particular, somethings going right if we can within the space of a year bring in the likes of Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Marveaux, Santon etc.

As much as it will stick in peoples throats, the only ones who can claim the credit are the two at the top and Graham Carr. The policy definitely comes from above and whe I understand Ants point that most football people will know these names, actually then watching them, making sure they fit our footballing and financial criteria is still a very skilful role.

I am sure there are many other premiership managers who would give their right arm to have bought the likes of Cabaye this summer. The fact that we have him shows somebody doing a lot of planning very well.

you really can't give them credit for signing players with bad injuries they might not be over, and one who went on strike to engineer a move who man.u decided was too much hassle to sign and hasn't even managed 90mins for us yet.

Come on Ct even you can't big up the board for shite like that honestly it's beyond a stretch.

So pray tell us who you credit with our policy of getting the likes of Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Sinton???????

Agnes the tea lady ?

:D

CT, if we'd bought in the above and managed to keep hold of the senior players that did such a good job for us over the past couple of seasons, you might have a point. The fact remains that tje squad is still wafer thin and the reserves are mostly deadwood. The board have picked up one or two exciting players but their main aim was always to balance the books, and in most cases make money. If we had added these players while keeping hold of Carrol, Nolan, Barton and Enrique, I would have shared your optimism. The reality is we are a couple of injuries away from Kadar at centre back and Lovnkrands our front line striker.

The board will indeed deserve credit if all those players do perform well over the course of one and more seasons with the club finishing in the upper regions of the table. Plus, the players have to be not sold at the first profitable business opportunity.

At the moment there far too many ifs and risks to make a judgement that only can be made with hindsight.

CT, if we'd bought in the above and managed to keep hold of the senior players that did such a good job for us over the past couple of seasons, you might have a point. The fact remains that tje squad is still wafer thin and the reserves are mostly deadwood. The board have picked up one or two exciting players but their main aim was always to balance the books, and in most cases make money. If we had added these players while keeping hold of Carrol, Nolan, Barton and Enrique, I would have shared your optimism. The reality is we are a couple of injuries away from Kadar at centre back and Lovnkrands our front line striker.

Your missing the point gloomy. We Wernt talking about the overall management of the club, we were talking about the scouting of new players and the fact we are getting in fairly decent players rather than journeymen etc. (which could have been the case).

You will get no argument from me that we would be better with Enrique, Barton and Carrol, Nolan in the squad.

You will get no argument from me that we would be better with Enrique, Barton and Carrol, Nolan in the squad.

Imagine:

.......................Krul.........................

..Santon.....Colo...Saylor.....Enrique..

...Barton...Tiote.....Cabaye....Jonas...

....................Ben Arfa.....................

.........................Carroll...................

Bench (from): Harper, Nolan, Marveaux, Obertan, Williamson, Shola, Ba, Best, Simpson....

So pray tell us who you credit with our policy of getting the likes of Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Sinton???????

Agnes the tea lady ?

:D

We've signed Sinton? Telford won't be best pleased.

Still, least he's from the area.

Your missing the point gloomy. We Wernt talking about the overall management of the club, we were talking about the scouting of new players and the fact we are getting in fairly decent players rather than journeymen etc. (which could have been the case).

apart from Tiote the rest were well established and known to anyone in football especially Ben Arfa who is still probably the "marquee" signing, it's the fact they came with history of either injury or attitude that we've got them.

That's not scouting, that's taking a punt

"And if you're like me and fancy a gamble, what odds would you...." etc

What baggage does Cabaye come with?

DAVIDE Santon shrugged off comparisons with Paolo Maldini on his arrival at Newcastle United last night, as he admitted: "I'm here to win things."

The 20-year-old full Italian international has explained that it was always going to require the lure of a “special club” for him to quit Inter Milan after being part of the Nerazzurri’s youth system since the age of just 14.

But after learning of United’s interest, left-back Santon – hailed by Jose Mourhino as a phenomenon after breaking into Inter’s side as a teenager – insists he was intrigued by the chance to play for Newcastle United.

Santon told The Journal: “I am really happy to be here. It was not an easy choice to leave Inter but this is a historic club and a historic city.

“It is excellent timing for me to leave Inter and join Newcastle. The timing couldn’t be better.

“I can play left-back or right-back and I like to attack and to defend too.

“I am here to give evidence that I am a good player and a champion. I am happy to be here in Newcastle to do that.”

Santon arrives primarily to plug the left-back slot left vacant by Jose Enrique – who joined Liverpool – and will take the Spaniard’s old number three shirt.

But the Portomaggiore-born star said: “I can play in different positions, as a defender on the right and left or as a midfielder the same.

“I like to go forward but also to defend. I am here to give everything. We can achieve great things here. We can grow up together and help each other.

“I am here for the future and this is a great life experience. I want to play for this club 100%”

Mourhino and Italian World Cup-winning manager Marcelo Lippi had compared Santon to AC Milan legend Maldini but the modest Santon said: “I want to show I can be a great player, but that is a compliment.

“I have watched a lot of Premier League games on television in Italy and I hope I can play well and be settled in this league.

“I will be comfortable here.”

Santon’s appetite for the English game was clear and he admits he can’t wait to rub shoulders with some big names – including his former Inter team-mate, Mario Balotelli.

He said: “There are a lot of great players in the premier League like Rooney and my good friend Balotelli. But I am not afraid.

“I am here to play and fight for Newcastle. It is a great club in England and a historic city, with great players. Of course, I know of Alan Shearer too!”

Santon says he has vague memories of United’s visit to Milan in 2003 in the Champions League and said: “I don’t remember too much – I was just 14.

“Newcastle played very well in the San Siro in the Champions League when I was young. I used to love watching Rob Lee and Cabaye reminds me of him very much".

Santon will move to Tyneside with his mother and father to ensure he enjoys the delights of home.

He said: “For the first few weeks I will settle and have my mother Renata and father Mirco over here.

“My mother is a beautiful cook – the best – and I need her here for her lasagne!

“That will help me play well. Newcastle have a young team and are signing young players and we all want to improve and do our best.”

DAVIDE Santon shrugged off comparisons with Paolo Maldini on his arrival at Newcastle United last night, as he admitted: "I'm here to win things."

He's here to what? :lol:

Must be paying him in lottery tickets.

He's here to what? :D

See your picture :lol:

That would require a quick relegation first. :lol:

He's here to what? :lol:

See your picture :D

That would require a quick relegation first. :)

:lol: Team Negative!

Trying to say anyone could do what Carr has done is a bit of a joke when we've proven so many times in the past that we weren't capable of scouting good European players who were suited to the PL, even when we paid top dollar (some notable signings excepted). Safe to say footballing knowledge runs in the family tbh.

The board will indeed deserve credit if all those players do perform well over the course of one and more seasons with the club finishing in the upper regions of the table. Plus, the players have to be not sold at the first profitable business opportunity.

At the moment there far too many ifs and risks to make a judgement that only can be made with hindsight.

Totally disagree with how you're looking at that as it basically states that no 'a priori' assessment can be made. Sure, the final assessment on the success of transfer activity is not known until we see how the players adapt. However, it's possible to judge the activity 'in principle' as that's how clubs make their judgements, the role of the scout supplementing that. Santon may not adapt or play well but in principle it's a good signing. That's the only way to judge things to today, a good but simplistic example is Ben Arfa who was a great signing but in reality has cost a lot of money for 1 goal and 4 starts.

The boards only principle is get as much money as possible for outgoing transfers, and pay peanuts for new recruits. Anyone who believes their planning is more strategic than that, is deluding themselves. They've been very fucking lucky so far.

The boards only principle is get as much money as possible for outgoing transfers, and pay peanuts for new recruits. Anyone who believes their planning is more strategic than that, is deluding themselves. They've been very fucking lucky so far.

All the more credit to Carr (I know you weren't having a go at him btw).