Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

Been impressed with him since day one, yes he looked a bit iffy at first but you could see the potential was there even then and he seems to be getting better with each game now. Hopefully the injuries will stay away next season.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how does Santon view where his best position is? Right back? Left back? I'd imagine right back instead of Simpson with him being a right footer. When Pardew fucks up tactics his first move is usually to move Santon to right wing.

Supposedly started his career as a right sided midfield, but didn't he came to prominence when Jose turned him into LB for Inter? I like the fact he's right footed LB, so cuts in with his right.

Devils advocate, but Santon has had the benefit of playing in a much more cohesive team with far better individuals than Enrique did in his first year.

I'm going to hold off on the hype for a while yet.

Funnily enough, he was handled in a similar way to Enrique under Fat Sam for much of the season (compared with the six months Fat Sam was here of course) and it made it much easier for Pardew to justify leaving his prized signing on the bench in favour of a right footed utility man because we were winning. That said, he looks absolutely quality when he bounds forward, far better than Enrique ever did tbh. Still question marks defensively but he is only young and still adapting. I reckon he'll be a fantastic player for years to come.

Devils advocate, but Santon has had the benefit of playing in a much more cohesive team with far better individuals than Enrique did in his first year.

I'm going to hold off on the hype for a while yet.

Nah I think he is brilliant. I have not seen an opposition winger get the better of him since early on in the season and that was only because he got caught too far up the pitch. Add to that that he is brilliant going forward.

The only discussion for me is whether he'd be better on the right. For me its hard to say because he looks really dangerous cutting inside from the left. If we still had Carroll I'd say he is better on the right to get early crosses in but with the strikers we have at the moment I don't think they are limited in that way.

It does seem he will be moved to the right though as the fullbacks we are being linked with are all left sided.

If he was still at Inter and playing like this he'd be a sure thing for the Euros.

Why'd Mourinho play him left back then? Seems to me he's only played on the right at Inter when there was injuries.

I'm not having a dig at anyone btw, just genuinely want to know.

Edited by StevenL

Why'd Mourinho play him left back then? Seems to me he's only played on the right at Inter when there was injuries.

I'm not having a dig at anyone btw, just genuinely want to know.

Maicon.

Very different player to Enrique. Better technique on the ball and better at getting forward, but not as good defensively or as strong or quick.

Santon could easily play in midfield whereas I think Enrique would be lost as he's a natural defender.

With consistent game time, much like with Enrique, he's coming on in leaps and bounds which is great to see.

Not sure I'd trust him and HBA 100% defensively, but with a better (more mobile) right centre half than Williamson (who to be fair has done a good job) who could slide over to cover, it'd be interesting to see him on the right, HBA likes to cut inside Santon naturally will want to go to the outside, interesting challenge for opposition defenders, up against two very skillfull ball players who could go (attack) either way.

Edited by Toonpack

Not sure I'd trust him and HBA 100% defensively, but with a better (more mobile) right centre half than Williamson (who to be fair has done a good job) who could slide over to cover, it'd be interesting to see him on the right, HBA likes to cut inside Santon naturally will want to go to the outside, interesting challenge for opposition defenders, up against two very skillfull ball players who could go (attack) either way.

You're right like, I wouldn't feel at all comfortable with Williamson (or S.Taylor for that matter) having to cover the expanse left if both Santon and HBA are caught up the field. Mind you, with the midfield three that we've been starting I wouldn't be surprised to see Jonas or Tiote drifting over whenever Santon bombs on.