Davide Santon signs a 5 year deal with Newcastle United

Christmas Tree

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolfy's wrong with his facts, Davide Santon is class, 'a priori'...

Yes, I remember reading something along these lines by some Kant...

You don't read it, you sing it. It was to the tune of 'That's Amore' :lol:

Reserving judgement on players is not a luxury clubs have when making decisions on how to spend millions of pounds. If you want to judge the transfer window, do it at the end of today. Everyone is a good judge with the benefit of hindsight.

Reserving judgement on players is not a luxury clubs have when making decisions on how to spend millions of pounds. If you want to judge the transfer window, do it at the end of today. Everyone is a good judge with the benefit of hindsight.

I think somewhere in the middle is more like it.

Football is a result and performance related industry though. History counts for nothing if it doesn't prove itself on the pitch. There are far too many uncertain conditions too make early or a prioru judgements, all you can do is making assumptions or predicitions based on what you know so far.

I'm pleased so far with the potential quality of players we have signed and think with the addition of a decent striker and with the help of a creative talent as Ben Arfa and without too much (more) bad luck with injuries we can have a decent maybe even very good season. I don't know it yet though.

Edited by Isegrim

I think its a good buy

I think all of our signings (excluding elliot who is just...kind of a none entity) this window have been good buys

whether theyre enough to see us improve considering the outgoings of the last 2 windows is another matter

Football is a result and performance related industry though. History counts for nothing if it doesn't prove itself on the pitch. There are far too many uncertain conditions too make early judgements, all you can do is making assumptions or predicitions based on what you know so far.

I'm pleased so far with the potential quality of players we have signed and think with the addition of a decent striker and with the help of a creative talent as Ben Arfa and without too much (more) bad luck with injuries we can have a decent maybe even very good season. I don't know it yet though.

What would you do then? Sign him or not? Lets forget about whether it was a 'good' signing or not, say whether you agree with the decision.

I think it sounds good, i dont know enough about the player but i agree with the decision.

I dont, you either think its a good buy or you dont.

Aye, but it isn't proven one way or the other until a later date.

Exactly, its 2 different judgements; was it the right decision to buy him at the time, did he become a good purchase.

Owen & Ben Arfa are good examples of the difference between the two.

Guest Your Name Here
I dont, you either think its a good buy or you dont. Saying you cant judge now is just a convenient cop-out for those who dont want to undermine their own future positions.

bollox

Looks like he chose the wrong club if he's here to win things.

I just know that the day the open top bus rolls through Newcastle with Pardew and the team showing off the FA Cup.....some fucker on here will moan about something. :lol:

I honestly don't see that happening with current lot in charge. The reason being that for every promising player we sign, we flog an existing first teamer. You don't win trophies with tiny squads. And that's why I don't reckon I was missing the point in your earlier post. I agree that our scouting network seems better now than for a while but that is negated by our lack of depth. A lot of the players coming in are exciting young prospects but they're mostly unproven in this league. While the policy of scouting cheap young talent is a sound one, it falls on it arse if there's no experience or leadership in the squad to back it up.

I'm not genuinely excited by this transfer window. If I was, you wouldn't see me 'moaning'. I think we've just about done enough to get a similar mid table finish to last season. But the squad hasn't been significantly strengthened. And with 35m in the bank from the Carroll sale alone, I would have liked to seen us sign more players, or to have kept hold of our quality senior pros from last season as well as recruiting this new batch of players.

Looks like he chose the wrong club if he's here to win things.

I just know that the day the open top bus rolls through Newcastle with Pardew and the team showing off the FA Cup.....some fucker on here will moan about something. :lol:

I honestly don't see that happening with current lot in charge. The reason being that for every promising player we sign, we flog an existing first teamer. You don't win trophies with tiny squads. And that's why I don't reckon I was missing the point in your earlier post. I agree that our scouting network seems better now than for a while but that is negated by our lack of depth. A lot of the players coming in are exciting young prospects but they're mostly unproven in this league. While the policy of scouting cheap young talent is a sound one, it falls on it arse if there's no experience or leadership in the squad to back it up.

I'm not genuinely excited by this transfer window. If I was, you wouldn't see me 'moaning'. I think we've just about done enough to get a similar mid table finish to last season. But the squad hasn't been significantly strengthened. And with 35m in the bank from the Carroll sale alone, I would have liked to seen us sign more players, or to have kept hold of our quality senior pros from last season as well as recruiting this new batch of players.

We could have kept Joey and Nolan by offering lucrative 5 year deals, they didn't and I support that decision. Enrique wouldn't have stayed for 100k a week as his mind was made up. I think we have done well so far and providing we get a decent striker then I'm happy enough.

Agree with what Chez has said, everythings a risk but it's very easy to look back and say mistakes were made.

Our signings since Carr came in have been impressive, not just the odd big name but the way these players have performed. When you look at the vast sums other clubs have spent then some of the absolute bargains we have managed to get in. Obviously there is the "just signing to make a future profit" thing but that's nothing to do with the scouting team.

We certainly seem to have a lot less 'failures' than we used to, even the likes of Routledge played a big part and were more than value for money which was a foreign concept a few years ago.

Think, as manc-mag was saying earlier, there's not a lot of cover for the lad and we've now forked out for him so he'll be thrown in at the deep end and we'll learn pretty soon if he's up to it.

I dont, you either think its a good buy or you dont. Saying you cant judge now is just a convenient cop-out for those who dont want to undermine their own future positions.

Good for you. Without my crystal ball and in need of the certain amount of empirical evidence I can only make a posteriori judgements. I only know what I am thinking without knowing if this thinking is right or wrong yet. So my thinking - i.e. that we have signed good players - might prove itself wrong in the future. I will only be right then regarding my reservations about the empirical conditions which won't be anything to be happy about and won't win me any bragging rights. I don't need to cop-out of anything because it won't be giving me any pleasure. I'll leave that to sniffer and Leazes.

Theres not of cover across the whole defense imo. With the exception of RB, we can put out a decent first team if everyone's fit but injury and suspensions expose our limitations.

Good for you. Without my crystal ball and in need of the certain amount of empirical evidence I can only make a posteriori judgements. I only know what I am thinking without knowing if this thinking is right or wrong yet. So my thinking - i.e. that we have signed good players - might prove itself wrong in the future. I will only be right then regarding my reservations about the empirical conditions which won't be anything to be happy about and won't win me any bragging rights. I don't need to cop-out of anything because it won't be giving me any pleasure. I'll leave that to sniffer and Leazes.

:lol: You still havent said whether you agree with the decision though. And its 'bollox' that you cant say whether you think that or not :D