Polygamy

ADP

What are people's thoughts on polygamy as a form of relationship? Has anyone been in a polygamous relationship before? Would anyone want to? Or is monogamy the practiced tradition because it is the best formula?

EDIT: third question is not an invite before i get called up on it!

Edited by ADP

I was thinking about the concept earlier, actually, after seeing this:

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2012/05/the-tide-turns.html

:D

I've known a few couples in "open relationships", in a "the odd fling here and there is fine" kind of way, and that's already pretty alien to me (though it seems to work for them) so I really can't imagine having two or more partners who are ostensibly equal.

I think there's something about us instinctively that makes us monogamous. It's common in animals too, just the best way to ensure survival of your young I guess. Who's the Dawkin's of toontastic for a decent explanation?

I think there's something about us instinctively that makes us monogamous. It's common in animals too, just the best way to ensure survival of your young I guess. Who's the Dawkin's of toontastic for a decent explanation?

Studies suggest we are generally monogamous but that that instinct is skewed by wealth and power - ie if you have either or both we tend to see polgyamy as more "natural".

I've seen it in at least two documentaries.

Depends on the species/family - we should only really compare us with other great apes and primates. Gorillas tend to have a small number of "wives" though more than one whereas chimps are a lot more free within a "tribe".

Depends on the species/family - we should only really compare us with other great apes and primates. Gorillas tend to have a small number of "wives" though more than one whereas chimps are a lot more free within a "tribe".

Heynas?

I had a mate at uni and his mam and dad took in a lodger... however it turned out his dad was just a big old perv and they all slept in the same bed and had threesomes every night.

Can't really understand the concept really... I understand the sex side of it, but after a while having 2 wives would do my nut in!