Father's Day

catmag

My dad's a miserable fucker too. He wouldn't appreciate it. ;)

Well thank god I'm Mr Happy clappy, married to Mrs Happy clappy with four Happy clappy offspring.

Tomorrow will be like a birthday for me and why not, I'm worth it :)

Went to see Fist Snr. today , took his grandkids which always makes him a happy silverback.

He was telling me about when he was a trainee butcher, between school and his National Service. He worked at the Co-op butchers in Washington which was the main distribution point for all meat to the other local butchers ( rationing was still in place at the time, we're talking late 1940s , early 1950s ).

Anyway, he told me that at one time they were told that there was no beef, pork or lamb availabke, so they were given great squares of frozen whale meat! It had come from a refrigerated warehouse on the Quayside where emergency stocks were held.

The Master Butcher gave him and all the other apprentices a piece before they sent it out to the public, telling them to take it home and try it.

He described it as a very dark meat ( he compared it to venison in colour), slightly oily but said it was really nice.

Makes you wonder what else was used as " emergency meat" at the time - I'm guessing horse was on the menu too.

Don't even pretend you don't know :lol:

Bet your lass has a house full from Shields Market ;)

So does yours by the sounds of it!

We're off to see the Gruffalo at the theatre and then somewhere nice for dinner. It's himself's birthday as well as Fathers day so I've had way too many cards to buy :P

Don't even pretend you don't know :lol:

Bet your lass has a house full from Shields Market ;)

I'd kick her out if such things ever entered this house. Do you have a pair of chinos to match?

Wonders of the universe book, two superdry tshirts, one huge toblarone, a lie in and a sausage sandwhich. Wife taking kids to grandparents so get home alone (well, with dog) to chill.

It's the small things eh!