Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur

Christmas Tree

I've got a right downer on football, partly cos of the Olympics. Footballers are all knobs and the game is massively overhyped. It's dominated by money factors and just gets less appealing every season. The most prestigious club tournament is rigged in favour of the big clubs, and the more you look at FFP the more it looks like a way of freezing everyone else out of the biggest action.

I'd say I fell 70% out of love with football a few years ago, and have racked up a few extra percentage points this summer.

So aye, there you go. Cheer up, me.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a right downer on football, partly cos of the Olympics. Footballers are all knobs and the game is massively overhyped. It's dominated by money factors and just gets less appealing every season. The most prestigious club tournament is rigged in favour of the big clubs, and the more you look at FFP the more it looks like a way of freezing everyone else out of the biggest action.

I'd say I fell 70% out of love with football a few years ago, and have racked up a few extra percentage points this summer.

Yeah the olympics has even fun, but it's more a warmup for the important sport to start, get the minor ones out the way

I'm with Gemmill, my love affair of football has died off over the last few years (with football not NUFC) although I thoroughly enjoyed last season, the Olympics on the other hand, I was completely "meh" about them but I've been riveted to them

By the same token, what's CT's version of a 'bad' season? (seeing as he's reading this thread atm). :D

A bad season would be ending up mid table also rans. Anything outside of top 7 disappointing.

About time we had a decent cup run as well.

My downer started 3 years or so, but when the Toon are involved its difficult.

Like you say, its money, money, money. The love people have for Bolt and the love he has for them faaar outweighs any respect I will give to footballers. Footballers nowadays are only bothered about themselves. It makes me laugh how they go on about being tired etc. The fucking babies.

My downer started 3 years or so, but when the Toon are involved its difficult.

Like you say, its money, money, money. The love people have for Bolt and the love he has for them faaar outweighs any respect I will give to footballers. Footballers nowadays are only bothered about themselves. It makes me laugh how they go on about being tired etc. The fucking babies.

What relevance is 'footballers only being bothered about themselves'? Besides Bolt is an individual sprinter who works for himself, football is a team game. It's like people blaming footballers for being good at a big sport which means they are paid well. 'Narh mate I don't want to be paid loads of money.'

I agree with lots of it, but we of all clubs are actually bucking the trend. Newcastle and Tottenham in the top 4 together would be a massive victory for football, and it's not entirely impossible.

What relevance is 'footballers only being bothered about themselves'? Besides Bolt is an individual sprinter who works for himself, football is a team game. It's like people blaming footballers for being good at a big sport which means they are paid well. 'Narh mate I don't want to be paid loads of money.'

Are you hidden away?

Have you seen how footballers are treated? Like they are something special when at the end of the day they are footballers. They are barried off, you cant get close to them, high security etc.

Usain Bolt does a sport that yes, isnt a team sport (apart from the 4x100 of course) but he is always laughing and joking and being himself.

Footballers are in this bubble, a cath word bubble. They dont live in the real world any more.

I know I go back to cycling a lot but thats because its a subject I know. Mark Cavendish is one of the top paid in the world and thats because he is one of the best in the world. He is current world champion and is no doubt the best sprinter in the world. He has the luxuaries of a high wage, model girlfirned (I dont mean airfix) and some really nice cars. However, you see him at events he laughs and jokes with people, takes time to speak to people and is down to earth. Its like that with Cycling, Rugby League, Rugby Yawnion too. I goto watch the Rhinos a lot, the players park up and walk to the dressing rooms through the crowds etc. If that was football there would be high security etc. Why? Whats really going to happen?

Its gone too far mate. The way the faggots act too on the pitch. They are a bunch off pussy cheating bastards.

Nerh you definitely can't say they're all no heads the same way you can judge anyone based on occupation. It's like saying all soldiers are murderers or all rugby players are upper class twits. The Rhinos point, the rugby and football lot at my Uni each have their own culture, and it's clear most people who play football are working class lads and most who play rugby are upper class (not that there's anything wrong with that.) these are mostly poor lads who've worked hard to get to the top and have made it the only way they could. Meh

I agree with lots of it, but we of all clubs are actually bucking the trend. Newcastle and Tottenham in the top 4 together would be a massive victory for football, and it's not entirely impossible.

Aye that's the one saving grace. Football in the bigger scheme of things though is such an easily dislikable mess.

Guest CabayeAye

Aye that's the one saving grace. Football in the bigger scheme of things though is such an easily dislikable mess.

Totally agree. The cuntitude of modern football is unrivalled.

Nerh you definitely can't say they're all no heads the same way you can judge anyone based on occupation. It's like saying all soldiers are murderers or all rugby players are upper class twits. The Rhinos point, the rugby and football lot at my Uni each have their own culture, and it's clear most people who play football are working class lads and most who play rugby are upper class (not that there's anything wrong with that.) these are mostly poor lads who've worked hard to get to the top and have made it the only way they could. Meh

Tbf like you thought Joe Paterno was hard done to, so your judgement might be a little bit off. :razz:

I was out training last year and stopped to watch a Sunday league game. The play acting, the fancy boots the calling the ref, was all present. Where do they get that from?

Tbf like you thought Joe Paterno was hard done to, so your judgement might be a little bit off. :razz:

Hahaha! In my defence I was only saying how bullshit it was that he was the scapegoat while the ones at the top who knew as much and did less jut breezed through it. Thankfully that's being sorted out now anyway

I was out training last year and stopped to watch a Sunday league game. The play acting, the fancy boots the calling the ref, was all present. Where do they get that from?

Nothing wrong with the last two but play acting does my head in, still it's no worse than the people at Sunday league who just hack others down at any opportunity. Presumably old football was better when people who have careers ruined because they had skill and flair and the hackers at english clubs didn't like it?

Nothing wrong with the last two but play acting does my head in, still it's no worse than the people at Sunday league who just hack others down at any opportunity. Presumably old football was better when people who have careers ruined because they had skill and flair and the hackers at english clubs didn't like it?

So you think its fine that the refs are getting sworn at etc? Interesting.

Of course its not better having the careers ruined. But if they arent hurt then dont fanny about like a fucking puiff. Get up and play on.

Not swearing but if theyve had a mare having a word is fine by me. Yeah it's sometimes a bit bad but sometimes you have to do that if there's been contact and the ref misses it, especially in Sunday league where unless your heads hatcheted off you get nothing. It's not ideal but it's certainly not worth being disillusioned over, football now as a whole is better, and I'd take a few dives over pure hacking.

Anyway I've got a spare ticket for this, if someone needs one pm or something (face value of course)

Just an example of what winds me up: Carrick, who made himself unavailable for selection for the Euros like a stroppy bairn, is in the next England squad. :lol:

Enjoy your summer holiday did you, Michael?

Edited by Gemmill

It's inevitable that footballers will be compared with Olympic athletes at the moment.

I'm not defending footballers at all, as a majority of them are utter bastards, but the two can't really be compared.

One of the other factors to consider is that over half of our medallists have come from private education. And most of the rest have been supported by their parents as they've grown up.

A majority of footballers come from disadvantaged backgrounds and tough upbringing. Couple this with being showered with ridiculous sums of money once they hit 16 and you create a load of absolute arseholes who don't know how to handle money or their public image.

Top-4 with simpson and Jonas would be quite hard. They dont offer enough going forward to create enough of a threat on their flanks. Invites pressure.

CB is also too weak, STaylor havent managed 30 games in what - 5 years? when, not if.

Mind when Warnock called El Hadji Diouf a sewer rat?

Warnock was enraged in January 2011 when, as Queens Park Rangers manager, he claimed that Diouf abused Jamie Mackie as he lay on the pitch with a broken leg during an FA Cup clash with Blackburn.

Warnock said after the game: “The lads were furious with El-Hadji Diouf; he (Mackie) had broken his leg and he is calling him all sorts on the pitch.

“There was no need to put the finger up and call him a disgrace and even the Blackburn people were embarrassed.

“I can't abide people like that, I don't know why he wants to take on the world every week.

“For many years I have thought he (Diouf) was the gutter type - I was going to call him a sewer rat but that might be insulting to sewer rats.

“I think he is the lowest of the low and I can't see him being at Blackburn much longer because I can't see Steve Kean putting up with someone like that in the dressing room when he is trying to form a new image for Blackburn.

“I think he will be the first to go and good riddance - I hope he goes abroad because I won't miss watching him. He is a nasty little person.'

Diouf replied: “Who is Warnock? He's nothing to me. He's not Alex Ferguson, he's not Arsene Wenger, he's not Sam Allardyce or an important manager. I know he doesn't like me, but it's the same for me too - I don't like him.”

Well he signed him for Leeds on Saturday. Disappointed in Warnock tbh, have some conviction in your views man.