Bands that you don't really like and probably never will

ajax_andy

Stained perform Comfortably Numb better than Pink Floyd ever could. Brilliant song, just needed anyone other than PF to record it.

Don't be fucking stupid :lol:

I appreciate floyd are not everyone's cup of tea, but then not everyone has listened to Animals or heard Great Gig in the sky, live.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elvis

Amy Winehouse

The Rolling Stones

Anything post 2001 (with about four exceptions)

Adele

Metallica (except a couple of songs)

The Beatles (ditto)

Def Leppard

And lots of others.

Aye ok

I do love the Beatles, but I can certainly see why so many people don't. I think a lot of people (not necessarily the ones saying they don't like them on here) base their opinions on some of their most famous singles, rather than their individual albums.

If you take the time to listen to each of their albums (all are up on youtube in full) in order then you can really appreciate how much they grew and changed as musicians, and there are some real gems among the lesser known stuff.

Saw a good piece of writing that hit the nail on the head once, it said that due to to the saccharine sweet nature of a lot of the most often played Beatles hits and their familiarity, it's hard to hear them without feeling like your listening to a nursery rhyme. You could put Humpty Dumpty between Yellow Submarine and When I'm 64 without it feeling out of place.

If you don't like my opinion, then ban me. Isn't that how it works when you're an admin?

Is there a smiley for "Oooooooo get you" :lol:

Am I the only Beatles fan here or something?!

Wouldn't say I was a fan but you can't really dismiss what they done. Such an influence for so many modern bands.

I think most people prob have some Beatles favourites. I've certainly got a canny mix of their stuff on my iPhone.

I do love the Beatles, but I can certainly see why so many people don't. I think a lot of people (not necessarily the ones saying they don't like them on here) base their opinions on some of their most famous singles, rather than their individual albums.

If you take the time to listen to each of their albums (all are up on youtube in full) in order then you can really appreciate how much they grew and changed as musicians, and there are some real gems among the lesser known stuff.

Saw a good piece of writing that hit the nail on the head once, it said that due to to the saccharine sweet nature of a lot of the most often played Beatles hits and their familiarity, it's hard to hear them without feeling like your listening to a nursery rhyme. You could put Humpty Dumpty between Yellow Submarine and When I'm 64 without it feeling out of place.

Rubbish IMO. The problem with the Beatles was they were never an album band; their albums never really had a narrative. I say problem, but that's bollocks really. They were the UK's defining band. Obviously it's trendy for know nowts on here to belittle their incredible musical legacy, but they were EASILY the greatest band ever IMO. Name a better one dickwads!

2J got it right btw: U2 - utter gash.

Blur

Oasis

Happy Mondays

Stone Roses

The Killers

The Kings of Leon

The Arctic Monkeys

Muse

Coldplay

Radiohead

And any other bland, middle of the road shit that play at the Stadium of Light. Really fucks me off when the whole North East goes potty about standing in pack a mac in the pissy wet at the SOL and gans on like they've been to Woodstock. Seeing Coldplay with your mam and 12year old sister does not constitute going to a rock concert

Edited by J69

Rubbish IMO. The problem with the Beatles was they were never an album band; their albums never really had a narrative. I say problem, but that's bollocks really. They were the UK's defining band. Obviously it's trendy for know nowts on here to belittle their incredible musical legacy, but they were EASILY the greatest band ever IMO. Name a better one dickwads!

2J got it right btw: U2 - utter gash.

Most popular does not equal greatest. I can't believe how overrated they actually are - everybody takes to piss out of Starr's drumming and implies the rest of them were technical genuises which is bullshit.

When Jon Lord died a few weeks ago I read a few articles on Deep Purple and clicked on a link to a Rolling Stome crtics list of the top 100 guitarists of all time. They had Richie Blackmore at number 50 and Harrison at number 10 - this is like having a top footballers list and having Shola 40 places above Messi,

I honestly don't see how people rate them so highly - I recognise they were among a number of bands who broke the mould in terms of writing their own songs but are people really telling me that I wanna hold your hand is some kind of musical highpoint? As for the later drug-addled shite they produced - do me a favour. The so called "one of the greatest albums of all time" Sgt Pepers has When I'm 64 on it FFS.

Also one thing about U2 leaving opinions abut music aside, they and other bands like the Stones and The Who did not give up touring at the hight of their popularity - have we ever had a decent explanation for that or was it just cowardice?

They are the ultimate in Emporers new clothes - I'm just glad a few more people now have the guts to point this out.

Blur

Oasis

Happy Mondays

Stone Roses

The Killers

The Kings of Leon

The Arctic Monkeys

Muse

Coldplay

Radiohead

And any other bland, middle of the road shit that play at the Stadium of Light. Really fucks me off when the whole North East goes potty about standing in pack a mac in the pissy wet at the SOL and gans on like they've been to Woodstock. Seeing Coldplay with your mam and 12year old sister does not constitute going to a rock concert

:lol:

You're so much cooler than everyone else Jezza

Most popular does not equal greatest. I can't believe how overrated they actually are - everybody takes to piss out of Starr's drumming and implies the rest of them were technical genuises which is bullshit.

When Jon Lord died a few weeks ago I read a few articles on Deep Purple and clicked on a link to a Rolling Stome crtics list of the top 100 guitarists of all time. They had Richie Blackmore at number 50 and Harrison at number 10 - this is like having a top footballers list and having Shola 40 places above Messi,

I honestly don't see how people rate them so highly - I recognise they were among a number of bands who broke the mould in terms of writing their own songs but are people really telling me that I wanna hold your hand is some kind of musical highpoint? As for the later drug-addled shite they produced - do me a favour. The so called "one of the greatest albums of all time" Sgt Pepers has When I'm 64 on it FFS.

Also one thing about U2 leaving opinions abut music aside, they and other bands like the Stones and The Who did not give up touring at the hight of their popularity - have we ever had a decent explanation for that or was it just cowardice?

They are the ultimate in Emporers new clothes - I'm just glad a few more people now have the guts to point this out.

I can understand if people don't want to give them a lot of credit based on the earlier poppy stuff, however that statement couldn't be further from the truth. They were innovative as fuck, and the fact they changed direction so much shows how great they were.

Personally I think Sgt. Peppers is overrated and Revolver is my favourite Beatles album. Although Sgt. Peppers does have A Day In The Life on which to me is possibly my favourite song of all time.

For a Chart band to be doing it was brilliant. Anyone denying their quality (even if they're not personally a fan) is basically being a contrary twat. Fair enough to say they may be overhyped in hindsight. But they deserve a great deal of the praise they get if not 100%.

I think The Velvet Underground stuff sounds lightyears ahead of the Beatles.....but they were around at the same time.

Not a best-ever (albeit critically and studentially acclaimed), not a band and he only springs to mind now because he just turned up on SongPop - but I really don't like Beck.

I don't dislike him, just don't 'get it'.

EDIT: same with Neutral Milk Hotel .

Edited by ADP