Another Shooting in America

The Fish

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to clear some things up, because the media is ... well, the media.

As he has not been officially diagnosed with a mental disorder, he was of legal age, etc. there was nothing to prevent him from buying that handgun from the shop. If he is not placed into the system from a diagnosis or by the courts, no reason for the shop to think there was an issue.

The bigger problem - and the one our media over here refuse to touch - is this : You wonder how someone could get off shots on so many people on a military base? Nidal Hassan did much worse damage in fact on that same base 5 years ago. That's because President Clinton made it illegal for military personnel to carry firearms on base. All weapons are locked up in the armory. This is the same reason that the school shootings were so bad. They were 'gun free zones'. Do you know what a gun free zone says to a cowardly criminal like Lopez or Hassan or any of the others? No one to fight back here. Fish in a barrel. How is it that we trust the police to be armed in police stations, but we cannot trust our military - who go through much more rigorous training and screening - to carry on base? Preposterous. Cowards like Lopez and sudden jihad syndrome sufferers like Hassan know that he has a bunch of helpless victims before him.

Incidentally, they keep talking about Lopez and PTSD. He was a truck driver in Iraq in 2011 and was only there for 4 months. He never saw combat. See what comes out about him or if the story fades to the back pages.

It says a great deal that the response to "psycho shoots schoolkids" is (and perhaps has to be) "arm the school staff" rather than "make it harder for psychos to get guns". You suspect the culture's too far gone down that route to ever recover its sanity.

The sense of entitlement to own a gun is too great in America. The NRA are a lobby group that will not tolerate being fucked around with. Things will never change. It's like trying to ban football in England.

Piers Morgan tried to tackle the issue head on with his show on CNN and he and his show has been shafted and he is long forgotten over there.

The sense of entitlement to own a gun is too great in America. The NRA are a lobby group that will not tolerate being fucked around with. Things will never change. It's like trying to ban football in England.

Piers Morgan tried to tackle the issue head on with his show on CNN and he and his show has been shafted and he is long forgotten over there.

Piers Morgan is Cath-word, that is the only reason he's been forgotten.

Piers Morgan is Cath-word, that is the only reason he's been forgotten.

Can honestly say I've never watched him while on CNN. In fact, he only gained my serious attention during the Ashes series where he became overly mouthy about England's chances before it and then for their ineptitude during it. Don't know too much about him, but I don't disagree with your sentiments. I do recall the death threats and general ill-will directed to him on Twitter by Americans after tackling US gun laws on his show. He does have guts if nothing else. :lol:

Can honestly say I've never watched him while on CNN. In fact, he only gained my serious attention during the Ashes series where he became overly mouthy about England's chances before it and then for their ineptitude during it. Don't know too much about him, but I don't disagree with your sentiments. I do recall the death threats and general ill-will directed to him on Twitter by Americans after tackling US gun laws on his show. He does have guts if nothing else. :lol:

guts?, maybe....a lust for the limelight more likely, and as such he is willing to say anything that would create controversy/fanfare/ratings/etc.

It says a great deal that the response to "psycho shoots schoolkids" is (and perhaps has to be) "arm the school staff" rather than "make it harder for psychos to get guns". You suspect the culture's too far gone down that route to ever recover its sanity.

Thing is, there's plenty of laws on the books to keep psychos from owning guns. You will never be able to stop all of the people with evil intent from doing what they want to do. As you've seen yourself, you still have the butcher sawing a head off in the streets of London. Ban knives yet? People with evil intent and drive will find ways to do harm and the law is the least of their concerns. Defending yourself and the innocent from such evil is a moral prerogative and I don't understand the resistance to it honestly.

Even though the famous quote about Admiral Yamamoto's reservations about invading America may be dubious in attribution, it holds true from a logical standpoint.

Edited by Graing

guts?, maybe....a lust for the limelight more likely, and as such he is willing to say anything that would create controversy/fanfare/ratings/etc.

I have no doubt his intent was to be a shock jock. I also have no doubt that he was true to his convictions. Unfortunately for him he underestimated the reaction of Americans to give a fuck abvout his English thought processes.

Thing is, there's plenty of laws on the books to keep psychos from owning guns. You will never be able to stop all of the people with evil intent from doing what they want to do. As you've seen yourself, you still have the butcher sawing a head off in the streets of London. Ban knives yet? People with evil intent and drive will find ways to do harm and the law is the least of their concerns. Defending yourself and the innocent from such evil is a moral prerogative and I don't understand the resistance to it honestly.

Even though the famous quote about Admiral Yamamoto's reservations about invading America may be dubious in attribution, it holds true from a logical standpoint.

this is what worries me about this sort of attitude....

http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion/op-ed/Lakritz+Kalamazoo+police+officer+letter+editor+about+handguns+points+cultural+divide/7054368/story.html

And so, Americans, unaware of just how sick their handgun mentality is, continue to fight like crazy to prevent any kind of handgun-control legislation from being implemented. A 9 mm handgun, purchased legally, was the weapon of choice in Oak Creek, Wis., on Sunday when six people were killed and three more wounded by a white supremacist at a Sikh temple. One might argue that if the worshippers had carried guns, they could have killed the guy first. But sitting in a temple armed to the teeth while listening to a sermon about brotherhood and peace is ridiculous.

"Many would say I have no need to carry (a handgun) in Canada," Wawra wrote. "Yet I have a unique perspective based on years of police experience. The perspective (is that) the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be allowed to protect himself if the need arises... My perspective proved true a few days ago for my wife and I."

It doesn't seem to have occurred to Wawra that the need didn't arise in Calgary, and that if he'd been carrying a handgun, two people might now be dead because they asked him if he'd been to the Stampede.

As an American who is also a Canadian citizen, all I can say is, thank God I live in Canada.

Sophistry. I can provide anecdotal stories of armed citizens stopping murderers after one or two shots fired where they could have killed 20. You can find them too if you look.

The latest homicide rates from the CDC is 5.3 persons in 100,000. The homicide rate by firearms is 3.6 in 100,000. Homicide is the 18th ranked cause of death in the US.

I think some of you have a caricature view of the American public's attitude on firearms. It's not what you see on TV, film or read in the rags.

Edited by Graing

Sophistry. I can provide anecdotal stories of armed citizens stopping murderers after one or two shots fired where they could have killed 20. You can find them too if you look.

The latest homicide rates from the CDC is 5.3 persons in 100,000. The homicide rate by firearms is 3.6 in 100,000. Homicide is the 18th ranked cause of death in the US.

I think some of you have a caricature view of the American public's attitude on firearms. It's not what you see on TV, film or read in the rags.

and yet you are on here saying that the solution to "evil" people with guns, is everybody with guns. but you're not gun crazy, riiiiight.

Not sure of stats elsewhere. Those were from 2010 CDC stats (latest official). I know the rate has dropped since then. Canada has much tighter restrictions on gun ownership from what I remember.

You also can't ignore the cultural implications. There are serious differences between the countries in that respect. I live within an hour and a half to two hours of 3 of the 12 or so worst cities in the US for homicide: Flint, Pontiac and Detroit. Most of those crimes - the VAST majority - are committed by weapons that have been obtained illegally by gang bangers and thugs who go through back channels to obtain them.

I am all for clamping down on illegal gun sales and transfers and improvements to the turnaround on getting felons, psychos, etc into the database. All licensed dealers must perform a background check through the govt database before a sale. If there is are improvements to be made, it is to improve the database management, MUCH harder penalties for those who don't go through FFL's and aggressive police efforts to cut criminal channels for illegal sales - not further prohibitions on law abiding citizens. We saw how well prohibition worked out with alcohol.

Also interesting, California state rep. Yee has been a very aggressive liberal anti-gun crusader. He was just popped by the Feds for arms dealing... Including shoulder mounted stuff.

Off take the boy golfing.

and yet you are on here saying that the solution to "evil" people with guns, is everybody with guns. but you're not gun crazy, riiiiight.

Name calling tooner? That's ok. Don't think you get it, maybe I 'll try to explain a little better after golf. But you seem fairly closed minded. Cheers

Name calling tooner? That's ok. Don't think you get it, maybe I 'll try to explain a little better after golf. But you seem fairly closed minded. Cheers

:lol: not really name calling, i was referring to americans as gun crazy, my apologies if i offended you.

just pointing out the facts

Populations: US 313 (ish) million , Canada 34(ish) million

# of guns (civilians): US (270-310) million, Canada 9.95 million

in the US total # of homicides in 2011 (15,953), # of gun homicides (11,101) about 69.5%

in Canada # of homicides in 2011 (529), # of gun homicides (173) about 32.7%

maybe the regulations we have are working.