Another Shooting in America

The Fish

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They put the cuffs on him. That doesn't tend to happen unless you're arrested. If he was being such a 'dozy cunt' why didn't they just tell him to move on? If there was a potential shoot out on the cards I wouldn't be within half a mile if I could help it but that doesn't mean I think the police can go around clapping people in irons who cross some arbitrary and invisible line into the realms of Too Close.

I find your justification of their actions (and the level of contempt you hold the man in) as troubling as the actions themselves tbh.

Watched it now. Stopped it as soon as the dog started barking. The bloke was holding his phone like a flamboyant ref giving out a yellow card, and I think it's probably fair to say he was hoping for a reaction.

But it's the police's responsibility to handle situations like that. Putting him in cuffs for it was absolutely ridiculous - Christ knows what the charge was. Just a shame that it's ended up with his dog getting killed.

• 2 months later...

The vast majority of gun deaths are to do with crime (drugs) and poverty. The media very rarely cover that with the same zeal as they love to jump on tragedies like this. The media rarely if ever draw the proper corrolations between the underclass and guns and the entertainment industry (where the gun and violence is king) and the ongoing needless deaths across the country. Cause they aren't really that intrested in it in all reality and that's what brings in the big bucks.

It's easy to say gun laws are to blame. Too easy...That is what makes me anrgy. As the quote earlier says let's look at the real issues behind the american psyche and guns and mental health and poverty, rather than chase ratings on the back of what is yet another tragedy. It's nothing to do with fukin gun laws or gun use. The vast and overwhelming majority of americans never even use their guns.

But do they have the right to bear arms? Of course they do or we'd still be running the place.ate

As someone said on another forum it's imossible for us to understand the relationship americans have with thier guns and how ingrained it is in their culture (way of life).

0*Riz5SvOEHagZvNjA.png

I'd like a source for the 1.4 million domestic gun shooting fatalities.

Edit: in fact really this doesn't tally with the previous graph depicting 3 deaths per 100,000 attributable to guns. Poor stuff.

Edited by Renton

I'd like a source for the 1.4 million domestic gun shooting fatalities.

Edit: in fact really this doesn't tally with the previous graph depicting 3 deaths per 100,000 attributable to guns. Poor stuff.

The graphs track different things.

One is drug/crime related gun murders, which is bound to be lower than the total number of gun related deaths.

The first graph appears to show an incidence of about 3/100,000 per year. Given the population of the states is approximately 300,000,000, I make that about 9000 deaths per year. The second graph gives a 50 year prevalence of 1,400,000, which equates to an annual incidence of about 28,000 per year. Lots of assumptions made, but I don't think your explanation of slightly different things being measured accounts for the discrepancy.

Anyway, surprisingly high number either way, and yes, I am boring myself even now.

The first graph appears to show an incidence of about 3/100,000 per year. Given the population of the states is approximately 300,000,000, I make that about 9000 deaths per year. The second graph gives a 50 year prevalence of 1,400,000, which equates to an annual incidence of about 28,000 per year. Lots of assumptions made, but I don't think your explanation of slightly different things being measured accounts for the discrepancy.

Anyway, surprisingly high number either way, and yes, I am boring myself even now.

Looks to me like the war versus domestic deaths bar chart is about right...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jan/18/mark-shields/pbs-commentator-mark-shields-says-more-killed-guns/

and it's the murders per 100k that's being undersold at just over 3. Currently the murder rate per 100k in the US is higher. 4-6 the last couple of years but peaked at 7-9 in the 90s.

http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/homicide.html

...has the stats up to 2013.

• 5 months later...