Keegan and Liverpool.

Davey Dave

Which players that have been regular first teamers at Newcastle speak more highly of their other clubs?

I can only think of shitehouses like Barnes and Rush. Maybe Bellamy?

I think a lot of the media "myths" about us come from ex players generalising on a theme of the fantastic support they received. Sad to say one of the biggest culprits is Mick Quinn. He talks fuckin bollocks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Err 500,000 didn't die in the Blitz in Liverpool mate :lol: Anyway the Blitz was all but over by mid 1941.

:lol:

Well no, but Liverpool sustained their heaviest bombing in 1941 IIRC. So I bet a lot of people left the area never to return.

Isnt Liverpool a big University city now? It does have some great architecture but the suburbs arent exactly appealing!

Bellamy is a Welsh gloryhunter who supported them as a boy. Wouldn't expect Rush and Barnes to favour us over them to be fair.

Terry Mac is a scouser and won the European cup and league with Liverpool but I'd say he's more part of NUFC than LFC.

Micky Quinn is a passionate Liverpool fan from his childhood, but he's on record as saying the passion on Merseyside is incomparable to that in Newcastle.

Terry Mac aye, by far as well.

Well no, but Liverpool sustained their heaviest bombing in 1941 IIRC. So I bet a lot of people left the area never to return.

Isnt Liverpool a big University city now? It does have some great architecture but the suburbs arent exactly appealing!

Coventry got the worst bombing of any city outside London.

Bellamy is a Welsh gloryhunter who supported them as a boy. Wouldn't expect Rush and Barnes to favour us over them to be fair.

Terry Mac is a scouser and won the European cup and league with Liverpool but I'd say he's more part of NUFC than LFC.

Barnes came because he was mates with KK, just a shame he was a fat bastard by then and not the player he was for the scousers. Don't what we were thinking signing Rush.

More recently - Jenas probably isn't too enamoured with us, especially for the shit he got when he left (and whilst he was here). His goldfish bowl comment springs to mind.

I think the two provinicial groups of people with the strongest and best known identities are geordies and scousers, I wonder people widely find us quite endearing and why scousers are widely looked down upon by many as the worst people in the country. Why is that? Because that's the wider perception as a nation. Stick up for them all you like, but you know for a fact its true, there has to be a definitive reason.

Barnes came because he was mates with KK, just a shame he was a fat bastard by then and not the player he was for the scousers. Don't what we were thinking signing Rush.

More recently - Jenas probably isn't too enamoured with us, especially for the shit he got when he left (and whilst he was here). His goldfish bowl comment springs to mind.

Batty used to say our fans were more passionate than Leeds, but he never loved us as much as Leeds illustrated by his desire to go back there.

I think the two provinicial groups of people with the strongest and best known identities are geordies and scousers, I wonder people widely find us quite endearing and why scousers are widely looked down upon by many as the worst people in the country. Why is that? Because that's the wider perception as a nation. Stick up for them all you like, but you know for a fact its true, there has to be a definitive reason.

Its because their accent is like nails down a blackbored

Through all the Olympics every Brit interviewed has seemed like an intelligent, hard working, respectable individual to be proud of, wherever they come from, whether it's Scotland, the North East, Yorkshire, London, whatever....all except that scally boxer. After 2 Carragheresque words had left his scag addled mouth I assumed he had arrived at he Olympic park in a twocked motor.

Through all the Olympics every Brit interviewed has seemed like an intelligent, hard working, respectable individual to be proud of, wherever they come from, whether it's Scotland, the North East, Yorkshire, London, whatever....all except that scally boxer. After 2 Carragheresque words had left his scag addled mouth I assumed he had arrived at he Olympic park in a twocked motor.

You forgot to mention the twat who said he'd spent 2 years on the lash after a dismal performance in the athletics.

You forgot to mention the twat who said he'd spent 2 years on the lash after a dismal performance in the athletics.

He was quality.

The scally Boxer could have been very bright and is clearly as hard working and admirable as the rest of the olympians, my point was more that I'm a racist and believe any scouser with an accent stronger than Joey Bozwell should be in jail.

Because people like to generalise about the lowest common denominator?...its a bit like saying you like killing kids because you're from the same city as Mary Bell. Thats fuckin bollocks obviously. But its about as logical as saying all scousers are theives, the football fans are murderers etc etc..

It comes from their own "thrawn" independant and deeply militant attitude, iyam. For this they were completly vilified in the press in the 80s, the place was bankrupt, no one had a job....but they had the best football side in Europe. Then Heysel happened,then Hillsborough,then Jamie Bulger... only one of them can be attributed to a tiny minority of one group as far as blame goes, and the state of the stadium wouldve made sure that any gang who wanted to have a go wouldve had largley the same "result"...lets face it, Liverpool didnt have the same reputation as Chelsea,West Ham,Leeds and numerous others at the time for hooliganism. Anyone wanting to gobshite off in general terms about anything will eventually repeat the bollocks you (and a lot of Tory's, morning Boris) usually roll out about Liverpool, with the seed planted in their minds by a press industry with an agenda,which amounts to a basic willingness to demonise everyone, even whole cities, if it will sell a newspaper.

Theyre no angels, thats for sure. But show me any city that has model citizens and I'll show you never never land.

Because people like to generalise about the lowest common denominator?...its a bit like saying you like killing kids because you're from the same city as Mary Bell. Thats fuckin bollocks obviously. But its about as logical as saying all scousers are theives, the football fans are murderers etc etc..

It comes from their own "thrawn" independant and deeply militant attitude, iyam. For this they were completly vilified in the press in the 80s, the place was bankrupt, no one had a job....but they had the best football side in Europe. Then Heysel happened,then Hillsborough,then Jamie Bulger... only one of them can be attributed to a tiny minority of one group as far as blame goes, and the state of the stadium wouldve made sure that any gang who wanted to have a go wouldve had largley the same "result"...lets face it, Liverpool didnt have the same reputation as Chelsea,West Ham,Leeds and numerous others at the time for hooliganism. Anyone wanting to gobshite off in general terms about anything will eventually repeat the bollocks you (and a lot of Tory's, morning Boris) usually roll out about Liverpool, with the seed planted in their minds by a press industry with an agenda,which amounts to a basic willingness to demonise everyone, even whole cities, if it will sell a newspaper.

Theyre no angels, thats for sure. But show me any city that has model citizens and I'll show you never never land.

The press can only have so much influence, and you've obviously listened to too many of their insular victim like views, and for some reason or another fallen for it. Take The Sun, they've done little but arselick Merseyside since Hillsborough, while a spor of what you say may be true of views from the 80's, I'm talking about today.

But no other city persistently wanks off about their disasters in the way that liverpool does.

I think as I said what Paddocklad has said there is bollocks, he actually mirrors their views, and obviously has some attachment to the city. Newcastle faced the bleak 80's, with the end of industries like coal mining, but we rebuilt and got on with it, they alienated themselves, blamed everyone, and created an even bigger siege mentality.

Yes but you're just a victim of media driven propaganda to reach this bigoted view, I hope you realise this.

The press can only have so much influence, and you've obviously listened to too many of their insular victim like views, and for some reason or another fallen for it. Take The Sun, they've done little but arselick Merseyside since Hillsborough, while a spor of what you say may be true of views from the 80's, I'm talking about today.

The trouble with that is, the past informs the present. The country didnt wake up suddenly and decide all scousers are vermin,feral scum, something has planted the idea in the first place. Judge an entire city on the actions of a few if you must, but if its just to prove you've got the loudest voice in the pub its a poor show. I work with dozens of scousers every day, and theyre no better and no worse than anyone else. And they certainly dont consider themselves to be victims.But I'm sure youve heard some in the media who do, and will judge the rest accordingly.

People are easily lead, and the media do most of the leading in this country.. I've no connection whatsover with the city, I just think all cities are much the same. Youve got an agenda to paint Newcastle as the greatest place under the sun, and whilst am inordinately fond of the place myself, I can see theres nothing new under the sun. You can belligerantly try to cow people into agreeing with you all you want, it doesnt change the fact that all cities have all the same social problems. You can point bad things scousers have done, anyone can point to Mary Bell and Raoull Moat. It means fuck all in the big scheme of things.

Speak as you find etc and I've gotten on with supporters of all clubs as well as disliking some. I've definitely met more decent scousers than bad. I got on like a house on fire with a red manc on a Hol years ago. Like I Say, you speak as you find.

By the way, pretty sure half of paddocklads family are mancs unless I'm mistaken? ;)

Speak as you find etc and I've gotten on with supporters of all clubs as well as disliking some. I've definitely met more decent scousers than bad. I got on like a house on fire with a red manc on a Hol years ago. Like I Say, you speak as you find.

By the way, pretty sure half of paddocklads family are mancs unless I'm mistaken? ;)

Correct mate. A family wedding is like a bad episode of Shameless :)

I just dont think theres hardly any differences at all in people. Theres good and bad in everyone....weve got learn to live, learn to give each other, what we need to survive, together alive ;)

The trouble with that is, the past informs the present. The country didnt wake up suddenly and decide all scousers are vermin,feral scum, something has planted the idea in the first place. Judge an entire city on the actions of a few if you must, but if its just to prove you've got the loudest voice in the pub its a poor show. I work with dozens of scousers every day, and theyre no better and no worse than anyone else. And they certainly dont consider themselves to be victims.But I'm sure youve heard some in the media who do, and will judge the rest accordingly.

People are easily lead, and the media do most of the leading in this country.. I've no connection whatsover with the city, I just think all cities are much the same. Youve got an agenda to paint Newcastle as the greatest place under the sun, and whilst am inordinately fond of the place myself, I can see theres nothing new under the sun. You can belligerantly try to cow people into agreeing with you all you want, it doesnt change the fact that all cities have all the same social problems. You can point bad things scousers have done, anyone can point to Mary Bell and Raoull Moat. It means fuck all in the big scheme of things.

Which is one way of looking at it, we've all worked with good and bad people, but do you think Happy Face's point of view is driven by the media portraying them as vermin? Or just because many of them choose to revel in their insular mentality and choose to come across as common as fuck. I'd like you to show me a few examples of media propaganda against Liverpool and scousers.

Coventry got the worst bombing of any city outside London.

Wrong as usual.

Liverpool, and Merseyside as a whole, due to their importance to the war, was the most bombed city outside of London. After that there's Birmingham, in fact most of Coventry survived intact. Hull, proportionately, lost more buildings than Liverpool, but both cities were devastated by the Luftwaffe.

""Over 6,500 homes in Liverpool were completely demolished by bombing with around 190,000 damaged.

Bootle, to the north of the city, suffered the most appalling damage and loss of life. Whole swathes of streets simply disappeared and today, street maps of the district show huge grassed over areas in an otherwise densely populated area.""

The reason we have three tunnels under the Mersey instead of bridges is because of Liverpools strategic position in the war. The luftwaffe would have created chaos across the country had we had bridges they could bomb, because it would have taken so long to clear the debri from the shipping lanes.

Merseyside had over 4,000 dead. Half as many again injured. Anyone who knew their war history would know Liverpool's role in the second world war.

Liverpool 2,716

Birkenhead 442

Bootle 409

Wallasey 332

"In 1941 the population of the City of Liverpool was 900,000 today it's a little over 400,000, I doubt there's a city anywhere in the western hemisphere which has seen such desertion. I bet the population of Hiroshima didn't even go down that much, and it's another reason as to why it feels so desperate and desolate"

Do you think a lot of it might be to do with the fact that much of it's housing stock was bombed to smithereens in the war? You really are something else

""After the war, Liverpool had suffered much damage from the blitz and much of its remaining housing stock was poor and considered slums. In an effort to improve these conditions. Liverpool Corporation began a policy of buying surrounding areas and moving industry and people to newly developed 'overspill' estates. This process culminated with the purchase of 4,070 acres (16.5 km2) of land, including the land comprising Kirkby from the Earl of Sefton in 1947 for £375,000 (£10.9 million inflation adjusted). Kirkby would become the largest of these overspill estates for Merseyside.""

The others were Skelmerdale, Speke and Runcorn (which has a mix of Scousers and Mancs.)

The media have been on Liverpools back for the best part of 30 years as far s I can make out; before Hillsborough he Murdoch press annhilated the City of Liverpool and its council for daring to defy the Thatcher government over rate capping in the run up to the introduction to the poll tax. Derek Hatton, the leader, was held up as a pariah for the whole nation to mock. Then, for obvious reasons, that stopped after 89. But Thatcher's spawn eventually stuck the knife in as well:

In 2004, Boris Johnson was ordered by the then Tory leader Michael Howard to go to Liverpool and apologise for an article in The Spectator which accused the city of "wallowing" in its "victim status".

He said Liverpudlians made a scapegoat of police in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster, refusing to acknowledge the part played "by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground".

The article, on 16 October, said people in Liverpool "cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance about the rest of society".

The man that said that wants to be the next prime minister, neglecting to add that Lord Justice Taylor, if he were still alive, would say "bollocks" to it. And he'd also have the evidence to prove it.

After that was published it was open season for those who only see what they want to see. Anyone can say what they want, but theres two sides to everything. HF made a glib remark, which I certainly didnt take offence to, but at the same time it comes from somewhere. Its difficult to tell on here at times whats a wind up and whats a sincerely held view, HF was having a crack, but some seem to go a bit OTT on this. Thats what get my goat.