Keegan and Liverpool.

Davey Dave

Guest CabayeAye

I'd rather brave a blitz than live in that shit-hole. I suspect that the general cuntishness of the place is to blame for emigration, not the Nazis.

Typical murderers, blaming everyone but themselves.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wonder what people have to hide when they don't link to a source.

Sorry HF, not trying to hide anything, I was just looking for figures to justfy what I knew from the top of my head. I'm sure being the fact finder you are, you'll soon find out what is true and whats not. ;)

Edited by Pacinofan

The media have been on Liverpools back for the best part of 30 years as far s I can make out; before Hillsborough he Murdoch press annhilated the City of Liverpool and its council for daring to defy the Thatcher government over rate capping in the run up to the introduction to the poll tax. Derek Hatton, the leader, was held up as a pariah for the whole nation to mock. Then, for obvious reasons, that stopped after 89. But Thatcher's spawn eventually stuck the knife in as well:

In 2004, Boris Johnson was ordered by the then Tory leader Michael Howard to go to Liverpool and apologise for an article in The Spectator which accused the city of "wallowing" in its "victim status".

He said Liverpudlians made a scapegoat of police in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster, refusing to acknowledge the part played "by drunken fans at the back of the crowd who mindlessly tried to fight their way into the ground".

The article, on 16 October, said people in Liverpool "cannot accept that they might have made any contribution to their misfortunes, but seek rather to blame someone else for it, thereby deepening their sense of shared tribal grievance about the rest of society".

The man that said that wants to be the next prime minister, neglecting to add that Lord Justice Taylor, if he were still alive, would say "bollocks" to it. And he'd also have the evidence to prove it.

After that was published it was open season for those who only see what they want to see. Anyone can say what they want, but theres two sides to everything. HF made a glib remark, which I certainly didnt take offence to, but at the same time it comes from somewhere. Its difficult to tell on here at times whats a wind up and whats a sincerely held view, HF was having a crack, but some seem to go a bit OTT on this. Thats what get my goat.

I noticed years ago that quite a lot of southerners had an almost vehement hatred of Liverpool in a way which wasn't matched up here. Not saying they were universally liked up here but it seems far worse than it ever was.

I noticed years ago that quite a lot of southerners had an almost vehement hatred of Liverpool in a way which wasn't matched up here. Not saying they were universally liked up here but it seems far worse than it ever was.

Scousers and Jocks ran the south coast drugs trade in the 90s as far as I could make out.The likes of Bournemouth and Torquay were riddled with scousers, and now in the 21st century theres a nasty firm of ex UDA henchmen and strangely, a team from Jarrow running the show here in Dorset. Nasty fuckers all.

As far as Keegan is concerned, I think the fact that he was replaced by KD was, as some on here have said, the reason that his contribution wasn't missed. Most LFC fans still love Keegan as a player and give him lots of credit but we were spoiled for great players over the 70's and 80's so he gets a bit lost in the mix.

Keegan probably felt a bit miffed when he was coming back to this country because Liverpool didn't choose to take up their first option on his services, so he went to Southampton.

I think he was allowed to be a superstar at Newcastle and built up an affinity with the fans and city that appealed to him, strengthening when he became manager.

As far as I know whenever he speaks about us it's positive, I think I read somewhere that he still says Liverpool fans made him.

Kenny Dalglish came here in '77 and has never left, even when he was managing elsewhere. He's always attended games over all of those years but only became a part of the club again when Rafa brought him in 3 or 4 years ago.

PL talks a lot of sense on this thread. Liverpool is a good city, far better than the likes of Sheffield or Birmingham. I'd say it was the closest in feeling to Newcastle out of any other city in the uk. Always felt there was a bond between scousers and Geordies and we got on well. I don't think Stevie's or CB's views representative of most away fans, although relationships are not what they were, which is a shame.

Liverpool has some desperate areas, true, but so does every large city. Glasgow wins the crown of areas I would not like to be alone at night in though.

I've been reading about the Battle of Britain recently and you do notice that whenever they were bombing outside of the southern airfields, they always took in Liverpool. One of their strategies was to isolate the island. IE bomb shipping ports and also on the seas take out the shipping containers. This is likely one of the reasons (docks). The reason a lot of the homes were bombed is largely due to inaccuracy of bombing (through clouds etc) more than intention of bombing the population. This only changed late on when Hitler decided he would in fact bomb London which until then he had avoided (as he respected the city and wanted it part of his larger Europe).

this is what the politicians thought of Liverpool as a city just as the team was winning its 3rd European Cup....

London has a Conservative mayor who famously accused Liverpool of displaying a ‘deeply unattractive psyche’, and even of ‘wallowing in its victim status’. But as a cockney myself, I reckon scousers can be forgiven for feeling that little bit chippy.

Nor is Boris Johnson’s attitude any novelty within his party, as is demonstrated by today’s revelation that back in 1981, top Tories Geoffrey Howe and Sir Keith Joseph advised Margaret Thatcher to abandon that beastly city altogether.

Howe actually employed the expression ‘managed decline’, before duplicitously warning everyone else against using such a scandalous locution in the public’s earshot. Thanks to the 30 year rule, the gaffe is now public. Be sure your sin will find you out.

http://liberalconspiracy.org/2011/12/30/what-exactly-is-londons-problem-with-liverpool/

Thatcher then used The Sun as a stick to beat the city and its inhabitants with. Possibly because of the much mentioned Irish/Welsh "bad blood" spirit, they gave a massive "fuck you" back to her and the rest of the country. Anyone who is interested in social history and hasnt seen the "Boys from the Blackstuff" by Alan Bleasdale should give it a look. Its pretty much all there.

In defence of the people of Liverpool...I've never met a scouser who isn't good natured, generous, genuine and a decent laugh. As a city, like anywhere, it's got some absolute shitholes of course but, as someone else said, when you go to the right parts it's a place that does strike a chord with me and reminds me of Newcastle in many ways. Some of the best people I know are Liverpool fans and although they are sometimes blinkered and tainted by a glorious past, they are still good, honest football fans who know their onions. Absolute stereotypical nonsense that CabayeAye is coming out with - in fact Geordies and Scousers have a lot in common and we should stand together.