Meite

Scottish Mag

Skysports.com can confirm Newcastle are looking to sign Marseille defender Abdoulaye Meite.

The Magpies have held talks with Marseille over a move for the powerful defender and Meite is expected to fly into Newcastle to discuss a possible switch to St James' Park.

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness is keen to shore up his leaky defence and sees Meite as the ideal man to do that as he can play anywhere across the back-line.

Meite has been linked with a move to England for some time after impressing against Liverpool and Newcastle in the Uefa Cup two seasons ago.

Bolton have been credited with an interest in Meite in the past, but Newcastle are hoping to win the race for his services.

However, the deal could hinge on Meite's participation in the African Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast.

Newcastle are thought to be only willing to push through a deal if Meite decides not to play in the tournament and puts the club first.

The player's agent Willie McKay revealed Newcastle have expressed an interest in the player and that a deal could happen.

"I know Freddy Shepherd has spoken to [Marseille chairman] Pape Diouf about Meite and a deal could happen," McKay told skysports.com.

"Meite would be keen on a move to Newcastle, but the deal could depend on whether or not he plays in the African Cup of Nations.

"Newcastle want him now to help them out and they do not want to sign him and then see him go away with the Ivory Coast to the African Cup of Nations.

"Meite is a top player and I think he is ideal to play in The Premiership, as he is strong and aggressive as he showed in the Uefa Cup against Liverpool and Newcastle."

The player's agent Willie McKay revealed Newcastle have expressed an interest

I'm suspicious of the amount of players this man has been involved with regards moves to our club. I don't know if it's coincidence (although with FFS i doubt it) but he seems to make a lot of 15%'s

From the 0-0 draw he looked like he could handle Shearer.

sfgnew230404.jpg

While Boum never seems interested & Bramble is...well Bramble...! We could do with someone who can get stuck in like he did.

74930[/snapback]

Now come on, that Whittle bloke got stuck into Shearer and kept him quiet-ish for 89 minutes against Leyton Orient. :lol:

Now come on, that Whittle bloke got stuck into Shearer and kept him quiet-ish for 89 minutes against Leyton Orient:lol:

74931[/snapback]

Grimsby?

74937[/snapback]

I think he looked at the table and chose one of the top three to mention.

Not sure Grimsby fans would be happy to know Whittle has gone to the Orient though ;)

Abdoulaye Meite could be on the brink of a move to England, even though Newcastle United have reservations about signing the Marseille defender.

The Ivory Coast international has been targeted by Graeme Souness but his probable departure for the African Cup of Nations has made the Scot have second thoughts.

Souness had suggested on Friday that he would only bring in a defender with Premiership experience.

"For Meite, we await an answer from the Newcastle hierarchy," said l'OM president Pape Diouf. "They are interested but they have reservations as Meite could participate in the African Cup of Nations.

"Meite will move to an English team. An English club is very interested in signing him but he is actually with the Ivorian team."

The African defender has confided that he expects to head for The Premiership with Bolton Wanderers, Middlesbrough and Everton three of a number of other clubs previously on his trail.

"I will come to England," he told skysports.com. "I am waiting for a signal and for the little details to sign for the English team.

"But I can't say anything yet."