Everton v Newcastle United ---- 17/9/2012

JonTheMag

To be honest, if Colo is fit I'd be a lot more positive than if, say, Tiote was back. He's just such a leader of the back, they all take their cues from him.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think some of you are worrying too much about the defence and not enough about the attack.

Graft is all well and good but we have two quality strikers that are currently getting shit service. We cant go into every game as we currently are, hoping HBA is going to pull something out of the hat.

If Pardew does not address the left wing we will continue to struggle.

Perch is supposedly back as well so I'd say we'll likely see him start at fullback with Anita in midfield and Bigi on the bench.

Bigi will then be fresh to feature in the midweek European match. Can't see Coloccini being rushed back.

Our best form of defence might have to be attack in this game.

Think some of you are worrying too much about the defence and not enough about the attack.

Graft is all well and good but we have two quality strikers that are currently getting shit service. We cant go into every game as we currently are, hoping HBA is going to pull something out of the hat.

If Pardew does not address the left wing we will continue to struggle.

Lets ignore your personal crusade for a moment and state it's pretty hard to attack if you've not got the ball.

Lets ignore your personal crusade for a moment and state it's pretty hard to attack if you've not got the ball.

Problem is we get plenty of the ball in the first two thirds of the pitch and then it brakes down or is passed to HBA in the hope he can pull something off.

As Jonny rightly says, part of this is due to the midfield not firing right, but a larger part is due to no outlet on the left.

Currently what happens is that it goes to Jonas and then sometimes Santon will make a run and give us an option. He has become our main threat on the left.

This unfortunately gives us no chance of a fast break down the left as Santon is always (rightly) doing his main job of covering left back. The element of surprise has gone by the time Jonas holds it up and Santon joins in.

As for personnel I'm not too fussed who it is as long as they can provide service to Ba and Cisse.

Obviously I think Marveaux or Ferguson should get a chance.

perdantic?

Anyway, CT, my point is that it's not that the wide players haven't been making opportunities, it's that we're not going to have the ball. Newcastle will be chasing the ball a lot and that mean no ball to wide players, regardless of who it is.

and I said personal, as in you want rid of Jonas. Boy could put in a Man of the Match performance but you'd point to "Shane's" one dribble against Bumfuck Idaho in a preseason game as evidence he should be starting ahead of him. It's boring.

perdantic?

Anyway, CT, my point is that it's not that the wide players haven't been making opportunities, it's that we're not going to have the ball. Newcastle will be chasing the ball a lot and that mean no ball to wide players, regardless of who it is.

This can only be based on you wanting to win am argument ( too long in Wolfy threads).

We do not have a wide player on the left creating chances.

We are not constantly chasing the ball.

We have the ball plenty in the first two thirds and then struggle in the last third.

Do you not understand these two points?

Have you watched us play this season (serious question btw, not superman stuff).

This can only be based on you wanting to win am argument ( too long in Wolfy threads).

We do not have a wide player on the left creating chances.

We are not constantly chasing the ball.

We have the ball plenty in the first two thirds and then struggle in the last third.

Do you not understand these two points?

Have you watched us play this season (serious question btw, not superman stuff).

We're missing our best centre half (most likely) our first and second choice right back, our best defensive midfielder.

I'm not talking about how we've performed without these absences in previous games, I'm talking about how we are going to perform without these players in the upcoming game against a competent, combative side.

More reason why we should get our attack right.

We are no good when we simply try and soak up and defend.

There is the possibility those who come in defensive wise, will do well.

There is no possibility of us creating more from the left without Pardew doing something about it.

I think this is a big season for Pardew and one where he needs to show he has the ability to be a top English manager. Part of that is making tough decisions, even taking the odd gamble.

His detractors could point to a wealth of talent put on a plate for him last season by others. They could point to the "in camp" that ruled the roost, moved on by others.

We are shite on the left, not creating chances for Ba and Cisse, over reliant on Ben Arfa and not getting anywhere near the best out of Cabaye.

Time for Pardew to step up.

There is no possibility of us creating more from the left without Pardew doing something about it.

I think this is a big season for Pardew and one where he needs to show he has the ability to be a top English manager. Part of that is making tough decisions, even taking the odd gamble.

His detractors could point to a wealth of talent put on a plate for him last season by others. They could point to the "in camp" that ruled the roost, moved on by others.

We are shite on the left, not creating chances for Ba and Cisse, over reliant on Ben Arfa and not getting anywhere near the best out of Cabaye.

I have to agree with CT like.

If we are going to be weakened in defence we have to be stronger in attack, have the ball more, keep it better, use it better and lessen the threat that can be put on our distrupted defensive unit.

Saying we are relying on Barfa too much is a little premature though CT, we are only three games into the league season, Ben Arfa has hit the ground running and has been our best player but we will see Cabaye step up, i also think Marveaux will be used quite a lot too, as will Amalfitano. Its just a case of us getting up to speed as a team and finding our stride in a system.

Thats where i will agree with you again, the system, the managers ability to choose the correct one and utilise the best players in each specific role. This is where AP has to stand up and show why he deserves the accolades he picked up last year. He has been hindered by injuries though, you have to take that into the bargain.

Once we have Tiote back and Cabaye into form we will se a different side, most likely a 4231 system too. Jonas and Ben Arfa on either side of them with Ba sitting behind Cisse. I fully expect Marveaux to be used on the left quite a bit too.

What is your fascination with Ferguson CT? I actually think he is shite...

Winning the Premier League and LMA manager of the year doesn't suggest he already is a top English manager?

I really don't know why I bother.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Youre scapegoating Jonas when the fact of the matter is we play 4-4-2 pretty shite against teams who play 3 in midfield. That all stems from the CM's as they're not getting a foothold on the game, which was shown in our last few games. It's not getting the best out of the players. The decision Pardew needs to make is to shift to 4-3-3, not dropping Jonas.

Stop critisizing for the sake of it and look at the bigger picture, not just at one player.

Edited by StoneColdStephenIreland

I have to agree with CT like.

If we are going to be weakened in defence we have to be stronger in attack, have the ball more, keep it better, use it better and lessen the threat that can be put on our distrupted defensive unit.

Saying we are relying on Barfa too much is a little premature though CT, we are only three games into the league season, Ben Arfa has hit the ground running and has been our best player but we will see Cabaye step up, i also think Marveaux will be used quite a lot too, as will Amalfitano. Its just a case of us getting up to speed as a team and finding our stride in a system.

Thats where i will agree with you again, the system, the managers ability to choose the correct one and utilise the best players in each specific role. This is where AP has to stand up and show why he deserves the accolades he picked up last year. He has been hindered by injuries though, you have to take that into the bargain.

Once we have Tiote back and Cabaye into form we will se a different side, most likely a 4231 system too. Jonas and Ben Arfa on either side of them with Ba sitting behind Cisse. I fully expect Marveaux to be used on the left quite a bit too.

What is your fascination with Ferguson CT? I actually think he is shite...

I think he looks quite good.

But putting individuals to one side, I'm no bothered who is out there as long as they are providing quality service for two strikers who would lap it up.

My view ( and others) is that Jonas very rarely does that. Where people used to argue that he did, they now argue "but he covers left back well".

So basically it boils down to whether you want a Jonas type, work hard, add some cover player or a get the ball create for the forwards type player.

For me it's Marveaux or Ferguson or whoever can play that way.

Youre scapegoating Jonas when the fact of the matter is we play 4-4-2 pretty shite against teams who play 3 in midfield. That all stems from the CM's as they're not getting a foothold on the game, which was shown in our last few games. It's not getting the best out of the players. The decision Pardew needs to make is to shift to 4-3-3, not dropping Jonas.

Stop critisizing for the sake of it and look at the bigger picture, not just at one player.

Or we play the 442 crap because Jonas doesn't play as a winger and doesn't attack.

If you don't like reading differing opinions btw, best not visiting forums.

I think it's a fairly accurate assessment that Jonas doesn't deliver enough quality from the left. But it also disregards the fact that we don't get enough quality from the right either in a 4-4-2. Ben Arfa (while clearly being class and our most effective attacking player so far) rarely delivers quality crosses in from the right.

This is why I don't think 4-4-2 in any way suits us any more. We need to go back to playing 4-3-3 or whatever you want to call what we finished last season with. That gets round the problem of wingers who can't put in quality crosses, makes the best use of Cabaye by pushing him further forward and gives an answer to the problem of Ba and Cisse seemingly being unable to play as a front two together.

Whether or not you then try playing Marveaux or Fergusson as the wide left player is another question.