Everton v Newcastle United ---- 17/9/2012

JonTheMag

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: class keeper though; you have to give him that

Aye he was. Even when he was a proper fat cunt he was amazingly agile. I remember when player cam first come out, the first game I watched on it was Bradford v Arsenal, Bradford against someone anyway, and the player cam went on Southall. He must've been 17st, well in his 40's and for the whole time it was on him he was stood in the same spot looking fat and honest to god scratching his arse. I've got no idea why I've just told you that, but that's what I think of when I think of him.

You get that in 5-a-side though, really fat keepers who you think 'this is going to be a piece of piss, look at the porker' and then they're like a fucking cat.

Aye you're spot on there like. There used to be this keeper down Eldon Rec about 10-15 years ago, the only way I can describe his looks is a smaller much much fatter Ed de Goey look alike, he used to fucking stink as well, but he remains to this day the best keeper I've ever seen who wasn't a professional, his reflexes were unbelievable.

Anyone who watched it get a good look at Mirelles? From what I heard on the radio he had a storming 1st half?

I think you've signed quite a player there, he looked very dangerous. Not as good (yet) but reminded me a little of Bellamy.

Wasted on the wing though as he was only able to take pot shots from far out. Jelavic knacked himself early so offered you lot bugger all - should've been Miralles up top.

If Fellaini and Baines get injured then Everton would really struggle imo. Two players who are in great form at the moment that we couldn't cope with all night.

Looking back we deserved the draw as we came back fighting away from home when we'd just had one of the worst first halves in recent times. It could've been a repeat of the Arsenal game when we were multiple goals down at half time. The two offsides were fair enough - the game's played at pace and it's hard for the lino. They were both 50/50 calls tbh so hard done by there. The ball crossed the line aye, but the free kick in the build up was a shocking call. At least it'll highlight to Platini et all that we need the technology and we need it now.

The lack of advantage when Benny was through though was a terrible, terrible call. As bad as not giving Everton's '3rd'. Of all the players in the league to be put through in that sort of fashion, you'd expect him to go all the way and score. I reckon the ref knew this and reacted in Everton's favour. For those knocking Howard - his save from Benny's other chance was top class. That was ghosting in and he got something on it. Very good keeper, was a surprise that Fergie sold him tbh (although I suppose VDS ultimately arriving would've kept Howard out of the team).

Everton look dead certain to finish above Rodger's Reds again though. The next Scouse derby should be a laugh.

Was going to pull Idiot-tek on his audacity to have a pop at our fans but as he's normally a decent enough kid and he's already had Stevie showing him the error of his posts then I'll just his pat him on the head, ruffle his hair and tell him not to drink with the big boys next time. I know someone who had a bad head today. :lol:

Had a look on the site Fish went on and I've got to say, where the fuck does all the anti-NUFC/Geordie bile come from? Classic posts from a club with a successful period well in the past and bitter as fuck just like your Villa's and Forests etc and an almost pathetic reflex to squirm uncontrollably whenever Newcastle's support gets any kind of positive mention from the media just like the likes of the Mackems, Man City and Leeds do. I'll allow for the fact that the internet s a bit different from real life but if even a quarter of them are representative of all Blue Scousers then you've one mighty chip on your shoulders.

I thought we were going to get pasted after twenty minutes so don't know what Pardew said at HT but it worked. Credit to him for making the changes but some of it was his own doing.

Once again, two clear learnings from this game that Pardew can't afford to forget.

Perch can't play anywhere in the back four or any position where he doesn't have a player behind him to bale him out. He can't mark a man giving them too much space, is shite in the air and gets turned far too easily. Move him into a position in midfield and he is better but even then, I hope he doesn't have to play there very often as he is far too limited. Every time he's in the back four its reminiscent of his first half dozen games which don't bear remembering.

Secondly, as I also said ages ago, Pardew hasn't discovered how to get Ba and Cisse to play together. Perhaps he never will because they certainly haven't been able to do it yet. Cisse's overall game was rubbish again last night when he was on his own and after Ba came on. If we are going to play one up front, it has to be Ba based on performances to date. I don't see any chemistry or understanding between these two so far. Fuck knows what's going on in training because it's not happening in a game.

Overall, pretty damn happy with the point. I think Everton has every right to feel aggrieved. Both goals looked good but we will take it. A point at Goodison is a result I can live with.

That said, there were more negatives than positives, and some really questionable decision making from Pardew to START the match. In addition, we were about as lucky as possible to avoid defeat- and that isn't even factoring in one disallowed goal and one that was not given.

The 4-5-1 was an absolute disaster- and employed so ineffectively by our staff. We had Jonas again in the middle of the pitch, sometimes as the deepest midfielder. He is positionally naive, with a propensity to follow the ball like a puppy. See: Everton's goal for evidence of such. You don't stick a player like that as a defensive midfielder, no matter how strong the work-rate. He's also not the calmest on the ball- normally he bombs forward and if he loses it, no big deal. Here, you saw when he came under pressure in the middle of the pitch- he gave it away. You cannot afford to do that. It would be one thing if you had no other options, but if you were to employ the 4-5-1 it's clear how it SHOULD work.

As it was, you had literally no outlet outside from hoofing the ball to Cisse. At which point he had to either hold it up or lose it. This not only gave us zero going forward, it allowed their full-backs to bomb forward with impunity. Creating several chances, one of which obviously found the back of the net. For 25 minutes to start the match, we were completely on the back foot with nothing to offer. Very lucky not to be out of the match after that period.

I believe the effective solution would have been allowing Ben Arfa freedom and sticking Jonas on the wing where Perch was. This was another huge mistake. You start Marveux on the right side with Perch. You don't put two liabilities on the same side of the pitch if possible to avoid.

Stick Jonas in front of Perch, as you know his work rate will help cover. Defensively on the WING, Jonas is a good option. On the other side, you have Marveux and Santon. Ben Arfa would play at the tip, as such:

Ben Arfa

Marveux Jonas

------Cabaye------Anita-----

Ben Arfa would still have defensive liability here. The object of Ben Arfa’s deployment in this position is to pressure higher up the pitch, force them to play backwards and try to clog up the holes. Furthermore, by not sticking him on the left, you give him the freedom to pick up the ball as an outlet anywhere on the pitch. This prevents you from having to hoof it to Cisse. We saw Ben Arfa try to gather the ball from Krul on a few occasions out of frustration. With Cayabe and Anita as ball playing holding midfielders, it makes perfect sense to use Ben Arfa there as an outlet.

I thought it was also a bit of a surprise to use Cisse up front by himself, as his form thus far this season has not been up to snuff. At least Ba has looked threatening.

The changes at half were good. We at least occupied their defense and kept them from pushing forward as much as they would have wanted. I thought Ameobi could have come on earlier- but full credit to him for being a nusiance- with ten minutes to go that was a hell of a shift to put in.

I could go on, but I doubt any of you have even made it this far :lol:

We were dismal in the first half and looked like we went there to basically park the bus. We looked nervous.

Everton on the other hand were outstanding in that first half and would have given any team a wake up call.

The second half was brilliant and a joy to watch and it looked like we had put a brand new team out. It just goes to show you that a half time team talk and a few changes(especially Ba) can do.

We can take a lot of heart from that second half performance and I'm sure it will have given Pardew a lot of food for thought in how he starts games from now on.

All in all, a very good point, even though the officials had a big hand in that, yet it's swings and roundabouts isn't it.

Overall, pretty damn happy with the point. I think Everton has every right to feel aggrieved. Both goals looked good but we will take it. A point at Goodison is a result I can live with.

That said, there were more negatives than positives, and some really questionable decision making from Pardew to START the match. In addition, we were about as lucky as possible to avoid defeat- and that isn't even factoring in one disallowed goal and one that was not given.

The 4-5-1 was an absolute disaster- and employed so ineffectively by our staff. We had Jonas again in the middle of the pitch, sometimes as the deepest midfielder. He is positionally naive, with a propensity to follow the ball like a puppy. See: Everton's goal for evidence of such. You don't stick a player like that as a defensive midfielder, no matter how strong the work-rate. He's also not the calmest on the ball- normally he bombs forward and if he loses it, no big deal. Here, you saw when he came under pressure in the middle of the pitch- he gave it away. You cannot afford to do that. It would be one thing if you had no other options, but if you were to employ the 4-5-1 it's clear how it SHOULD work.

As it was, you had literally no outlet outside from hoofing the ball to Cisse. At which point he had to either hold it up or lose it. This not only gave us zero going forward, it allowed their full-backs to bomb forward with impunity. Creating several chances, one of which obviously found the back of the net. For 25 minutes to start the match, we were completely on the back foot with nothing to offer. Very lucky not to be out of the match after that period.

I believe the effective solution would have been allowing Ben Arfa freedom and sticking Jonas on the wing where Perch was. This was another huge mistake. You start Marveux on the right side with Perch. You don't put two liabilities on the same side of the pitch if possible to avoid.

Stick Jonas in front of Perch, as you know his work rate will help cover. Defensively on the WING, Jonas is a good option. On the other side, you have Marveux and Santon. Ben Arfa would play at the tip, as such:

Ben Arfa

Marveux Jonas

------Cabaye------Anita-----

Ben Arfa would still have defensive liability here. The object of Ben Arfa’s deployment in this position is to pressure higher up the pitch, force them to play backwards and try to clog up the holes. Furthermore, by not sticking him on the left, you give him the freedom to pick up the ball as an outlet anywhere on the pitch. This prevents you from having to hoof it to Cisse. We saw Ben Arfa try to gather the ball from Krul on a few occasions out of frustration. With Cayabe and Anita as ball playing holding midfielders, it makes perfect sense to use Ben Arfa there as an outlet.

I thought it was also a bit of a surprise to use Cisse up front by himself, as his form thus far this season has not been up to snuff. At least Ba has looked threatening.

The changes at half were good. We at least occupied their defense and kept them from pushing forward as much as they would have wanted. I thought Ameobi could have come on earlier- but full credit to him for being a nusiance- with ten minutes to go that was a hell of a shift to put in.

I could go on, but I doubt any of you have even made it this far :lol:

On the contrary, a very informative post.

I think you've signed quite a player there, he looked very dangerous. Not as good (yet) but reminded me a little of Bellamy.

Wasted on the wing though as he was only able to take pot shots from far out. Jelavic knacked himself early so offered you lot bugger all - should've been Miralles up top.

If Fellaini and Baines get injured then Everton would really struggle imo. Two players who are in great form at the moment that we couldn't cope with all night.

Thnaks mate, I'm quite excited about him as we've lacked any real flair players for a while now. I think we may see him up top more once he's fully fit but Moyes said he was a few weeks behind everyone else in terms of match fitness and also it'll take him a while to adapt to the likes of Terry kicking him up in the air all the time in this league. Out wide he's probably going to find it a little easier to learn the pace of the game.

I think you're right about Fellaini as we don't really have any back up for him, and Baines is just as important to us... maybe more so tbh as his link up with Stevie P is our most potent attacking threat. Also depending on how badly knackered Jelavic is we may struggle to score goals if he's out for long.

We have a great 1st team but we still have very little depth, which when we have far greater depth than other seasons just shows how mad it is we've done ok over recent years!