Tony Green

Lake Bells tits

Read about him on N-O and wiki the other day..

http://en.wikipedia....een_(footballer)

Supposed to have been quite the fotballer, destined for great things until a cuntish tackle ended it all....

Any old-timers on here who have actually seen him play? Even CT was a bairn back then but perhaps Leazes, though he flounced...

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Sure I heard that he was the first player to make the nutmeg famous, probably apocryphal, probably got the wrong player... not sure why I bothered with this post...

I'll just go :(

just remember that was Jimmy Smith... I'm an idiot. There's nothing to see here.

Edited by The Fish

One of the best midfield players I have ever seen and certainly, the best player I have seen in Newcastle colours.......by a country mile

Absolutely right - I am convinced that we wouldn't have lost the 74 Cup Final - or at least, made more of a fight of it - had Green not been injured the previous year...his acceleration over the first 5 yards and terrific right foot were amazing. What a player.

Without doubt the greatest player I have ever seen in black and white-thats where my name comes from!

Saw his debut and most games he played thereafter, as well as playing for Scotland at Wembley when he was at Blackpool. Scotland were captained by Bobby Moncur that day.

Had his own chant - "He's here he's there, he's every ferking where Tony Green, Tony Green"

Dyson who went the to Blackpool in the transfer was a canny forward and also ended up as a teacher post football.

Green was superb, but not the best player I've seen in a B&W shirt, for me that would be Gazza followed by Beardsley next.

For me Green was better than Beardsley and Gazza, and I saw all three play. I once saw Green take the ball to the Leazes End corner flag when we were winning 4-0 against Coventry at SJP with only a few minutes remaining. Green was shielding the ball and running the clock down. The full back couldn't get near the ball because of Greens footwork, so three more Coventry players piled in to try and get it off him because he was taking the p*ss. Green suddenly turned with the ball, dropped a shoulder there, swivelled a hip here, accelerated past one, two, three players, then a fourth, and finally the centre half, before crossing the ball hard and low for John Tudor to volley into the net for the fifth goal. The best bit of really close ball control resulting in a goal that I have ever seen personally. The best part was that as the ball went into the net at least half the Coventry team were left floundering on the ground by the corner flag where Green had been holding the ball up. One of those moments in football that you never forget regardless of how unimportant the match was.

One of the best players ever for us, I was at Crystal Palace the day he was injured, no tackle involved, he just turned and then dropped to the ground in agony. No one anywhere near him.

The nearest I have ever seen to Tony Green is (pardon my french) Juninho of Middlesbrough. Both of them had a long striding running style and were skilful and quick.

The shame about Tony Green is that his injury would only put you out for a few months now instead of knacking your career.

This one always brings us old gits out of the woodwork. The only player to compare with him IMO was Gazza. Both had the ability to really dominate a game.

Remember my dad saw Gazza score against Chelsea (beat 4 or 5 men in the space of a few yards to get us into that mickey mouse tournament at Wembley) and said the only other Newcastle player he'd seen capable of that (and better) was Green.

No wonder my old man hates players like Frank Lampard!

I didn't see him play while he was at the club but remember him playing in a testimonial game a few years after he quit. Although out of condition and a little more rotund, Tony was miles better than anyone on the pitch which included some 1st Division players at the time. I remember thinking to myself that he must have been one hell of a player when he was playing for us.

This one from our very own LeazesMag.

Electric.

Brilliant.

Inspirational.

Saved the team from being relegated single handed.

Skills of beardsley, pace of Bellamy.

I've shook his hand twice, and hope to meet him soon. He was just amazing. Not just in one or two flashes of genius, but his complete 90 minute performances, the effect on other players. Awesome.

It always puzzled me why someone like Clough and Taylor didn't sign him for Derby, I can only put it down to the fact that he had almost lost his career to an achilles injury and Joe Harvey got in first just when he had proved his full fitness after 18 months out of the game.

If the BBC ever screen the 1971 England v Scotland game then you must watch it, he man of the match by a mile, won the award for that game and is probably the only thing that will ever be available to buy.

My dad reckons he's the best player he's ever seen for Newcastle and like most others he only saw bits of him and was only a kid at the time. I often think it's a lot to do with his romanticism of football back then, but then you look at comments from similar people of his age and everybody all says the same thing.

I remember talking to my old boss who is about 60 and a fucking proper mental case, ex hooligan etc and he was on about old Newcastle players, his face was that of shock when I started talking to him about Green saying I've heard all about him. He then talked to me for what seemed ages about how good he was, how he was the best ever etc. :)

My old man never went ott about footballers. In fact, he'd be reluctant to heap praise on any footballers; 'Whey, that Ronaldo is alreet, but he's a greedy bastard.' etc etc

However, he always waxed lyrical about Tony Green and swore he was the best player he'd ever seen in an NUFC shirt. So I'll go with him being pretty special.

I saw every home game Tony Green played for us. He was every bit as good as they say and easily one of the best players I've seen in a Newcastle shirt.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Hereford program the other day and thinking how even he couldn't do anything about it. And we had a very good team out that day. Apart from Colo and perhaps Ben Arfa, its debatable if any of the rest of todays players would get into it.

Perchino? I think not.

I saw every home game Tony Green played for us. He was every bit as good as they say and easily one of the best players I've seen in a Newcastle shirt.

Funnily enough, I was looking at the Hereford program the other day and thinking how even he couldn't do anything about it. And we had a very good team out that day. Apart from Colo and perhaps Ben Arfa, its debatable if any of the rest of todays players would get into it.

Perchino? I think not.

I remember forcing myself to sit throught the highlights of the Hereford game when they showed if for the 25th anniversary I think - SuperMac had been giving it his usual Billy BigBollocks in the run-up to it and Green made a hatful of chances for him which on another day would have consigned the game to a meaningless footnote in the record books.

Not sure about the good team though - there may have been an entertainment factor but finishing 15th 3 years in a row is pretty damning in hindsight.