Newcastle and St. Mirren strike partnership deal

Tooj

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-sport/renfrewshire-football/renfrewshire-football-st-mirren/2012/11/22/saints-sign-pact-with-english-premiership-giants-87085-32282014/

St Mirren have struck an ambitious deal with Newcastle United that will see the best of the Premiership club’s young talent heading to Paisley.

Express Sports can reveal that an ‘affiliation’ agreement between the two clubs means they will now share more than just their black and white stripes.

The Geordie giants have agreed to loan St Mirren a number of their most promising students, with the Buddies benefiting from being able to tap into a fresh source of talent.

Magpies boss Alan Pardew, meanwhile, hopes the arrangement will allow him to see his talented – yet inexperienced – pupils tested at SPL level.

The Buddies have already taken advantage of their cosy relationship with the St James’ Park club by snapping up full-back Paul Dummett on a loan deal earlier this season.

And Express Sports understands 21-year-old midfielder Conor Newton could become the next youngster to move north as Saints manager Danny Lennon looks for fresh recruits to boost his struggling first-team squad.

Last night, Lennon told Express Sports: “We are looking at one or two of Newcastle’s young players right now.

“We have an affiliation with the club now and it means we can go down and have look at their squad and see who we like.

“Paul Dummett has already come in and it’s just unfortunate for him that he’s arrived while we are on this poor run of form.

“However, he’s doing well and the chance to get our hands on some other youngsters from one of the best leagues in the world is great for St Mirren.

“It also gives Newcastle’s youngsters the chance to pick up some valuable experience and play first-team football.

“We’ve had a chat with Newcastle about a couple of their players but we will need to go down and monitor them a bit more closely before we make any decision.”

The link-up with Newcastle could not come at a better time for Saints’ under-pressure boss.

St Mirren have lost their last six SPL games and now face a crunch match with bottom dogs Dundee on Saturday, knowing defeat will see the Tayside team overtake them.

Lennon will have to wait until January 1 before he can sign up any of Newcastle’s starlets – but Newton is set to be the first Magpie kid to join on loan.

The right-sided midfielder has already appeared as an unused substitute in Newcastle’s first-team squad.

Newton missed most of last year’s campaign through injury but is so highly regarded by Pardew’s coaching team that he was still offered a new one-year contract in the summer.

So do I, but its not the St lie down cunts

Sounds like you prefer Hearts to Newcastle.....was it St Mirren who Celtic twatted on the last day of the season in 86? :lol:

Lots of purple scarves came out of lots of closets that season.....never to be seen again in most cases.....

Sounds like you prefer Hearts to Newcastle.....was it St Mirren who Celtic twatted on the last day of the season in 86? :lol:

Lots of purple scarves came out of lots of closets that season.....never to be seen again in most cases.....

Not at all, Hearts are my Scottish team but not anywhere near NUFC, odd weekends on the hoy in Edinburgh with a match thrown in was how it started, and yes I remember 86 and the lie down.

I didn't have before though as the Accies are back in the first.

We are a poor lot at the moment Kev.Run by gangsters and with a Manager with a job for life.............sounds familiar in parts.We've lost 70% of the support due to the turgid football,fans being banned for various reasons and being one of the 5 clubs who voted in favour of the bigots.

I was at a race night on Friday and there were more folk there than at most of the games.

St.Mirren are a club who are currently well respected in youth football and have upped their scouting in recent years.That's something we were good at with McCarthy,McArthur etc but the current youth players are nowhere near that quality.

Edited by YeOldeHamiltonian

My scottish team is..............................Naefecker City

Just like my London team is GorblimeycouldntgiveaMonkeys Utd

Scottish, Irish, Southern, Welsh, green, blue, bastard black, makes no difference to me like.

As for this deal, on the face of it, it seems sensible enough but Im a little lost as to what we gain from it? We could send players out on loan to anyone so why tie in with one Scottish club? Why not tie in with Gateshead, Darlo, Spartans etc and have the lads nearby and getting experience.

I think we do have some sort of tie in with Gateshead even if it is informal. A lot of our youngsters have gone on loan there in the last couple of seasons.

And I would assume that the Scottish premier league will be of a higher standard to non league (although I'm not convinced by how much) so it's of more value to us to send players there. Mind you, I would hope a twenty one year old would be able to play to a better standard than that if we expect to ever see them in our first team.

The St Mirren manager has a decent football philosophy, so whoever goes there will be in a team that tries to play. They're on a horrendous run of form at the moment though, so it might not be great for confidence.

The St Mirren manager has a decent football philosophy, so whoever goes there will be in a team that tries to play. They're on a horrendous run of form at the moment though, so it might not be great for confidence.

They're taking this partnership thing a bit too seriously arent they? :lol:

My scottish team is..............................Naefecker City

Just like my London team is GorblimeycouldntgiveaMonkeys Utd

Scottish, Irish, Southern, Welsh, green, blue, bastard black, makes no difference to me like.

As for this deal, on the face of it, it seems sensible enough but Im a little lost as to what we gain from it? We could send players out on loan to anyone so why tie in with one Scottish club? Why not tie in with Gateshead, Darlo, Spartans etc and have the lads nearby and getting experience.

Maybe we get first dibs on their players or something.