Memory

McFaul

Where do you get this like? Holland and Barretts? I need to try something because if I keep going like this I'll be a window licker in 20 years time.

Vertese is the brand and they sell it in Boots (with all the vitamins etc).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it'll definitely be the drink. You can't drink like you're early 20's & work a normal week without feeling some kind of effect.

Half how much you drink, get plenty of fruit & exercise, take the supplements mentioned by Alex & Sammy & you should be fine I reckon. Maybe play some number games like Sudoku or something.

There's no real evidence of benefit of fish oil and the likes on memory improvement btw, but "doing something" might make you feel better.

It's good for you anyway though isn't it? It's the only supplement I take as I eat quite a lot of fresh fruit anyway.

Vertese is the brand and they sell it in Boots (with all the vitamins etc).

What's flaxseed oil cost there Alex?

There is a really good brand here called Herbs Of Gold (no you don't buy it at the back of the pub) and they do 200 x 1000mg capsules for $30 (about 20 quid on current exchange.

What's flaxseed oil cost there Alex?

There is a really good brand here called Herbs Of Gold (no you don't buy it at the back of the pub) and they do 200 x 1000mg capsules for $30 (about 20 quid on current exchange.

It's actually a mix of different seed oils etc. although flaxseed oil is the main ingredient. it's about 5 or 6 quid for 60 500mg capsules. You can probably get it cheaper like, I haven't looked to be honest.

If you have a shit memory won't you forget to take the fish oils?

I reckon it's just an age thing for 2 reasons:

1) As a kid everything is interesting and exciting, so it sticks in your memory more than the general mundane day to day stuff of adult life. Take footy for example, I remember loads of vivid stuff from my childhood, but now not so much... as a kid footy was magical but now it's just another small part of life that I either have time for or don't.

2) As an adult you have to remember all sorts of stuff from day to day things to work related stuff... I reckon the brain can't hold as much info as is required so certain stuff kind of falls out and is lost. As a kid you have fuck all to remember so what you do have is easier to file in the right place and keep it there until needed.

I noticed the longer hours and more work I do the worse my memory becomes, but then if I'm a bit quieter my memory is better... still shit but better than at the busier times.

I'm pretty sure it's just part of growing older tbh and wouldn't worry about it

It's good for you anyway though isn't it? It's the only supplement I take as I eat quite a lot of fresh fruit anyway.

Won't do you any harm. Fish oils are beneficial to the cardiovascular system, but probably only really noticeably so at a population level. Eating whole fish is probably better, not an option for you though obviously. IIRC (and my memory is shit normally but catastrophic after a few beers), there's a section on fish oils and flax seeds in Bad Science by Ben Goldacre.

I meant flax oils anyway like but I assume the Omega 3,6 & 9 have similar benefits?

Hmm, just looked up a guideline I co-wrote a while back and there is only evidence for omega 3. Interestingly, the evidence is fairly equivocal but if anything omega 3 is harmful to cardiovascular health. This was from a fairly big RCT.

Tbh, I'm thinking of becoming much more veggie for various reasons. I'll still at meat occasionally but as a supplement to a veggie diet. It's the most healthy option, capsules are no good.

Don't worry about it Stevie, just bask in the glory of three well earned points on Saturday.. :thumbsup:

My long term memory is my problem. I reckon it's stress, having a pretty demanding job and a minuscule brain.

My memory for work related stuff is ok, but personal and leisure just won't stay in my head.

I was just trying to ascertain if I'm wasting my time / money. Looks like I am!

Yeah, you probably are from an evidence perspective. I can understand wanting to cover all bases being a veggie though.

I still use multivitamins, even though I know they have no benefit. I like the way they make my urine luminous mind.

Yeah, you probably are from an evidence perspective. I can understand wanting to cover all bases being a veggie though.

I still use multivitamins, even though I know they have no benefit. I like the way they make my urine luminous mind.

:lol:

I would say it'll definitely be the drink. You can't drink like you're early 20's & work a normal week without feeling some kind of effect.

Half how much you drink, get plenty of fruit & exercise, take the supplements mentioned by Alex & Sammy & you should be fine I reckon. Maybe play some number games like Sudoku or something.

I only drink 12 pints a week max, many weeks I don't even exceed the recommended weekly drinking limit. I'd end up the size of Stan Flashman if I ever drank like I did in my 20s again.

As far as I know my memory might be better than most it's all relative to you. I'm going to try the stuff suggested.

I would never encourage kids to do e like it really does have an impact. I'd forget to close doors, forget Newcastle were playing all sorts, at my worst usage points.

Obviously. I'd say a meta-analysis of 68680 people showing no effect was good evidence of no effect though. ;)

Not sure what that relates to as mine was just a general comment. 69k people enrolled into trials of something that doesnt work? Really?

I tell you something else, this is true this. I had a row on here, or a constructive debate with Chez about something a few months ago, and I can't even remember what it was about.

:lol:

Another example right, me mates uncle is a steward at the match, does us loads of match related good turns, shared many beers with him, been at loads of non league games with him, he's a good bloke. Me card wasn't working on Saturday, so he had to let me in the other entrance and I went "thanks ermm...aye cheers for this ye knaa, you're a good lad...you are." In the space of 20 seconds could I fuck remember the cunts name, met him so many times. I even text me mate, "heart of gold you're uncle", still unable to remember his name. Then out of the blue I'm eating some food about 9pm, "Davie!! That's the cunts name" 8 hours later.

I'm fucking murder at that, mind, Paul. Especially when someone see you first and you have no time to think.