Articles for the site

McFaul

:lol: Nowt gets past you with the Toon like

:lol: absolutely mint, he's a Geordie savant. Bet he had Wapner style Rainman fits if he was out when Saint & Greavsie was on. "Course am a fuckun lush driver."

rainman+2.jpg

Someone hoy a Newcastle top on Hoffman.

"Uh oh fifteen minutes til Saint & Greavsie"

Edited by Gemmill

Were you a Tottenham fan as a kid like Parky? Gazza never played at Selhurst Park for Newcastle.

Paddock lad was right, it was Charlton at Selhurst Park

Sat 23 Apr Charlton Athletic A League L 0-2 Selhurst Park

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Gary Kelly

Defender John Anderson

Central defender Glenn Roeder

Defender/Midfielder Brian Tinnion

Defender/Midfielder Neil McDonald

Left back/Midfielder Kenny Wharton

Midfielder Michael O'Neill

Midfielder David McCreery

Midfielder/Winger John Cornwell

Forward Paul Goddard

Forward Darren Jackson

Substitutions:

Substitutions:

Paul Gascoigne for Brian Tinnion

Edited by Park Life

Paddock lad was right, it was Charlton at Selhurst Park

Sat 23 Apr Charlton Athletic A League L 0-2 Selhurst Park

Starting lineup:

Goalkeeper Gary Kelly

Defender John Anderson

Central defender Glenn Roeder

Defender/Midfielder Brian Tinnion

Defender/Midfielder Neil McDonald

Left back/Midfielder Kenny Wharton

Midfielder Michael O'Neill

Midfielder David McCreery

Midfielder/Winger John Cornwell

Forward Paul Goddard

Forward Darren Jackson

Substitutions:

Substitutions:

Paul Gascoigne for Brian Tinnion

Fair play Parky, just you said Palace which is where the confusion arose. Palace were never in our league while Gazza was here, we played them in the cup like but that was at home, when he scored his best goal for the toon. You must've been young then eh? Spring 87 4/5/6?

It's not just Ashley and Newcastle that's melting away from what it was, it's football in general

I think this is a fair point like. Football just isn't as exciting as it was years ago. It's tempting to believe that this is just the effect of what's going on at Newcastle making you feel bad about everything else but there's so many other reasons. The ridiculous pay that even the most average players get, the lack of local or even English players in top flight teams, players acting like complete cunts off the pitch, diving, refusing to play or even travel with their teams etc. It all adds up to football not being the magic thing it used to be. The biggest turn off though now is the fact that money is everything. So much so that you need to have a billionaire come in and spend hundreds of millions to have any chance of competing. The age where an underdog can come through and win anything other than the league cup has been lost (possibly for ever). Yes you will still get cup giant killings and a team will do well in the league and get a European place and even attack the top four for a season. But that's as good as it can get. We will not be able to really compete without major investment. Neither will Everton or even Spurs. The competitiveness that our league used to have made us special but now it's gone and that leads to you having to get excited about finishing in the top six!

I'm not arguing against Stevie's point about what Ashley has done here because I completely agree but there certainly is plenty of general football factors that augment it.

Btw I found the bit about McKeag very interesting. My own opinion of the man was completely formed back at that time (when I was just a bairn). I thought he was holding us back by not investing but really had no idea about what kind of money he actually had available. I think it was clear that with a bit of spending we could take off as a club big style and that's what Hall recognised. But of course it's easier said than done if you didn't actually have the money to do it in the first place. My only question would be did he not work against Hall and Magpie group taking over? Surely that was more about his own ego/the money he was making from the club than doing anything that was in our best interests?

I think this is a fair point like. Football just isn't as exciting as it was years ago. It's tempting to believe that this is just the effect of what's going on at Newcastle making you feel bad about everything else but there's so many other reasons. The ridiculous pay that even the most average players get, the lack of local or even English players in top flight teams, players acting like complete cunts off the pitch, diving, refusing to play or even travel with their teams etc. It all adds up to football not being the magic thing it used to be. The biggest turn off though now is the fact that money is everything. So much so that you need to have a billionaire come in and spend hundreds of millions to have any chance of competing. The age where an underdog can come through and win anything other than the league cup has been lost (possibly for ever). Yes you will still get cup giant killings and a team will do well in the league and get a European place and even attack the top four for a season. But that's as good as it can get. We will not be able to really compete without major investment. Neither will Everton or even Spurs. The competitiveness that our league used to have made us special but now it's gone and that leads to you having to get excited about finishing in the top six!

I'm not arguing against Stevie's point about what Ashley has done here because I completely agree but there certainly is plenty of general football factors that augment it.

True as any of that might be I'm looking forward to Stevie giving it two barrells at Ashley specifically. Displacing the corner, reduced away allocations, memberships, one ticket per member, kids in the heavens with nowt to come back at opposition fans.....it's all led to even away support doing the Ameobi and turning round and thinking that is what it's all about. "Mugs"....and nowt to do with Billionaire owners or millionaire players.

Btw I found the bit about McKeag very interesting. My own opinion of the man was completely formed back at that time (when I was just a bairn). I thought he was holding us back by not investing but really had no idea about what kind of money he actually had available. I think it was clear that with a bit of spending we could take off as a club big style and that's what Hall recognised. But of course it's easier said than done if you didn't actually have the money to do it in the first place. My only question would be did he not work against Hall and Magpie group taking over? Surely that was more about his own ego/the money he was making from the club than doing anything that was in our best interests?

Maybe distrust of Hall but almost certainly it was him 'keeping it in the family'. The club was well known as 'the family silver' which was owned for years by the Seymour and McKeag families, Stan Seymour Snr not only played for a successful NUFC, (a formidable centre forward by all accounts), but was the de facto manager around the fifties as a Director when Managers weren't the norm as they now are. (By 1955 we tried the Manager approach, the Manager was dropping Jackie Milburn so Seymour got him back for the biggest game of the whole football season, the cup final, where Jackie did the business and we got the third of our fifties Wembley wins). Stan Jnr had his stint as chairman in more lean times before Gordon McKeag took over the reigns, he getting his club silver from Alderman McKeag.

Interesting the shit the old Directors used to get for being unambitious and seeing genuine World class players leave our club with barely a finger raised by the club to prevent it compared to modern times with our mate, Mike. I remember the week before we pulled the very unlikely 2-1 win at Anfield against the mighty Liverpool we got beat at home to Coventry 0-3 and large numbers stood up in the Milburn/Beardsley stand and gave the directors dogs abuse as the third went in, (pretty sure they were all scored in the 1st half), also around that period we were linked once more with David Speedie, he was hated but he would've been a great signing for us but Coventry got him instead. We used to be outmuscled by fucking Coventry City, man! Pretty sure he scored that day, I'm sure Cyrille Regis did as well. If McKeag had've pulled a quarter of the stunts/Llambias quotes that Ashley has done he would have to be put in a safe house! A Mike Ashley then would've been in serious physical danger IMHO.

Maybe distrust of Hall but almost certainly it was him 'keeping it in the family'. The club was well known as 'the family silver' which was owned for years by the Seymour and McKeag families, Stan Seymour Snr not only played for a successful NUFC, (a formidable centre forward by all accounts), but was the de facto manager around the fifties as a Director when Managers weren't the norm as they now are. (By 1955 we tried the Manager approach, the Manager was dropping Jackie Milburn so Seymour got him back for the biggest game of the whole football season, the cup final, where Jackie did the business and we got the third of our fifties Wembley wins). Stan Jnr had his stint as chairman in more lean times before Gordon McKeag took over the reigns, he getting his club silver from Alderman McKeag.

Interesting the shit the old Directors used to get for being unambitious and seeing genuine World class players leave our club with barely a finger raised by the club to prevent it compared to modern times with our mate, Mike. I remember the week before we pulled the very unlikely 2-1 win at Anfield against the mighty Liverpool we got beat at home to Coventry 0-3 and large numbers stood up in the Milburn/Beardsley stand and gave the directors dogs abuse as the third went in, (pretty sure they were all scored in the 1st half), also around that period we were linked once more with David Speedie, he was hated but he would've been a great signing for us but Coventry got him instead. We used to be outmuscled by fucking Coventry City, man! Pretty sure he scored that day, I'm sure Cyrille Regis did as well. If McKeag had've pulled a quarter of the stunts/Llambias quotes that Ashley has done he would have to be put in a safe house! A Mike Ashley then would've been in serious physical danger IMHO.

Killed in my opinion, actually killed. It's just an opinion and I hope no one kills him unless he's left us in his will, but if this was the late 80's the stunts he has pulled he'd actually have been killed, and fans offering support would've faced physical violence.

I'll write part two a bit later if anyone is interested.

Re "the Beardsley Stand", McKeag wasn't a millionaire even and showed ridiculous lack of ambition in the main but look at the facts. From May 1987-August 1988. We got £4.4m for Beardsley, Neil McDonald and Gascoigne. We paid £575k for Mirandinha, £850k for Beasant, £850k for Andy Thorn, £700k for John Hendrie, and £800k for John Robertson. PLUS the Milburn cost £4m. So in that time frame which I and 99.9% of others vilified McKeag for in transfer fees and stadium/transfers, £4.4m came in and £7.7m went out. As I say McKeag wasn't magnificently wealthy but that's a shortfall of £3.3m in a very short period of time. You couldn't claw it back from gate receipts. It was £4 for an adult then £2 for a child, and surely we were in some sort of debt, although being 9 and 10 at the time I don't honestly know. The issue of McKeag making it difficult for Hall is a completely separate one, but old mature Stevie (I think people who talk about themselves as the third party are wanks by the way) can look at McKeag in a different way and see he had our best interests at heart, and was no where near as bad as this arsehole who owns us now.

True as any of that might be I'm looking forward to Stevie giving it two barrells at Ashley specifically. Displacing the corner, reduced away allocations, memberships, one ticket per member, kids in the heavens with nowt to come back at opposition fans.....it's all led to even away support doing the Ameobi and turning round and thinking that is what it's all about. "Mugs"....and nowt to do with Billionaire owners or millionaire players.

Like I said I can't argue with any of that but I do think the fact we can no longer dream of signing the Maldini's of the world (I remember being in Tenerife in the summer of 96 (I think) and reading stories of us being in for him and genuinely believing it could happen) or winning the champions league the way we did back in the 90's Keegan/Hall era (and even before then to a lesser extent) is down to the economic realities of football today. Ashley possibly has enough cash (although I doubt he has the sort of liquid assets we'd need) to finance this but it's his choice not to spend it and if someone else bought the club, they would most likely not have the cash to do it either.

That said, Ashley is the one who has damaged the special feeling of club, which is what Stevie was getting at, rather than the generally apathy towards modern day football.

It's a philosophy shift that is a struggle to get your head round. The previous owners' solution to the problem was to blindly throw money at managers and players in the hope that this alone would bring success. Ashley has taken an almost polar position; success must only be sought if it's financially sustainable, as long as the bank balance is healthy 8th is no better than 15th.

I think in the long term and with the parties involved, Ashley's model has a better chance of long term success, but it relies on luck almost as much as Shepherd & Halls. Currently we need a small 1st team squad to remain healthy and for the scouting team to unearth talented hungry young players who've so far not attracted serious attention from the massive clubs. F&H needed the expensive players to produce. Their gamble on Shearer paid off, Owen did not. Their gamble on Keegan (as Stevie points out) paid off in spades, their gamble on Dalglish didn't.

Big difference for me is the respective parties' horizon. F&H gauged success within a short time period, Ashley is looking at this investment as a long term interest and guages success over years, not seasons(Or so it seems to me).

• 1 year later...

Nice read that Stevie.

Interesting reading all the kill Mckeag graffiti stuff etc. As a toon fan living on the very borders of Sunderland I never really got much of that. My earliest memories of supporting Newcastle are being thoroughly pissed off as an 8 year old in May 73. A trip to Newcastle was like Dick Wittington heading to London. The passion I had for supporting football was not really shared by anyone else, father or brothers so the politics of it all were not discussed at home.

I remember utter sadness when Beardsley went.

While you used to go with Family, I recall us hanging around outside and waiting for the big sliding gates to be opened about 15 minutes before the end. Thats when the ragamuffins would flood in. :lol:

Out in the sticks we used to sit around a radio waiting for an update. No live commentary, just the Its a goal show.

Theres something about Newcastle that is just so special which outsiders sum up as a soap opera or deluded fans etc etc, but down the years we have been spoilt whether its the like of Beardsley, Gazza or Waddle or Mirindhina. We always had interesting things associated with us. Good or bad but never dull.

The Keegan / Hall revolution of course was a magical ride the like I never thought would be repeated, but the climb since relegation (This season excluded) was a similar fall and rise. I thought we had really arrived when we used to have all those TV ads going out :lol:

Finally when I was working with a local ad agency a few years ago they produced a nice TV ad which I'll go and hunt for now and hopefully stick below.

http://www.hedleymcewan.co.uk/index_039.html

Yup

So what you're basically saying is, you've actually been going to games regularly for that 1 season you had a season ticket a couple of years back, but claiming a 36 year breadth of knowledge to fall back on.

The_Fast_Show_Roger_Nouveau_Football_Fan

So what you're basically saying is, you've actually been going to games regularly for that 1 season you had a season ticket a couple of years back, but claiming a 36 year breadth of knowledge to fall back on.

"Pringle anyone? "