Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

:lol: So you're one of those.

The vast majority are "one of those".

Without democracy you get despotism, autocracy, authoritarianism, totalitarianism. Ultimately you get fascism. My grandparents grew up in a fascist nation and neither had any positive stories to pass down.

1 minute ago, SpaceCadet said:

The vast majority are "one of those".

Without democracy you get despotism, autocracy, authoritarianism, totalitarianism. Ultimately you get fascism. My grandparents grew up in a fascist nation and neither had any positive stories to pass down.

Aye, we’ve had all those things in Western Europe since the EU began rather than beforehand 

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:lol: straight into the EU thread.

@SpaceCadet Its worth making clear tbh that hardly anyone on here voted out. No one will make a big issue of it generally but you're going to be standing alone in here on this. Well you'll have CT but thats actually worse than nothing.

I'm more than comfortable with contrary opinions. We're all individuals and I'm happy to respect that.

Hasn't history shown that lone countries are much more susceptible to fascism than the EU?  It's one of the reasons the EU was created.

What exactly is the path to fascism under the current European system?

Edited by adios

Just now, SpaceCadet said:

I'm more than comfortable with contrary opinions. We're all individuals and I'm happy to respect that.

Unless we're foreign. ;)  

1 minute ago, adios said:

Hasn't history shown that lone countries are much more susceptible to fascism that the EU?  It's one of the reasons the EU was created.

What exactly is the path to fascism under the current European system?

I'd be much happier confronting potential problems on a national level than on a continental or global level.

I'd be much happier confronting potential problems on a national level than on a continental or global level.

Really? British people strike me as particular susceptible to being sleep walked into fascism given our predilection for just accepting the reality of things and not actually taking any action to bring about change from the ground up.

19 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Nah, the United Kingdom is well and fine with me. 

That's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. 

Do you see a problem there? 

Maybe you missed my previous two posts but do you want to have a crack at the ECHR question? I'm intrigued as to how withdrawing from an international agreement that protects our rights and liberties tallies with not wanting to become a facist state. You realise that any facist government could easily revoke any British bill of human rights.

Just now, adios said:

But how is the EU structure prone to a fascist takeover?

The EU is more powerful now than it was ten years ago and will be more powerful than it is now in ten years time unless Brexit proves a catalyst for independence across Europe that is.

The EU is more powerful now than it was ten years ago and will be more powerful than it is now in ten years time unless Brexit proves a catalyst for independence across Europe that is.

Would you accept a reformed EU that elected officials and had greater accountability?

1 minute ago, SpaceCadet said:

How does the EU have more power over the UK now than it did ten years ago? If you're going to make a statement like that then you need to back it up with evidence.

Edited by ewerk

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Maybe you missed my previous two posts but do you want to have a crack at the ECHR question? I'm intrigued as to how withdrawing from an international agreement that protects our rights and liberties tallies with not wanting to become a facist state. You realise that any facist government could easily revoke any British bill of human rights.

A fascist government could and would easily revoke a human rights bill at any level. Which is why government should always be limited and always be decentralised. 

A fascist government could and would easily revoke a human rights bill at any level. Which is why government should always be limited and always be decentralised. 

Separate question - where would you place yourself on the political spectrum?

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How does the EU have more power over the UK now than it did ten years ago? If you're going to make a statement like that then you need to back it up with evidence.

You misunderstood

The EU has more power now in general