Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Alex said:

I was joking. There were plenty social problems. But, at the end of the day it was a short lived youth movement mainly about music and getting wrecked. Like just about every other youth scene. Are you saying wealth inequality was less at the end of the 90s because of Acid House and people being loved up? Because I'm failing to see your point

The country was completely fucked and for the younger generation the future looked pretty fucking grim, hence the backlash and the Punk movement. Acid House was similar in the fact the 80's was fucking grim for the working classes aswell (There's a pattern emerging here is there not?), the introduction of Ecstasy was an escape for the younger generation from the bleak outlook. To be fair the majority of the greatest music ever written was made in adversity or after tragedy.

8 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

To add to the argument, economically the EU has been a transparent failure. 

How can you argue that one? @Renton

I'm not going to argue. I don't accept the premise of your statement. The EU has easily been the most successful international economic partnership in the history of the world, well since the romans anyway. The EU is an economic superpower. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I'm not going to argue. I don't accept the premise of your statement. The EU has easily been the most successful international economic partnership in the history of the world, well since the romans anyway. The EU is an economic superpower. 

Mainly down to the fact it's lead by one of the most corrupt men on the planet.

I was reading a comment at the weekend "There's been no wars though". WELL DONE! That hasn't stopped EU countries getting involved in other people's though has it? There will always be war, humans are complete wankers and there's too much money to be made to live in peace.

11 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

What about the debt crisis? The Euro is a fucking sham.

The Euro is a sham? Why is it heading to parity with the pound?

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

I was reading a comment at the weekend "There's been no wars though". WELL DONE! That hasn't stopped EU countries getting involved in other people's though has it? There will always be war, humans are complete wankers and there's too much money to be made to live in peace.

Well there's been wars between EU states consistently for centuries which have stopped entirely since it's inception, which yes,is a magnificent achievement. I for one am fucking glad about it.

What other people's wars have the EU been involved with, I'm all ears? And this, presumably coming from a UK subject, must surely be the most hypocritical piss take of all time. :lol:

You're really not making much sense here, but continue to vent away. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

So that makes him OK then? It's a fucking disgrace he ever got near the head job, why did he? Oh yes because he's a lap dog to the corporations. Wake up.

Your hero Farage is on Newsnight right now, pure vomit inducing. I'd take Juncker any day over the Brexiteer lunatics.

Out of interest, can you name any region on Earth with better social welfare, healthcare, and overall happiness and contentment than Europe? It's a wonderful continent, the best continent imo. I was proud the UK was part of it, I'm ashamed people like you give the impression you want to destroy it.

While you're thinking of a better international region, perhaps you can name a single EU law or regulation that has disbenefitted you? I've asked this question a few times of Brexiters and not once received a coherent answer. Why is that?

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Completely swerving my previous post you gutless cunt. You assume Farage is my hero, he is far from it. I don't have political heroes, each and everyone is a self serving scumbag.

Touchy and abusive. A bit like my old music teacher, nice.

Farage facilitated what you wanted, I think you owe him big time.

As for swerving your post, really? I've answered everything as far as I can tell, unlike you, who hasn't addressed any of my points. Don't worry, it's the way it works with leavers.

So you're a lexiter then. If ever there was a better definition of a useful idiot, you're it. 

9 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

The country was completely fucked and for the younger generation the future looked pretty fucking grim, hence the backlash and the Punk movement. Acid House was similar in the fact the 80's was fucking grim for the working classes aswell (There's a pattern emerging here is there not?), the introduction of Ecstasy was an escape for the younger generation from the bleak outlook. To be fair the majority of the greatest music ever written was made in adversity or after tragedy.

It was a short lived musical movement. That’s it. More people were into disco which was all about hedonism. Either way you haven’t demonstrated anything which disproves my original point despite your inferred disagreement. You paint a bleak picture but unemployment was lower than now and lower than virtually any time since and it was much worse in the decade after. Young people had free access to higher education plus grants and you could walk into a job that offered apprenticeships and things like that. And there’s not really much of a pattern there either in the link you seem to be trying to make between Punk and Acid House. Despite the punk credentials of a small number of people involved in the UK acid house scene it was a movement borne out of a very specific club scene in America. The records gradually filtered across the Atlantic while the people slowly became aware of the drugs via places like Ibiza. Also, by the time it became popular the country had come out of the worst of the 80s compared to  when it was at its worst in the middle of the decade. Back then loads of young people were wearing dress pants and loafers and dancing to Wham whilst drinking dodgy cocktails. So how does that fit in? 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

The only politician I've ever really respected is Tony Benn, and he had the EU completely nailed from day one. Proper democracy should rule.

And you honestly believe that the UK is a shining beacon of democracy?

Punk rock in the UK  came out of art schools and was inspired by the teddy boys of the 50s, mostly a reaction against Rock becoming  huge bloated and corporate and no longer from "the street" where the Ted's started .  There were never any crowds of 10k+ watching punk in the 70s, but for maybe a 3 year period there were raves every weekend in the summer months attracting that number. That's why the government legislated against it with the Criminal Justice Bill of 93/4 outlawing "gatherings of more than 3 people playing repetitive beats" . To this day there are no laws against playing Sham 69 or Generation X although there some would say there fuckin should be...

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 2

The not in my back yard brigade probably found this a more terrifying prospect, and who can blame them? Imagine if Sir Rupert Hastings-Clark woke up early on a Sunday morning to be confronted with these scenes on his estate. 

• Haha 2

On 7/18/2018 at 07:50, Renton said:

So, on reflection now things are getting very worrying. From what I can make out, the ERG amendments, backed by labour rebels, have killed the NI backstop. This now means no deal is the only plausible outcome with the EU, and we have reneged on the December and March agreements.  Whats worse is no deal means no transition either. Unless something massive happens (and i guess it could considering the insanity of current politics) we crash out by default. 

This is beginning to come into focus again.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think we'll get what is essentially no deal with a bit of disaster management masquerading as a 'deal'.

I still doubt the government will be stupid enough to let us get to the planes dropping out of the sky scenario, but anything up to that, who knows.