Stuff to do with bairns

catmag

took my boy to the natural history museum recently and he loved it. it's free and he spent about four hours happily running around, pointing at dinosaurs and animals. i'm guessing that might be a bit far for a day trip. is the hancock any good these days?

took my boy to the natural history museum recently and he loved it. it's free and he spent about four hours happily running around, pointing at dinosaurs and animals. i'm guessing that might be a bit far for a day trip. is the hancock any good these days?

Yeah went to the Hancock last week actually and it was canny. There's a few bits and pieces for little'uns but the Centre for Life is better I think. I'm planning on bringing the bairn down to London at some point soon - he's 4 in a couple of weeks so would the NHM have stuff for him to do?

It's now the great north museum after a refit and is canny enough. Still got the scary mummies, and a planetarium I have never actually found yet. Entry is free but really you should donate.

I prefer the discovery museum myself though. Also the centre for life is good for exhibitions. Makes sense to buy an annual family pass and go more than three times in that year.

Allays found the London ones almost too big for a single day trip. It's great they're free though. How much longer for I wonder?

The Planetarium was closed when we were there last week. We're going to do the Discovery museum next actually. It's fantastic that it's free and I agree about making a contribution. Because the bairn is still quite little he doesn't appreciate the exhibitions etc at the Centre for Life yet but there's a great bit upstairs for under 6's where there's just a whole little community that they can play in; house, shop, garden, kitchen etc.

Few off the top of my head that I use:

- Hall Hill Farm (Durham) - Goats, pigs, cows, sheep, lama, few rodents, birds, donkey (bairns can ride), rabbits (bairns can hold), chicks (bairns can hold). Has a cafe and a play barn/soft play.

- Beamish Wild - Climbing area, snack stop, birds of prey, owls that can be held by kids, once a day they fly the birds as a show.

- Gibside - Canny to walk around the woods etc and has a decent (quite new) kids outdoor play area and cafe

- Chopwell woods - Canny for exploring

- Seahouses / Holy Island - Good day out all round, also just before you cross to holy island check out "The Barn at Beal" for good food. Small bird of prey place behind it. Also seahouses go on a puffin cruise to see various birds and seals.

- Cragside (nr Rothbury) - another to walk around and explore, a few play areas and decent cafe

Yeah went to the Hancock last week actually and it was canny. There's a few bits and pieces for little'uns but the Centre for Life is better I think. I'm planning on bringing the bairn down to London at some point soon - he's 4 in a couple of weeks so would the NHM have stuff for him to do?

NHM is made for kids. You can't move for them. The dinosaur exhibition is pretty impressive. They've got a life size animated model T Rex. Loads of stuffed animals and skeletons. The human biology bit is cool as loads of it is interactive. Mine was a bit young for that but he loved the dinosaurs and animals.

Few off the top of my head that I use:

- Hall Hill Farm (Durham) - Goats, pigs, cows, sheep, lama, few rodents, birds, donkey (bairns can ride), rabbits (bairns can hold), chicks (bairns can hold). Has a cafe and a play barn/soft play.

- Beamish Wild - Climbing area, snack stop, birds of prey, owls that can be held by kids, once a day they fly the birds as a show.

- Gibside - Canny to walk around the woods etc and has a decent (quite new) kids outdoor play area and cafe

- Chopwell woods - Canny for exploring

- Seahouses / Holy Island - Good day out all round, also just before you cross to holy island check out "The Barn at Beal" for good food. Small bird of prey place behind it. Also seahouses go on a puffin cruise to see various birds and seals.

- Cragside (nr Rothbury) - another to walk around and explore, a few play areas and decent cafe

We are staying in a Ger at Gibside in July. (I refuse to call them Yurts after reading books on the Mongol empire).

I meant girls as in catmag. Its usually a dad thing as women get all weird around crabs, rock pools etc (usually)

Doesn't bother me. I was brought up at Shields beach so marine critters don't scare me.

Had a class time at Seven Stories yesterday - it's the first time I've been. Then Cluny for lunch and a wander round the farm afterwards.