Statues

Howmanheyman

(As I'm suffering from insomnia and bored)

Imagine you get this phone call from the club;

"Awight Geordie?

It's Dewick Lame-arse ere, You've been wandomly selected by Noocarsull United FC to pick free (3) statues to go outside each cornah of St. James' Park, (name courtesy of yer old 'Wonga'), As you know we've alweady got old man Sir Bobby dahn by the Milburn/Gallowgate cornah, we'd like you to nominate free (3) other ex-Noocarsull legends to go in the west of the cornahs of the stadium. So let me know your choices and why you fink we should choose your choices.

Cheers."

So, who do you pick and why? :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Harvey:

Ex-Army sergeant, Joe managed us to the 2nd Division title in the mid sixties before being the last manager to win a trophy in 1969, (and a European one at that), he captained us to two cup victories at Wembley in the fifties and also helped us get promotion in the late forties in front of the biggest crowd in the country as a player. Up to his death in 1989 he remained a Newcastle Utd man and was a scout for the club. Absolutely scandalous that there isn't more made of this man at NUFC.

Kevin Keegan:

When I was just getting the hang of this football lark I remember asking my Dad why we weren't in the first list of results that Grandstand would show at quarter to five on a saturday. I was told it was because we weren't in the top division and we had to wait our turn to be shown as we were in the next one down. As a kid I just thought we mustn't be that important. Then Keegan came along and he might as well had a blinding white light behind him! The England Captain came to us! We then became a club again and the fans flocked back as they believed again. The year after we got promoted of course finishing in 3rd place in front of the third biggest crowd in the UK, (just behind treble winning Liverpool and Man U). He then left in a chopper, (helicoptor, not the bike), and that was it. Great while it lasted. Until he appeared out of the blue to save us from the very real prospect of 3rd division football which would have been the lowest ever position of this old club of ours and could have put us out of business according to John Hall. We were down and out after Derby did us 4-1 at the Baseball when an absolute twat from Grimsby IIRC, called Coddington sent off three of our players and sent Terry Mac to the stands, our support that day was as good as it got in the face of adversity, loud, defiant and proud. Against Pompey at home we just had to win in the 2nd last game of the season as the last game was at Filbert Street where Leicester would probably beat us as it was A; away and B; against a promotion chasing side. In a tight game v Pompey we just couldn't break them down and it wasn't looking good until David Kelly hit a Quinny put down sweet as a fucking nut on the half volley and the relief mixed with the joy made it probably the most mental a goal has celebrated that I can remember. Anyway, we somehow beat Leicester in a game I couldn't get to and KK said this couldn't be allowed to happen again at this club. He made you believe it, he knew what this club of ours was worth, he knew what it could achieve and he did it in style the next year playing a football game which I'd never seen a Newcastle side play before. We got the title, got promoted but Keegan wanted more for this club and discarded Kelly, got Beardsley in and got us 3rd in the PL straight after promotion. We were a joy and the PL were privileged to have us there. regular beastings of teams, 7-1 scorelines three times and morale was at an all time high, you didn't just take life in your stride back then, you nutmegged it as well. If only we had of got that title win. The man gave us the best times I've ever known as a Mag and I love him for it.

Jackie Milburn:

Jackie's statue has been moved a few times and I've genuinely lost track of where it is! As far as I can tell, it's still outside St. James' boulevard where the old Tyne Brewery Keg racker used to be. It's about time it went outside the ground again as Jackie epitomised what our club and area was about, unassuming Milburn was an apprentice fitter at the Ashington colliery before getting a trial at the toon, he was switched from a winger in one of his early trial games to a centre forward, got six goals and never looked back. Jackie was our all time top scorer until Shearer, played in all three of our cup winning finals of the fifties scoring in two of those games and like Harvey, always remained attached to our club ready to give advice if asked and apparently mentored SuperMac when he first signed taking him outside the shipyards and showing Mac who he was playing for. A top man and gentleman by all accounts.

I'd name a stand after Harvey.

Although Keegan needs something as without him you dread to think where we would be as a club right now.

Surely there's players and or managers from way back in the past that won titles and cups that could be argued are at least as important as Keegan? None of our fans would be old enough to have seen them most likely and I do agree that Tooj's point about where would we be now had it not been for Keegan is valid, but we won the league 3 time in first decade of the last century. Surely some of those players or managers should have more legendary status than they clearly do!

Surely there's players and or managers from way back in the past that won titles and cups that could be argued are at least as important as Keegan? None of our fans would be old enough to have seen them most likely and I do agree that Tooj's point about where would we be now had it not been for Keegan is valid, but we won the league 3 time in first decade of the last century. Surely some of those players or managers should have more legendary status than they clearly do!

The last time we won the league we were managed by a selection committee. Which is kind of depressing.

The fact that we're nearly a hundred years on without another title is certainly depressing. Chances are it will become less and less likely that we'll ever win it again the way football is going.

Someone like Hughie Gallagher surely should be as recognised as anyone else from our History though?

I take it you mean his assault on his son and subsequent suicide. From what I've read I don't think its something so bad that it should be an issue.

Just the words "child abuse" make it difficult though. Whatever we know now about how overblown it was. His was a sad story in the end, not the glorious one we like to reward with a statue.

Good read here though....

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/a-hero-who-died-of-shame-1124187.html

Just the words "child abuse" make it difficult though. Whatever we know now about how overblown it was. His was a sad story in the end, not the glorious one we like to reward with a statue.

Good read here though....

http://www.independe...me-1124187.html

Canny that, I'd read a lot of the same stuff. Let's himself down by saying we've only won the league once though!

I'm looking forward to settling down with my grandson to watch the second half of our title winning game from seats in the Sir Adam Campbell stand.

Joe Harvey is the only one (to repeat myself) won stuff as a manager and player/captain