Horse Puncher "I'm sorry to the horse"

McFaul

I was acting in self-defence, says drunken fan on disabled benefits who threw punch at a police horse

Unemployed Barry Rogerson drank five pints of beer before he became involved in clashes with police

The Newcastle United fan says he panicked when the horse 'charged' towards him

Rogerson claims his reaction may have been down to the 15 tablets a day he takes for his illness

The 45-year-old, who calls himself an animal lover, has not worked in eight years

By ELEANOR HARDING

PUBLISHED: 23:03, 16 April 2013 | UPDATED: 00:19, 17 April 2013

'I'm an animal lover': Barry Rogerson with his dog who says he panicked when the 'charged' towards him

The man filmed punching a police horse during a football riot claimed yesterday he was acting in self-defence.

Barry Rogerson, 45, who calls himself an animal lover, says he panicked as the horse ‘charged’ towards him.

He says the medication he takes and the fact he had been drinking heavily may have prompted his actions.

With a football scarf over his face, Rogerson was caught on camera throwing a punch at the horse, called Bud, before being tackled by officers and wrestled to the ground during violence after Newcastle United’s match against Sunderland on Sunday.

Despite claiming he is too sick to hold down a job, Rogerson, who is on disability benefits, went to the match – which his team Newcastle lost 3-0 – and drank five pints of beer before becoming involved in clashes with police.

He confessed yesterday that he was the fan who attacked the horse after a picture of him throwing the punch was plastered over the national media.

Speaking from his home in Morpeth, Northumberland, Rogerson said he wanted to apologise to the public – and to Bud – for his rampage.

‘I’m an animal lover. I’ve got three dogs, a fishpond out the back and I feed foxes across the road,’ he said as he posed for pictures with one of his pets, a 15-year-old alsatian cross called Candy.

Rogerson, who was arrested and has been bailed until next month, claims that he threw the punch in ‘panic’ and is now afraid to go out after animal rights activists put comments about him on social media.

More...

Ten years for 'wicked' hotel porter who raped a celebrity guest after sneaking into her bedroom while she slept

'You're a normal person', judge tells Sarah Harding as she bans her for driving while on the phone (despite Mr Loophole claiming she was too famous to use public transport)

The former factory worker has not worked for eight years and claims £5,460 a year in disability living allowance and incapacity benefit. He says he suffers from sarcoidosis, an inflammation of the lungs.

‘I can’t even walk up the stairs. Doing anything physical is hard,’ he said – but he was not able to explain why that did not stop him attending the game and getting involved in the violence.

Caught: Barry Rogerson was captured on camera punching Bud the horse in the face

Rogerson claimed he was ‘not aware’ of the riots outside the ground in which three police officers were injured and 29 fans arrested.

He said he had his scarf covering his face to keep the cold off a broken filling in a tooth.

He said: ‘We just came out of the Terrace Bar in St James’ Park, we turned right and I was right in the middle of it.

‘This one particular horse was spooked by a firecracker and charged at me. That’s when I panicked and threw a punch at the horse.

Recovered: Bud the police horse with groom Abigail Collins back at home in the Carr Gate police stables in Yorkshire after he was punched in the face

‘I tried to get him away from me with my left hand and then punched him with my right. It was sheer panic.

‘It was an instant reaction. I did not actually go out to attack a horse. I’d like to apologise to the horse, to the mounted section and to the people of the North East.’

Rogerson claimed his reaction may have been down to the 15 tablets a day he takes for his illness.

He lives in a £120,000 semi with his Portuguese wife Teresa, 47, and attended Sunday’s game with nine friends.

His wife, a school supervisor, said: ‘It’s not in his character to do anything like that.

‘I let him out by himself once and look what happens. People on the internet who are writing things about him don’t know him. He wouldn’t hurt a fly.’

Rogerson says he is now living in fear after discovering he had been identified on Facebook and says up to 700 animal rights activists on Twitter are asking for his address.

One Twitter user wrote yesterday: ‘Still can’t get over the fact that some Newcastle scumbag punched a police horse.’ Another raged: ‘Newcastle fan punches horse ******* nasty person!’

This bloke, it's a sad fact of life, that when he dies most of the people are going to say at his funeral, "aye mind when he twatted that horse." It'll be the main thing he's remembered for. Mackems are calling us Neighcastle, I quite like it :lol:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely bit of propaganda for the Tories there, everything's coming up roses for them at the minute.

Obviously this bloke is an idiot and a prick, but

-I doubt I'd have flinched from his lame punch let alone an 8ft stallion

-if you uses horses to combat rioters it's inevitable that they'll get hurt. Millions of horses have died in war. Animal protestors should direct their ire towards the police if this incident really offends them

-it's only a fucking horse

Lovely bit of propaganda for the Tories there, everything's coming up roses for them at the minute.

-if you uses horses to combat rioters it's inevitable that they'll get hurt. Millions of horses have died in war. Animal protestors should direct their ire towards the police if this incident really offends them

Think describing it as a riot is harsh, but thats the press for you. Dont think horses are generally deployed when there are petrol bombs being rained down on the police. The silly fuckers were mobbing up when we left the ground and I dont think many had been at the game as far as I could see.... the vast majority were coming up from the Eldon Square direction or Stowell Street.

I've never cringed as much as when I was sat on a train back from Birmingham Away, listening to a 40 year old bloke (with his son of about 8) regaling a bunch of late teen lads with tales of all the bother he'd caused back in the day.

The worst thing about it for me was that they were in MY first class carriage without the appropriate tickets. :lol:

Surely defending this wanker makes you look as bad as him.

How could the policeman know the tosser didn't have a broken bottle or a knife, of course he'd reel back and so would you.

I hadn't actually read the story properly, but what a story it is. My favourite bit is where he says he'd wrapped the scarf around his face to protect the cold air from affecting a sensitive tooth. :lol:

Most of us, especially me are supremely biased about NUFC, but I have to say this honestly, there can't be a club in world football produced more comedy moments over the last 20 years than us. There's ALWAYS fucking something. If it's not the geordie dancer, it's our board of directors calling us ugly cunts, and if it's not people spelling boycott with a U, it's 45 year olds from Northumberland setting about horses then blaming it on the horse saying it was in self defence. Incredible club. Just incredible.