Has football ever been so morally bankrupt as it currently is?

Kevin Carr's Gloves

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too fucking late, offence taken.

So which fans fucked off in the mid 70's when I started going aged 11?

Some shit gets posted through rose tinted glasses IMO.

Football just mirrors society but to dress it up as been so much better and less sterile in the 70' and 80's is a load of tosh.

I spent many a midweek match in my 20's (as I worked every Saturday), stood in pathetically small crowds watching shit football. And that was it for a week bar Jimmy Hill for half an hour.

If it wasn't for the premier league and Sky we wouldn't have had Keegan the manager, Shearer or the entertainers. We wouldn't have had Tinis hat trick against Barcelona or probably Sir Bobby at the club.

The money that has come in over the last 20 years has done a lot of good for us whether that's the stadium or the managers and players who have graced St James.

That same money has led to the game being on virtually every day of the week and people being able to watch football from all over the world. How many off today's kids "who only know Sky's view of football" would like to go back to the "golden days" that you talk about?

So in conclusion, utter uber Geordie bollocks my friend.

I may not have grown up in a Newcastle dwelling family who had parents and brothers and uncles queuing up to take them to the game, but I've made sure since the 70's that I've got to as many games as I could afford to it that circumstances allowed.

So stick that up yer arse ;)

(Even more of a twat making have to reply on a phone as my lap tops fucked).

Chill, man, you know you're still my favourite placca Geordie. ;)

My old man is a Geordie but rarely went to games in his youth and as soon as he left school joined the army and travelled the World, it took some persuading for him to take me to the games when I was a kid due to his perceived ideas of trouble at the games. I'm kinda sorry I picked you out but you were the first person who came to mind that anyone off here would know, I can think of many a fan, myself included, whose money and attendance were fine pre-promotion but who get shoved aside for people who got to enjoy Tini's hat-trick whilst I watched it on the telly who might also have been busy working on saturdays when we were shit. I shared a season ticket with one of these fans the year we just missed out on the title because even then he still couldn't be arsed to go to every game, there was fucking loads man, just as there are fucking loads I see in the club on a match day who are ex-matchday goers, it's just in their time we were shit. You mention Bobby Robson, 'Tini' entertainers etc, why not David Kelly, Davey Mac etc? The most iconic goal I've ever witnessed was Kelly's against Portsmouth and that to me is a memory I'll take to the grave where the support present was 1000 times what it is now, knew what it meant, experienced the shit, knew the potential outcome if he hadn't scored, weren't shopping at the metrocentre that day.

When were we relegated in 1989 Norwich and Millwall were right at the top of the table for long periods of the season, think that'll happen again? Think a team will get promoted and finish 3rd in their first season like us? No? Why? Because Sky have made a product and helped promote super brands which attracted outside investment which is great for the chosen few but has killed the game for everyone else, so aye, fuck sky and fuck their monday night games and their ex-sky4 pundits and their constant exposure they give to the likes of 'United' to help that club attract even more supporters for even more outside companies to sell things to through advertising via MUFC.

Well I understand all the points made above. However as far as us long distance supporters are concerned, Im not complaining. I remember the time I got 3-4 games only in a whole season here, and even getting a hold of the highlights was a problem. Mind since those teams I've often wished there wasnt TV to cover some of the shite teams and season's we've had :closedeyes:

You do it all the time man. You were arguing with Parky last week, you were telling someone else you couldn't discuss stuff on here and lately all you do is belittle other posters who have different views to you.

Just because you are a self proclaimed football connoisseur, shouldn't mean that more average normal fans can't express there opinions too.

When people tell you Santon or Debuchy are playing crap you accuse them of "not seeing it".

Sometimes it's ok just to call a match or a performance the way it is.

I have many different views to Tom and have met him, one of the nicest people I've met.

Also that last sentence makes no sense.

I have many different views to Tom and have met him, one of the nicest people I've met.

Also that last sentence makes no sense.

I will give you an example then.

There's thousands of fans who simply turn up at St James, watch Debuchy get caught out of position time and time again, go to the pub afterwards and say "he's crap so far".

They won't know too much about his pre Newcastle days or care too much that he plays for France etc etc.

They will just watch a shit performance and call it as it is.

Same with Ben Arfa. When he has a rare top of his game performance he is a joy to watch. Those however are rare and it's quite understandable that lots of fans find a lot of his performances frustrating.

Some fans me included are quite happy to call a performance as it is. Others, particularly fans who watch a lot of football, feel more inclined to be over protective and dislike any sort of criticism.

All sorts follow Newcastle.

I will give you an example then.

There's thousands of fans who simply turn up at St James, watch Debuchy get caught out of position time and time again, go to the pub afterwards and say "he's crap so far".

They won't know too much about his pre Newcastle days or care too much that he plays for France etc etc.

They will just watch a shit performance and call it as it is.

Same with Ben Arfa. When he has a rare top of his game performance he is a joy to watch. Those however are rare and it's quite understandable that lots of fans find a lot of his performances frustrating.

Some fans me included are quite happy to call a performance as it is. Others, particularly fans who watch a lot of football, feel more inclined to be over protective and dislike any sort of criticism.

All sorts follow Newcastle.

But you're one of the least likely to call it as it is with your ridiculous obsessions with certain players.

Exactly Renton - but that doesn't stop him riding the high horse all the way through Oz.

I've said Debuchy has been poor thus far - I've seen him have good games too - but I generally know a good player when I see one.

Again though - CT was asking for time for Nolan to settle in. It took Coloccini a year - Debuchy isn't far off being in a similar class. He might never settle in - some players don't - like, I dunno, Jon Dahl Tommasson.

And he was a fucking fantastic player...

But you're one of the least likely to call it as it is with your ridiculous obsessions with certain players.

My only obsession has been with sorting out the left side, replacing Jonas and giving us a real threat down both sides.

I think most sensible people will agree that Remy perfectly demonstrated what we have been missing and what I have been yearning for.

I thought you said we needed more quality crosses coming in from the left?

I think you'll find I constantly say we need crosses, balls from the bye line, runs into the box from both sides.

The one thing I don't want is Jonas protecting the left back. Funny how that crowd has fell silent. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Newcastle United playing in a blue away kit against a team playing in red? The team in blue should be playing in black & white, the team in red should be playing in blue. The team in red who should be playing in blue have now got the owners son's mate sorting the transfers out, (allegedly), the team in blue who should've been in black & white have only relatively recently got their traditional name of the stadium back amongst other gaffes made by their owner. Modern football eh? :lol:

my apathy around the englnd football team is at an all time high. didn't even remember the match was on tonight until just now. think i'll watch have i got news for you instead. sure to be more entertaining.

my apathy around the englnd football team is at an all time high. didn't even remember the match was on tonight until just now. think i'll watch have i got news for you instead. sure to be more entertaining.

I had this view as well, but wouldn't you know it, they actually put in a shift for once. Figures really.