US election 2016

Happy Face

More gibberish from the ex marketing manager and advertising executive. Trump will be far more neoliberal than Clinton and the market agrees.

As predicted I got a lot wealthier over the last 8 hours. Yeah Clinton was going to be just another neoliberal. Bollocks.

:lol: I think you're rather missing the point here. Trump isn't the answer, he's a symptom.

We don't have an answer.

Also, is Naomi Klein the ex-marketing manager, or am I?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hopefully that's this thread just about dusted. I think the next election due is the Albanian general election in may next year. Can't wait to read everyone's thoughts on that one.

I've already put money on Le Pen to win in France if anyone fancies a natter about that. :good:

I've already put money on Le Pen to win in France if anyone fancies a natter about that. :good:

Yep, looking likely. Unless this serves as a warning to the centre left in France. I'm sure they must be taking this seriously now, Brexit and Trump should be all the signal any other liberal Western democracy needs.

:lol: I think you're rather missing the point here. Trump isn't the answer, he's a symptom.

We don't have an answer.

Also, is Naomi Klein the ex-marketing manager, or am I?

Sure he's a symptom but the fact that he is far more pro business than Clinton is being borne out right now on Wall St. According to Klein etc this isn't about stupid voters it's about a rejection of neoliberalism. The fact that voters put in place a more neoliberal President means her argument is false as people were too stupid to realize that.

Sure he's a symptom but the fact that he is far more pro business than Clinton is being borne out right now on Wall St. According to Klein etc this isn't about stupid voters it's about a rejection of neoliberalism. The fact that voters put in place a more neoliberal President means her argument is false as people were too stupid to realize that.

I don't think the vast majority of voters know what Neoliberalism is. Monbiot explains what we've just seen as follows. I happen to agree with this in the absence of a superior explanation:

Perhaps the most dangerous impact of neoliberalism is not the economic crises it has caused, but the political crisis. As the domain of the state is reduced, our ability to change the course of our lives through voting also contracts. Instead, neoliberal theory asserts, people can exercise choice through spending. But some have more to spend than others: in the great consumer or shareholder democracy, votes are not equally distributed. The result is a disempowerment of the poor and middle. As parties of the right and former left adopt similar neoliberal policies, disempowerment turns to disenfranchisement. Large numbers of people have been shed from politics.

Chris Hedges remarks that “fascist movements build their base not from the politically active but the politically inactive, the ‘losers’ who feel, often correctly, they have no voice or role to play in the political establishment”. When political debate no longer speaks to us, people become responsive instead to slogans, symbols and sensation. To the admirers of Trump, for example, facts and arguments appear irrelevant.

Much like people thinking Farage and Johnson are "men of the people" .

I don't think the vast majority of voters know what Neoliberalism is. Monbiot explains what we've just seen as follows. I happen to agree with this in the absence of a superior explanation:

Perhaps the most dangerous impact of neoliberalism is not the economic crises it has caused, but the political crisis. As the domain of the state is reduced, our ability to change the course of our lives through voting also contracts. Instead, neoliberal theory asserts, people can exercise choice through spending. But some have more to spend than others: in the great consumer or shareholder democracy, votes are not equally distributed. The result is a disempowerment of the poor and middle. As parties of the right and former left adopt similar neoliberal policies, disempowerment turns to disenfranchisement. Large numbers of people have been shed from politics.

Chris Hedges remarks that “fascist movements build their base not from the politically active but the politically inactive, the ‘losers’ who feel, often correctly, they have no voice or role to play in the political establishment”. When political debate no longer speaks to us, people become responsive instead to slogans, symbols and sensation. To the admirers of Trump, for example, facts and arguments appear irrelevant.

Where's that from? I'd love to read more. Thank you

Edited by dbsweeney

i've been covering the web summit in lisbon today so didn't have much time to follow the aftermath on social media or on here, but i've still been absorbed by it as all our stories had to be dropped or repurposed. owen jones was almost inconsolable on stage.  it was one of those days i wish i'd been in the newsroom for once tbh - always the best place to be when a momentous news story unfolds.

and then i witnessed this

[tweet]

[/tweet] Edited by Dr Gloom