Politics

Christmas Tree

It's a negotiating position. There might be tweaks (emergency break etc) or moratorium for 5 years reg Eastern Europe but FOM will remain. May has been maneuvered in to deliver this. The economies and high end Labour ie Banks etc are too intertwined to go to full scale war.

They are looking at rights to benefits and right to work (job offers) as soft options. Something that can be spun to the unwashed.

Edited by Park Life

I just mean its worded to allow for shades of interpretation during negotiation. I assume we will trade off some of our access to the single market in exchange for a discontinuation of the current freedom of movement. You can phrase it the other way round too.

It's a negotiating position. There might be tweaks (emergency break etc) or moratorium for 5 years reg Eastern Europe but FOM will remain. May has been maneuvered in to deliver this.

Did you just raise me? ;)

It's a negotiating position. There might be tweaks (emergency break etc) or moratorium for 5 years reg Eastern Europe but FOM will remain. May has been maneuvered in to deliver this. The economies and high end Labour ie Banks etc are too intertwined to go to full scale war.

How can you (any of you) be so confident about this? Given everything that has transpired in the past couple of weeks, what makes any of you think the Tories have a plan? What makes you so certain that, even if they do, they can deliver any of this?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope you're all right. Very much so. But I just don't see it.

How can you (any of you) be so confident about this? Given everything that has transpired in the past couple of weeks, what makes any of you think the Tories have a plan? What makes you so certain that, even if they do, they can deliver any of this?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I hope you're all right. Very much so. But I just don't see it.

Tory party don't run the UK. ;)

If you look carefully you can see the 'cold dead hands' of the Cabal. :unsure2:

Edited by Park Life

Like we said all along. Germans don't want Tarrifs, neither do the French.

A deal will be done and I think a lot quicker than 2 years.

Its not a plan, its just that both freedom of movement and access to the single market are both variables with greater or lesser degrees which can be traded off against each other. In the EU we are at the maximum exposure / access to both. Out of the EU with a totally isolated country, we are at the opposite end of the scale.

We will end up somewhere in the middle politically which may in practice be very near to where we are practically right now but with enough prima facie legitimacy for the leavers to be able to claim victory. How hollow that is will be, i think, dependent on the strength of negotiating.

Merkel had a long interview on ZDF last night where she was grilled a bit by what purports to be 'the voice of the people' (giddy and ravaged by Brexit). Her tone was conciliatory and workmanlike. You can see she was already setting out a position for positive talks. Merkel and others have attacked Juncker in the last week (Greens and soft left coalition in the EuParliament)...He's going to be replaced. From what I can see the French are going to cause the problems worried as they are about the Front National.

Edited by Park Life

Fair enough, I hope you're all correct about this though.

Which bits of freedom of movement would we cut out exactly do you think? Surely not blocking specific countries...

Fair enough, I hope you're all correct about this though.

Which bits of freedom of movement would we cut out exactly do you think? Surely not blocking specific countries...

Obviously they're not as clever as me but stopping issuing NI numbers to the A8 countries would have a massive effect on their desire to come to the UK. There is a difference in the FOM regulations between the right to work and the right to move. Legal dispositions would be made by our side reg pressure on the UK infrastructure etc....Restrictions have been applied in the past and not just by the UK.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/migration-flows-a8-and-other-eu-migrants-and-uk

Edited by Park Life

Labour now calling for a general election on the same day they confirm that they are holding a leadership contest. Talk about incompetence.

Let's be honest, this whole thing has shown up the political classes to be total lightweights.

Obviously they're not as clever as me but stopping issuing NI numbers to the A8 countries would have a massive effect on their desire to come to the UK. There is a difference in the FOM regulations between the right to work and the right to move. Legal dispositions would be made by our side reg pressure on the UK infrastructure etc....Restrictions have been applied in the past and not just by the UK.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/migration-flows-a8-and-other-eu-migrants-and-uk

This sort of thing is what has been preoccupying me tbh. We may get an end to the type of freedom of movement we've seen in the last decade. But will that properly stop people from actually coming, or indeed desiring to come? Will it stop recruiters setting up offices in Kraków or somewhere and recruiting a purely Polish workforce for some shitty SD type warehouse operation? Is employment law in the UK on this some sort of legislative grey area between uk law passed by parliament and EU instructions? Are we looking at (more?)people smugglers in Calais and Zeebrugge? ....

So we have an unelected prime minister who wants to stay in the EU running the country in its attempt to leave the EU?

Don't think it's unreasonable to expect another general election, regardless of the state of the Labour Party

If it does happen expect a centrist party forming hastily, pulling in Lib Dems, and the more centrist Labour/Tory members, another big row over who leads that party, them having enough sense to actually win the election with a landslide before the party falls apart with internal bickering