Politics

Christmas Tree

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

What about the pensioners who voted to Leave?

Also, haven't the demographics for this been broken down already?

They have 60% of 65+ year olds voted leave. 57% of 55-64s did

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yes, it's all out there. It was OAPs and their triple locked Tory pensions what won it, innit. 

58 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

yes, 100% of cunts voted to leave.

Without wanting to deny any of the national responsibility for the cause but is 80 years since more or less showed fleeing Jews the cold shoulder ..,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Évian_Conference

we came a long way since then internationally since then but I fear the last couple of years and the handling of immigration and refugee crisises morally threw us back to the 1930s tbh

How much of those claiming asylum from Africa are at genuine risk of persecution? And how long does it take to process their claims? 

It’s an area in which I’m fairly ignorant but I do believe it should be an EU wide problem rather than Italy’s alone.

Internationally, I think Germany’s moral standing increased massively because of their handling of the Syrian refugee crisis.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How much of those claiming asylum from Africa are at genuine risk of persecution? And how long does it take to process their claims? 

It’s an area in which I’m fairly ignorant but I do believe it should be an EU wide problem rather than Italy’s alone.

Internationally, I think Germany’s moral standing increased massively because of their handling of the Syrian refugee crisis.

Not with their own people.

47 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Not with their own people.

We do have our own bunch of xenophobic taxi drivers unfortunately.

as much as the system does get exploited by a lot of migrants  every person fleeing for legit reasons is worth the moral high ground.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

We do have our own bunch of xenophobic taxi drivers unfortunately.

as much as the system does get exploited by a lot of migrants  every person fleeing for legit reasons is worth the moral high ground.

I’m just going off recent elections. Must have a lot of taxi drivers over there.

28 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m just going off recent elections. Must have a lot of taxi drivers over there.

Taxi drivers racist twats, whatever you want to call them.

recent elections actually proved that decent people are still forming the majority. But recent polls did indeed show a majority being unhappy with current politics regarding immigrants. The amount of people it knowing what they are talking about - or voting for- is a shocking as in other countries shifting to the far right

53 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Taxi drivers racist twats, whatever you want to call them.

recent elections actually proved that decent people are still forming the majority. But recent polls did indeed show a majority being unhappy with current politics regarding immigrants. The amount of people it knowing what they are talking about - or voting for- is a shocking as in other countries shifting to the far right

People not wanting unlimited immigration does not make them racist.  Labelling them all as far right is just plain stupid.

28 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

People not wanting unlimited immigration does not make them racist.  Labelling them all as far right is just plain stupid.

This is a fair point and something we liberals seem to have lost our way on.  We're not doing enough to stand up to the increasing intolerance on our side.

The problem with the majority of the right (and probably the left tbf) will be that they are emotionally blind to the nuances of the debate.

2 minutes ago, adios said:

This is a fair point and something we liberals seem to have lost our way on.  We're not doing enough to stand up to the increasing intolerance on our side.

The problem with the majority of the right (and probably the left tbf) will be that they are emotionally blind to the nuances of the debate.

Of course they are, there’s no difference in EU and non-EU immigrants. Economic migrants and asylum seekers.

We just need to control our borders. Even though we already do much more than nearly anyone else in the EU and rely on immigration to keep our economy growing.

So anyone who voted Leave on immigration grounds is a dyed-in-the-wool racist and not merely misinformed, angry or ignorant?

2 minutes ago, adios said:

So anyone who voted Leave on immigration grounds is a dyed-in-the-wool racist and not merely misinformed, angry or ignorant?

Tbf CT doesn't come across as angry.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I did say "shifting to the far right". There is an increasing number of people not distinguishing between the different variantions of immigration and its causes. It is rather becoming "four legs good, two legs bad" for a lot.

So it is not all of them, but a worrying number.

5 minutes ago, adios said:

Aren’t all racists misinformed, angry and ignorant?

Just now, ewerk said:

Aren’t all racists misinformed, angry and ignorant?

But are all misinformed, angry or ignorant people racists?