Politics

Christmas Tree

Just now, Renton said:

Ahh, you mean a cliff edge Brexit? Too late. 

I mean like the price of everyone's Christmas dinner going through the roof. The public are too stupid for anything else.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I mean like the price of everyone's Christmas dinner going through the roof. The public are too stupid for anything else.

That won't happen until after Brexit.

Tbh  although I'm worried, I'm still relatively sanguine. NI will stop hard Brexit. 

Just now, Christmas Tree said:

Whenever you feel yourself setting high expectations for politicians, it’s time to re-watch The Thick of It.

Btw, apparently Malcolm Tucker was based largely on Harvey Weinstein.

alistair campbell innit? 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

alistair campbell innit? 

Thats what I thought but not so according to Capaldi.

”Harvey Weinstein and the team at Miramax were long celebrated for Malcolm-like behaviour, so in fact they were the people I thought about. That was the model I took, rather than Alastair Campbell, as I didn’t know him.

Edited by Christmas Tree

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Yes but people don't generally pay attention to what Corbyn has to say. His post-Budget reaction was his chance to be heard.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/23/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-tories-labour-eu

Guardian seem to think he hammered her in PMQs... that the press largely ignore this is kind of my original point.

Well, I guess so - but he does at least seem to be trying to tackle the government's handling of the whole thing now. The thing is, I don't believe he's a quick thinker, so a rapid response is perhaps not likely.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I feel the same way about May every time she attempts to be funny tbh. Makes me die inside.

I think it has the same effect on her

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I struggle to watch him tbh. Far too shouty 

i think the points he make about how the numbers of homeless - in particular homeless children - deserves to be shouted about. 

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Also just noted this: Earnings estimated at below 2008 levels by 2022:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/23/uk-no-earnings-growth-budget-brexit-productivity-ifs

This. Is. A. Shambles.

That report headlined the BBC news website, stuff like this surely has to make people think.

The near catastrophic predictions by the OBR yesterday didn't even fully factor in Brexit. It's actually getting quite scary now how the country is falling apart. We've been on a downward trajectory from the day the Tories got in. Slightly tempered by the coalition but now in full on self destruct mode.

Just now, Renton said:

That report headlined the BBC news website, stuff like this surely has to make people think.

The near catastrophic predictions by the OBR yesterday didn't even fully factor in Brexit. It's actually getting quite scary now how the country is falling apart. We've been on a downward trajectory from the day the Tories got in. Slightly tempered by the coalition but now in full on self destruct mode.

This bit doesn't get brought up enough IMO. The disaster we're now seeing is fully of their making now. Whatever they can blame on previous administrations, they've had well over long enough to demonstrate that their ideas work, and are simply failing. The only area they appear to have done well in is job creation, but we all know that this is a sham created by zero hours contracts and the gig economy anyway.

No competence in their party whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think the points he make about how the numbers of homeless - in particular homeless children - deserves to be shouted about. 

Subject matter is important but his delivery is a turn off and reduces his audience. He can come across very well when he’s interviewed but struggles terribly in the commons. 

Personally think he’d harm the government more if he slowed down his delivery and volume.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think it's enough to make enough people think. There's a rump of morons / cunts / both who'll remain utterly unmoved and insist they're right and it's all lies etc.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Subject matter is important but his delivery is a turn off and reduces his audience. He can come across very well when he’s interviewed but struggles terribly in the commons. 

Personally think he’d harm the government more if he slowed down his delivery and volume.

Do you think he'd harm the government as much as every time May opens her mouth though?

From Rayvin's link

"Earlier this month, the IFS said welfare cuts already in the pipeline affecting households with young families would mean the number of children living in poverty soaring by 1 million to a record 5.2 million over the next five years"

What type of Uber cunt would you have to be to support a government that allows policies to result in this?

Oh.... 

• Like 1