Florida suggestions please

catmag

The 2 Universal Parks (comfortably the 2 best imo), Epcot, Seaworld and Magic Kingdom (if only because they're still young enough to be caught up in it all and still enjoy some of the dated rides) are the best of the parks for that sort of age imo and are a must.

Depending on how long you're going for MGM studios is canny too but a slight rung below. Animal Kingdom is nothing special, I'd avoid. Gatorland is good but probably more of a half day thing, maybe when you want a lazy morning.

Space Centre is quite interesting but other than going on an actual space shuttle there's nothing much that you can't see at Science museums over here, so I think in a place with so many unique places to go you might be better off using your day elsewhere. Plus if they've been spoiled by the excitement a few of the parks by the time you go then you might end up with a stroppy child after a few hours of walking around looking at stuff, even if they are into space things.

Busch Gardens is the best for big rollercoasters but 5/6 is probably a bit young/short for that, and it isn't as interesting theme wise as the disney or universal parks so might be better to give that a miss this time.

Have to concur with CT that Typhoon Lagoon is a highlight, huuuge wave machine, easily the best waterpark. Disney's snowy one is also pretty good, much preferred them both to Wet and Wild.

Gemmill's right about the food as well, go get a massive cheap breakfast somewhere beforehand (Ponderosa steakhouses did an all you can eat breakfast buffet for $3.99 last time I went- unbelievable stuff) and take packed lunches.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Details please

I'm supposed to be taking my brood in a couple of years.

Need a Dads night.

It was 2005 so god knows if it's even there still. It was definitely at the cheaper end of strip clubs though. Tramps in the corner type of place

Not at all. If we go to the Magic Kingdom it'll be primarily for the fireworks and parade anyway. Sounds like there's more than enough other stuff to keep us entertained, and it's not going to be all theme park stuff anyway. Like I said, all advice welcome.

You'll love it man, don't listen to them. I recently went to the magic kingdom and California land at the LA park with my three year old and his four and seven year old cousins. We got there at 8am , were still dashing around the park going on rides at 10pm at night and all talked about it for days after.

It's the way Disney does it that's so magic. You don't go for the thrill rides, it's the little touches. Enjoy!

You'll love it man, don't listen to them. I recently went to the magic kingdom and California land at the LA park with my three year old and his four and seven year old cousins. We got there at 8am , were still dashing around the park going on rides at 10pm at night and all talked about it for days after.

It's the way Disney does it that's so magic. You don't go for the thrill rides, it's the little touches. Enjoy!

Thank you :)

And thanks jonasjuice too.

• 2 weeks later...

@@catmag

3 park pass for Seaworld, Busch and Aquatica for £76

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/3-park-seaworld-aquatica-busch-gardens-ticket-2014-14-days-76-attractiontix-using-1947321

Never been to Typhoon Lagoon so not sure how it compares, but we went to Aquatica and thought it would be a bairn's idea of heaven.

http://aquaticabyseaworld.com/en/orlando/park-info/map/?from=Top_Nav

There's a restaurant in Sea World which is sort of underneath the tanks so you get whales and sharks and all other sorts of fish swimming past. The food was really good when we went (about 6 year ago now), totally different from your standard theme park fare. Think I had some sort of mixed seafood thing with scallops and seared tuna.

I still loved the Magic Kingdom when we went then. The bairn was only three like so that certainly helped (especially with the parade which she absolutely loved) but I have to admit I'm a bit of a soft shite when it comes to big rides so the likes of Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain were all spot on for me. I went five or six times when I was a kid so I still enjoyed the Haunted Mansion and even the likes of Pirates but they might seem lame if I was seeing them for the first time now. I thorouhly enjoyed Animal Kingdom and Epcot too.

Islands of Adventure is really good, that Jurassic Park ride is mint.

I thought Kennedy was shite when I was about 10. Never went back after that.

I'd actually go to Florida (or anywhere in America really) just for Red Lobster. I'm sure there's much better restaurants (I've certainly been to some just around the international drive area of Orlando)but I really can't get enough of that place and I just wish we could get places like that over here.

just back from a fucking amazing trip to disneyland paris. we're plotting a trip to florida for next summer. you'll have a blast cath

I prefer Paris to Florida, it's the perfect size for 3/4 days and is a great break and as corny as it sounds is brilliant to see your kids faces especially when they're younger. The first time I ever went there was only my eldest daughter and the look on her face when she met Snow White was just priceless. The rides are good as well. It's been about five years since we've been and I fancy going back.

• 6 months later...

Plans are coming together...

Busch Gardens

Islands of Adventure/Harry Potter

Universal

Long weekend at Wyndham Blossom Creek (inc fireworks at Magic Kingdom)

VIP's at a Tampa Bay Rays game

Caspersen Beach

Ride on a Fire Truck (if Rob's boss agrees to let him borrow one from work)

Easter Sunday egg hunt

Beaches

BBQ's

Wine (for the mams while the boys and dad do boy stuff)

In return, I have to take Tetley teabags. Cadburys chocolate and proper crisps.

Yeah, I think he's about the right age to go now (he'll be 6) It would have been wasted on him before about now I think. I'm stupidly excited about telling him. I know when I'm going to do it but not how. If anyone has any ideas for that too then please feel free to chip in!

Yeah, I think he's about the right age to go now (he'll be 6) It would have been wasted on him before about now I think. I'm stupidly excited about telling him. I know when I'm going to do it but not how. If anyone has any ideas for that too then please feel free to chip in!

I've a great idea. Did it with my two before we went to paris Disney. Wish you had mentioned it that Saturday, man!

I've a great idea. Did it with my two before we went to paris Disney. Wish you had mentioned it that Saturday, man!

Tell me, or piss off with your wummery :lol:

hey now we can't be taking those out of the country, they're for me

I've told all the crisp-sellers in the north-east to order extra supplies for around February time ;)

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions for where has the best exchange rate for $$ at the moment?

Look out for who does the best deal re: their buying it back commission free. I think M&S do (or they used to, I haven't been abroad for a while) and same goes for the aforementioned Post Office. Whoever you bank with might do the same.

My advice is to do it quickly, the trend back down in value which started a few weeks backs looks to have taken hold. So any delay of a few weeks would more than wipe out any gains from finding the lowest charge. Not that you'd want to stop looking for the lowest charges and best rates, its just i would do it now (or rather a few weeks ago).

Post Office were offering a terrible rate last time I needed foreign currency. I use a Caxton FX card, generally offers decent rates plus you can just take money out as you need it.