The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

Watching the BBL this morning, it looks like we should be looking to develop Archer. Bowling at 90+ with ease. Apparently he's an all rounder too. 

Funny hairstyle but good bowler. Has he pledged allegiance to any country yet though?

52 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

He's got an English parent so he might qualify.  Not really sure about the rules. 

Ah, I think that would change things. I'd read an article earlier in the summer about him which suggested he'd still need the full 7 years qualification period but if he has an English parent I think he can just choose which side he wants to play.

On 12/24/2017 at 8:35 PM, Kid Dynamite said:

AJ Tye got another hatrick for the Scorchers again yesterday 

Don't know what your association is with him, but, yeah, he is the goods.

Anderson and Broad playing ok in this game. Tbf Anderson has tried the entire series. Bit of bad luck for Curran not to get Warner. Probably the highlight of the day that no ball. :lol:

Captain Smith, with one hand, again a class above. He is always one step ahead.

So Australia lose starc and Cummins has a niggle and suddenly their attack doesn’t look all that clever. Luckily for them, their three main fast bowlers were all fit for the first three tests. It doesn’t happen very often but they’re a completely different side when they’re all fit - and rather ordinary when not.

Nice to see a good partnership from Cook and root. Shame it came three tests too late.

45 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So Australia lose starc and Cummins has a niggle and suddenly their attack doesn’t look all that clever. Luckily for them, their three main fast bowlers were all fit for the first three tests. It doesn’t happen very often but they’re a completely different side when they’re all fit - and rather ordinary when not.

Nice to see a good partnership from Cook and root. Shame it came three tests too late.

So take two of the best bowlers out from any team in the world - one through injury and one playing with Delhi belly. What happens? It isn't rocket science.

I'm glad you thought us as superior though. ;)

Cook is playing for his test career, and so is Broad. I have a feeling they were read the riot act; Perform or fuck off forever.

You could say the same about us losing the best all rounder in the world. Still think we’d have lost even if stokes had been fit for reasons already discussed in this thread. Don’t think it would have necessarily been after three tests though.

But yes, take away a couple of your best players and an ordinary test side looks even more more average - particularly if playing away from home conditions. Still think your claim that you’ll be competitive next time you visit us looks hugely optimistic.

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You could say the same about us losing the best all rounder in the world. Still think we’d have lost even if stokes had been fit for reasons already discussed in this thread. Don’t think it would have necessarily been after three tests though.

But yes, take away a couple of your best players and an ordinary test side looks even more more average - particularly if playing away from home conditions. Still think your claim that you’ll be competitive next time you visit us looks hugely optimistic.

Stokes, Wood, it doesn't matter, it wouldn't have made a difference. Your lot are shit on fast wickets. This Melbourne pitch is flat and slow. Nothing in it and it suits your lot.

My claim that we will be competitive is valid. You have ageing players whose eligibility remains a mystery. We have a bowling attack to get 20 wickets. We just need to find a few batsman that can compliment Smith and Warner. I don't think you have batsmen that can bat for more than an hour tbh.

Cook, Root, Stokes, Moeen, Bairstow can all bat big. 

I think broad and Anderson will almost certainly still be leading the attack in two years time. They’re both completely different bowlers at home. Your bowling attack is a threat - if they can all stay fit - but starc aside, can the others get it swinging? 

Your batting lineup looks entirely unconvincing against the moving ball. I’d even include smith there as it exposed his weird technique. When there no lateral movement he’s clearly the best batter in the world right now. So that’ll be a big test for him, to prove those doubters wrong. Wouldn’t surprise me if he did so tbh. He hasn’t got much else to prove 

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Cook, Root, Stokes, Moeen, Bairstow can all bat big. 

I think broad and Anderson will almost certainly still be leading the attack in two years time. They’re both completely different bowlers at home. Your bowling attack is a threat - if they can all stay fit - but starc aside, can the others get it swinging? 

Your batting lineup looks entirely unconvincing against the moving ball. I’d even include smith there as it exposed his weird technique. When there no lateral movement he’s clearly the best batter in the world right now. So that’ll be a big test for him, to prove those doubters wrong. Wouldn’t surprise me if he did so tbh. He hasn’t got much else to prove 

Moeen :lol:

Anderson is old (cricketing terms) and has played so many matches. Needs to get through another two summers. Unlikely man but if he did he wouldn't be so good.  Cummins will become our premier bowler in two years time and yes he can swing them and move them off the seam.

Our batting lineup has holes in it, I have never denied it, but yours has more, regardless of where you play.

2 hours ago, Ken said:

Moeen :lol:

Anderson is old (cricketing terms) and has played so many matches. Needs to get through another two summers. Unlikely man but if he did he wouldn't be so good.  Cummins will become our premier bowler in two years time and yes he can swing them and move them off the seam.

Our batting lineup has holes in it, I have never denied it, but yours has more, regardless of where you play.

Yeah, he’s got 5 or 6 test match tons despite batting in every spot 1-9

And like I’ve already said, Anderson is probably our fittest player, rarely struggles with injury and isnhungry for over 600 test wickets. He’s still doing the business because he doesn’t rely on express pace so you don’t have to worry about him losing a yard. He’s still a magician with the ball when it’s swinging and as long as that continues, he’ll still be around.

As far as batting goes, yours are much better at home. But against the swinging duke ball? Not so much.