The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

now michael clarke comes out saying we're weaker without peitersen too :lol:

don't worry though lads, the ecb know more than the opposition captain about who they'll fear playing most.

Edited by Dr Gloom

He's obviously on the wind up as he said he got on well with KP.

possibly, but i doubt he's lying and i imagine he is pleased KP isn't in the side.

whatever you think of KP, he is one of england's only proven world class, destructive batsmen. yes, he can gift away his wicket cheaply but he's the wicket most opposition bowlers value chalking up most because of how dangerous he is when he gets in. who else can take a game away from the opposition like KP can in the current set up? Buttler maybe but he's far from proven. i suppose root can get into one day mode if there are runs on the board, playing at number 5, but the rest of them are touch players and accumulators.

Said that as a bit of a joke and I do think he's on the wind-up a bit. I also agree he'll be pleased KP isn't going to be playing (especially with the form he's in). KP must be the only common factor in all England's Ashes wins since the 80s, come to think of it. Well, him and Michael Clarke.

Said that as a bit of a joke and I do think he's on the wind-up a bit.

I think it's definitely a case of trying to stick the boot in but it's also the absolute truth. As an Aussie who watches a lot of cricket I can honestly say I'm glad KP isn't playing for your lot.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Bell continues to struggle to score runs. I wouldn't be surprised if England pick KP for the first test against Australia after getting beaten 2-0 by the Kiwis.

All this talk about KP though is at least distracting from England's complete lack of anything approaching a decent bowling lineup. Unless it reverses from over 20 every innings your lot are going to be chasing alot of leather.

I think it's definitely a case of trying to stick the boot in but it's also the absolute truth. As an Aussie who watches a lot of cricket I can honestly say I'm glad KP isn't playing for your lot.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Bell continues to struggle to score runs. I wouldn't be surprised if England pick KP for the first test against Australia after getting beaten 2-0 by the Kiwis.

All this talk about KP though is at least distracting from England's complete lack of anything approaching a decent bowling lineup. Unless it reverses from over 20 every innings your lot are going to be chasing alot of leather.

Well I certainly think there's a canny chance of getting beat off NZ anyway. Doesn't appear to be any chance of KP coming back though with Strauss getting the role at the ECB though. Re: the bowling, Broad looked to be getting back to something like his best in the Windies and Anderson showed he can still do it. I think your bowling line-up is definitely better but English conditions may suit us a bit more. A lack of a quality spinner is an issue because, as Swann recently pointed out, the drainage systems all the test grounds now have means the pitches are so dry and will all turn from about day 3. We missed the boat giving Adil Rashid a try in the Carribean because Cook and Moores were too concerned about picking a side not to lose to try and keep their respective jobs. Which, if nothing else, should act as a reminder that safety first rarely works even in the 5-day game now.

Yeah you're probably right about the ECB/Straus v KP. But you never know. They've taken such a hit to their credibility publicly that they may just pick KP in a desperate effort to garner some positivity. I don't know. I'm just wouldn't be surprised if KP plays Test cricket this summer (your summer).

I'll defer to your judgement on England's seamers. I didn't follow the EngvWI series all that closely. Not beating WI is a worry though.

On the England spinner. England cannot rely on Treadwell or M. Ali to bowl them to victory in the second innings. Maybe Treadwell can tie down an end but that's about it I reckon.

Cook does seem like the conservative type naturally and he has only gotten worse as the side and his own form has deteriorated. I completely agree that, in all forms of cricket nowadays, fortune favours the brave. That's why the likes of McCullum and Clarke are considered quality captains. Cook, not so much.

agreed. i don't buy into the current approach of playing two all rounders to deepen the batting line up - jordon or stokes for me, not both. bowlers win games. we need a genuine wicket-taking alternative to jimmy and broad. a hit the deck bowler would be good. moeen ali is no graeme swann either. it's not looking good for the summer with the current ultra-conservative approach to selection.

we won the last home ashes series by preparing spin friendly pitches to suit swann and exploit the aussie's lack of a front-line spinner of any class. i wouldn't want to rely on moeen ali bowling us to victory. i can see a few of the aussie lads going after him early on in the series to try to kill his confidence.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Yeah. They'll definitely try to smash him everywhere.

Right on the two all rounders and batting to no. 9 too. Scoring 400 every innings means very little if you can't bowl a side out.

And so the public outcry for KP begins. The ECB could have easily avoided the situation that is about to develop and overshadow the entire summer. Muppets.

fight back from Stokes with fours in consecutive deliveries. He's playing higher up the order than he should because Moeen Ali was having a net, not expecting to have to take strike so early :lol: