The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

let's see your fantasy selection then, alex. you know you want to.

Wouldn't be far off yours. Would like to see Bell-Drummond open with Cook, Hales at 3 then shuffle everybody up a place with Rashid/Wood/Finn vying for the final spot based on form / pitch etc.

yes, hales has a bit to do to prove he can make it as a test opener. i liked his application against sri lanka after his failures in South Africa but he hasn't looked convincing against Pakistan. DK made the valid point that he hasn't done it yet at the top of the order against a quality pace attack and amir was beating him all ends up. I think he might be worth sticking with for a bit longer though to see if he can make it there.

I wouldn't be inclined to move Root again now. He couldn't have looked any better than he did at three in the last test and even in the first one he was ok just played a couple of daft shots. I think we're a lot more likely to have a good platform to play off with him there and that will take pressure of who comes after.

Could Hales play at 4?

I wouldn't be inclined to move Root again now. He couldn't have looked any better than he did at three in the last test and even in the first one he was ok just played a couple of daft shots. I think we're a lot more likely to have a good platform to play off with him there and that will take pressure of who comes after.

Could Hales play at 4?

Another option would be Bell-Drummond at 4. I know he's an opener but lots of openers have started their international careers down the order. I think Hales could play at 4 though.

Edit: Agree about Root looking class at 3 but I think he would've at 4 or 5 too. Also, he's got a very good record in those positions so it's not like it's experimenting as far as he's concerned. Fwiw, I don't think they'll change the top 5 for the next test anyway.

Edited by Alex

Another option would be Bell-Drummond at 4. I know he's an opener but lots of openers have started their international careers down the order. I think Hales could play at 4 though.

Edit: Agree about Root looking class at 3 but I think he would've at 4 or 5 too. Also, he's got a very good record in those positions so it's not like it's experimenting as far as he's concerned. Fwiw, I don't think they'll change the top 5 for the next test anyway.

Root is one of the best batsmen in the world so I agree he would have looked class anywhere, I'm just thinking that too often we end up 40 for 3 or whatever so having his influence along with Cook earlier might be something that helps avoid that.

Chasing 268 in the first Test in Sr Lanka, Australia were all out for 161, their innings finishing with a record 154 consecutive deliveries without a run.

That's more balls than a T20 innings :lol:

Weather forecast looks fine for the saturday I'm at Edgbaston. Hopefully they'll still be a game on. Not a fan of Saturday being day 4. Should be day 3. Looks like Finn is back in the side, which I don't really understand, the form he's been in of late.

Root is one of the best batsmen in the world so I agree he would have looked class anywhere, I'm just thinking that too often we end up 40 for 3 or whatever so having his influence along with Cook earlier might be something that helps avoid that.

Or not.

Warne was saying before that he thinks he's the type of player who will quite often go for about 20. If we stick with him I can see him being someone that can score some big scores but more often than not go cheaply. Personally I think we need someone a bit more consistent at number 4.

Aye Root's shot was pony.

oh dear, there goes the skipper and the glue holding the innings together. he was looking in good touch too.

don't fancy these two at 4 and 5 at all. hope they can prove me wrong or we're looking at a low score.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Story of his test career. I think that's probably his last chance unless he makes a big score in the second innings.

We need one of them to dig in and get a ton to set up the game as it looks like being a low scoring affair. Bairstow and woakes probably the most likely to put on a big partnership on recent form