Russell Brand

Dr Gloom

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play to him. He's absolutely spot on about the media destroying and misrepresenting anyone who speaks out against the status quo as well. As said nearly as soon as this happened it would be used in some way as an excuse for further military action and within a day or two they were on about bombing ISIS in Syria.

Aye when I first saw the story about him being "confronted", it sounded like something one of the tabloids would stage manage to make him look like an arsehole. He came out of it well either way though.

His justifications were a bit vague in that video for being against the one minute silence.

Because 'someone' was 'selling arms(?)' to 'someone' before 9/11 this means that economics has driven a 'policy' (which one and by whom) which has led to the Tunisian massacre. Therefore, the UK government is not allowed to call for a one minute silence to mark the atrociousness of the massacre.

Not sure i get the morality of that, helps that he starts off his speech with 'i'll tell you what it is mate' as that sets the tone nicely. He's a geezer after all.

Think the general argument that the actions of successive governments doesn't really tie in with giving a fuck about the potential consequences for soft targets from this country (at home or abroad) is a sound one.

Which actions of which governments? The UK government sells arms to the middle-east so is therefore not allowed to mourn 30 tourists being shot on holiday for no reason. Its a bit loose like.

I don't think that's quite what he was saying. You probably agree but you're being contrary for the sake of it, as usual.

I'm not. I listened and thought i think i can see the logic but i'm not sure it hangs together.

He was speaking freely for 5 minutes but what it boiled down to was that the governments caused terrorism and so therefore cant mourn it. Is morality that simple? As my understanding of moral theory would interpret that as meaning that the actions of the current UK government have in the past equated to shooting 30 innocent tourists. There may be some who think that is true with the drone programme and wars in the middle east killing thousands of innocent people. Thats not really what Russell says though.

His justifications were a bit vague in that video for being against the one minute silence.

Because 'someone' was 'selling arms(?)' to 'someone' before 9/11 this means that economics has driven a 'policy' (which one and by whom) which has led to the Tunisian massacre. Therefore, the UK government is not allowed to call for a one minute silence to mark the atrociousness of the massacre.

Not sure i get the morality of that, helps that he starts off his speech with 'i'll tell you what it is mate' as that sets the tone nicely. He's a geezer after all.

Thought he was reasonably specific about 'someone' being the nations on the UK's own human rights abuse lists.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10183222/Britain-approves-12bn-of-military-exports-to-human-rights-abusers.html

Which is definitely hypocritical. You still need to make a moral jump to saying its hypocritical to hold a minutes silence for the massacre in Tunisia. I do agree with him about how the press reported the tragedy as caused by a Muslim without reporting the heroics of the people there.

• 2 months later...

Why do stereotypical 19 year old lefty students get so much stick?

I was a 19 year old righty student and I never get criticised for being such a cunt womble.

At least I changed, the only 19 year old righty students that get stick are the ones that don't change and end up running the country.

Parky, you seem to have forgotten that Brand is David Lynch's homeboy? Get back on message.

I still like him. Just showing he's more mysterious than people realise....

Edited by Park Life

I'll watch these videos later. Must admit, I'd stopped watching the Trews for a bit and now I find out he's scrapped it. Is that him done trying to change the world? What are the planets saying?

Didn't have a father from 6 months onward so ideal for programming (loose self-image). On the other hand has a very good star chart so might rebel....

katy-perry-purr-by-katy-perry-2010-fragr

Edited by Park Life