Syriza test case.

Park Life

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be a global tax aimed at multi-nationals (wherever they are based) and this money should be collected and redistributed to struggling countries and regions.

This looks pretty much over now. I work with a Greek guy (who now holds most of his parents' assets and cash, and is trying to secure British citizenship as quickly as possible) and he puts the blame squarely at the feet of the Greek governments through the past couple of decades. He says he's struggling to blame the EU because Greece has played this so poorly.

They have played it poorly to be honest; that referendum backfired spectacularly. That said, it was strange when I was arguing with him that the Greek people, his people, didn't deserve this. And he was arguing that after years of government funded excess, that actually yes, they did.

He's been living in Britain too long I reckon...

This looks pretty much over now. I work with a Greek guy (who now holds most of his parents' assets and cash, and is trying to secure British citizenship as quickly as possible) and he puts the blame squarely at the feet of the Greek governments through the past couple of decades. He says he's struggling to blame the EU because Greece has played this so poorly.

They have played it poorly to be honest; that referendum backfired spectacularly. That said, it was strange when I was arguing with him that the Greek people, his people, didn't deserve this. And he was arguing that after years of government funded excess, that actually yes, they did.

He's been living in Britain too long I reckon...

There is some blame to former Greek Govt...But the vast maj of the blame lies with the EU and especially Germany. There are fundamental problems with Capitalism which has impacted on Greece....Long story...

This will be the third time the Germans have managed to destroy Europe. People must understand Germans aren't fit human beings to have any kind of power. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Parky - are you REALLY saying that Greece is in this mess due to the EU?

if so why isn't everyone in the same boat?? -the Irish , the balts, the Spanish etc have done what was necessary - the Greeks seem to think the world owes them a living - and it doesn't

Edited by Rob W

if so why isn't everyone in the same boat?? -the Irish , the balts, the Spanish etc have done what was necessary - the Greeks seem to think the world owes them a living - and it doesn't

Aye but which of those have to spend 50% of their weekly income on replacing crockery? huh?

I think the point is that nothing that the EU are making them do is designed to get them OUT of their predicament. They are being made to borrow in order to make payments on previous loans. Everyone has basically admitted that their debt is unsustainable yet no one is talking about debt relief, just more borrowing.

And yes, the austerity that they've been required to implement has plunged their economy into depression. They're being used as an experiment with a guaranteed negative outcome.

Last time I looked Spain debt was 889 billion euros and Italy is running double/triple that (that's the official figures). I reckon both are double that. The euro has driven barely functioning economies into the dust. The original much vaunted idea was that Northern surpluses were going to be used to grow Southern economies. We know now that was just bullshit.

Schauble has a genuinely evil look about him. If he'd been born in the early part of the 20th century, who know what he would have been up to by the 30s and 40s.

Survived an assassination attempt in 1990.

• 1 month later...