Optimistic?

Makom

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle United to pay price for refusing to cut wages

Newcastle do not have clauses in player contracts to cut their wage bill automatically if they drop into the Championship. Although it is unclear how many do not have the clauses, it is thought none of the top earners will be forced to take a wage cut.

It is established practice for agents to demand higher basic wages for clients if these clauses are inserted.

A number of Newcastle players, who would guarantee Premier League survival if they beat West Ham at St James' Park on Sunday, have already indicated they want to move on in the summer.

Moussa Sissoko, Papiss Cissé and Cheick Tiote’s agents are all looking for new clubs, while Telegraph Sport has also been informed that there are serious doubts about whether goalkeeper Tim Krul and right-back Daryl Janmaat will still be at the club next season.

Sissoko, who has already admitted he wants to join a Champions League club this summer, is one of the players who does not have a relegation clause in his contract, as his agent refused one when he joined from Toulouse in January 2013.

Captain Fabricio Coloccini, who is the club’s best-paid player, is another who is thought not to have a relegation clause. Although the Argentina international has not agitated to leave since he was approached by San Lorenzo two years ago, he has admitted publicly that he would like to return to South America.

Others who are also keen to quit are Yoan Gouffran and Gabriel Obertan, although neither would be missed, given their poor form.

Sammy Ameobi, Ryan Taylor and Jonás Gutiérrez will be out of contract in the summer and will not be offered extensions.

The fact that so many players either do not want to be at the club, or already know they are leaving, seriously weakens Newcastle’s survival chances and means head coach John Carver has consistently struggled to motivate the side since he replaced Alan Pardew in January.

Newcastle United declined to comment when asked by Telegraph Sport to clarify how many players had relegation clauses in their contracts.

Meanwhile, Carver is stubbornly clinging on to the hope he will be made head coach on a permanent basis if he keeps Newcastle up, even though he has presided over an embarrassing slump that has taken his team from ninth in the table to fourth from bottom. He has won just two games as head coach and Newcastle have lost nine out of their last 10, picking up a solitary point.

Should Hull beat Manchester United on Sunday, Newcastle must beat West Ham to avoid relegation.

Although Newcastle were last relegated from the Premier League as recently as 2009, the club have not learnt from previous mistakes.

Whereas Hull and Sunderland, the two other clubs who could go down on the final day of the season, have made sure their wage bill is slashed, with relegation clauses that will cut wages by as much as 50 per cent, Newcastle could be accused of arrogantly believing they are too good to go down. When Newcastle fell out of the top flight six years ago, relegation cost them £35  million in lost revenue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/11614055/Newcastle-United-to-pay-price-for-refusing-to-cut-wages.html

@@Happy Face was making the point yesterday on Twitter that the club have learnt absolutely nothing from the last relegation and it seems that has also been true when negotiating the players' contracts.

Plus it looks like this is going to be the only player left at the club come September:

mike-williamson-360.png

The question could be asked are a few of the current starting 11 hoping for relegation in the knowledge they will be sold on cheaper (or at a more realistic value) if the club was in the 2nd tier?

Is there a clause in Carvers contract which says he gets paid fuck all if he takes us down.

No, the cowards didn't put it in. Because they're cowardly.

The question could be asked are a few of the current starting 11 hoping for relegation in the knowledge they will be sold on cheaper (or at a more realistic value) if the club was in the 2nd tier?

It could be argued.

On the other hand, if Sissoko wants to move to a CL club (ie one he isn't good enough for) then getting relegated isn't going to do him much good. Any club interested in him, thats had him scouted throughout the season, will mostly see a sulky, inconsistent performer who can dominate games but too often doesn't.

I can't think of a club that will regularly get through the group stages of the champions league who would want him as a starter.

Janmaat will find one of those clubs quite easily mind imo and we'd miss him a lot more.

Krul to go too I think once De Gea goes to Real Madrid a bit of a goalkeeper merry-go-round will start and we'll lose him to someone like Spurs or Stoke

I reckon this is who could leave this summer in order of most to least likely.

Ryan Taylor

Facundo Ferreyra

Jonas Gutierrez

Samuel Ameobi

Jak Alnwick

Remie Streete

Adam Campbell

Lubomir Satka

Shane Ferguson

Moussa Sissoko

Vurnon Anita

Yoan Gouffran

Mike Williamson

Rob Elliot

Gabriel Obertan

Steven Taylor

Cheick Tiote

Papiss Demba Cissé

Tim Krul

Daryl Janmaat

So we're essentially looking at buying a whole new team based on this article. I mean, we need one, but the chances of us pulling a Southampton out of the bag here and managing to do this in a competent fashion are slim to none.

I think all 4 of your least likely to go may well go.

Tiote and Cisse being dead certs.

Cisse will be off somewhere for a massive payday, hes 29 and if he gets much older with us we'll get nothing for him,

Tiote isn't as good as he thinks and won't have the takers he wants in the PL, Will go abroad.

Does Sissoko think he's impressed other clubs with his shit play this season.Because of his size he night have Stoke interested in buying him.On current form he he's good enough for us because we are shit.Some on here still think Krul is a decent keeper so hopefully there is a club out there with the same clueless views who will sign him.

I think all 4 of your least likely to go may well go.

Tiote and Cisse being dead certs.

Cisse will be off somewhere for a massive payday, hes 29 and if he gets much older with us we'll get nothing for him,

Tiote isn't as good as he thinks and won't have the takers he wants in the PL, Will go abroad.

There's definitely an argument for CIsse leaving. But I can't see many people taking a risk on Tiote at a price we're willing to sell.

Janmaat won't go yet (maybe in January)

Krul's had a poor season and none of the big teams need a 'keeper this year, not that he's good enough to play for them. I can't see him swapping the comfort and assured starting position at Newcastle for maybe getting a start for Stoke or Villa?

Janmaat will definitely go if we get relegated. He is our best player and Man U are reported to be interested.

Plus, he seems like one of only a few that actually worked their bollocks of this year so I wouldn't begrudge him a move.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Agreed, can't see Janmaat sticking around if we go down. It's a shame this as there's a few players at our club who could be decent if they weren't managed in such a horrendous way. I'm not exactly sympathetic to the players in this mess, but given the utter clusterfuck going on above them, I think a loss of motivation is understandable. Especially if they've been informed that Carver is getting the job permanently.

Reading that list is optimistic as ever Fish.

We've been trying to shift Cisse for over a year now. I actually doubt Tiote is injured at all and fancies a move a in the Summer. The only ones that will want to stay are Mike Williamson,Goufran, Obertan Ryan Taylor and local lads like Steven Taylor, Dummet, Streete, Armstrong etc.

Fish in looney prediction shocker!

If Janmaat isn't away I'll eat my arse in Fenwicks window!

Don't know why you think Tayor is likely to go at all. Unless his contract is running out he'll be one of the ones we have to keep.

Fish in looney prediction shocker!

If Janmaat isn't away I'll eat my arse in Fenwicks window!

Don't know why you think Tayor is likely to go at all. Unless his contract is running out he'll be one of the ones we have to keep.

yeah, his contract is up but I suspect he'll be given another if we go down.

Edited by Holden McGroin