How many Newcastle games have you been to?

McFaul

First game was New Year's Day 1983 (had to look it up to check as I couldn't remember if it was 83 or 84). I went with me Dad and it was in the old benches bit down by the pitch at the front of the then newish East Stand. Don't remember much about the game other than it being against Carlisle United and us being 1-nil up then 2-1 down. Keegan scored both our goals but I can only remember the volleyed equaliser. Loved the atmosphere, especially the last 15 mins or so when we pushed for a winner. The Newcastle side included KK (obviously), Terry Mac, Chris Waddle and Imre Varadi. 'Pop' Robson played for Carlisle and Bob Stokoe was their manager. I think it was the first time I'd seen adults behave like that.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably say well over 1000 home games and about 100 away games. When I started going to SJP when I was 7 with my father, three quarters of the 60000 capacity was standing. If you arrived just before the kick off you would be passed down the crowd from the back to the front. We used to go to all the away games north of Sheffield. I was lucky to go and see our cup final wins in the 50's and all the games in the World Cup 66 up to semi finals.

First game was a 3-0 win over West Ham in the 95/96 season. Was 4, I believe. Maybe 5 if it was early 96. I remember some shit muncher for them getting sent off and was sitting in the East Stand, I think. Couldn't tell you how many I've been to but the number has dropped over the past couple of seasons. A combination of working weekends and being served up absolute dogshit football by players I can't stand.

I'm quite surprised at how few games a lot of people on here go to or rather how few you have been to. I understand peoples lives move on with family's and work but I would have thought if you're going to spend as much time on time on here discussing the team/club then you would have been more regular match goers.

I'm not having a go at anyone btw, and I realise Gem only comes on here to take the piss out of Fish, I'm just quite surprised.

Edited by David Kelly

I'm quite surprised at how few games a lot of people on here go to or rather how few you have been to. I understand peoples lives move on with family's and work but I would have thought if you're going to spend as much time on time on here discussing the team/club then you would have been more regular match goers.

I'm not having a go at anyone btw, and I realise Gem only comes on here to take the piss out of Fish, I'm just quite surprised.

They came for the football.... They stayed for the bantz.

That's the Toontastic: The Movie strapline.

First game was a 3-0 win over West Ham in the 95/96 season. Was 4, I believe. Maybe 5 if it was early 96. I remember some shit muncher for them getting sent off and was sitting in the East Stand, I think. Couldn't tell you how many I've been to but the number has dropped over the past couple of seasons. A combination of working weekends and being served up absolute dogshit football by players I can't stand.

Fuckin hell, that game. Honestly this in my entire life against all sides, some incredibly shit, that game was THE most one sided affair I've ever seen in my life. We've seen plenty 5-0s, 5-1s, 7-1s even but that game against West Ham 12-0 would've flattered them never mind 3-0.

Totally agree.

I was a matchgoer but I find it hard to believe that people haven't had that energy completely sapped out of them over the past 6/7 seasons. That canny period under Hughton and 11/12 aside, it's been the most depressing shit imaginable. Most of the time at home over the last 3 years, we've hardly been in the game and got repeated hidings. It was even worse away

I say this, fully aware that I never saw the 80s when Terry Fuckwit and Johnny Sex-Pest or whoever were our strikers.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

:lol: Says the man who is two seasons into the most lax boycott ever staged. Hasn't missed a game since he swore off going back til Ashley sold up. :lol:

EDIT: Not AH.

Edited by Gemmill

Fuckin hell, that game. Honestly this in my entire life against all sides, some incredibly shit, that game was THE most one sided affair I've ever seen in my life. We've seen plenty 5-0s, 5-1s, 7-1s even but that game against West Ham 12-0 would've flattered them never mind 3-0.

I think the stat was 27 attempts on goal. Great game but my cynical view was to score 3 out of 27 was a disgrace :)

:lol: Says the man who is two seasons into the most lax boycott ever staged. Hasn't missed a game since he swore off going back til Ashley sold up. :lol:

EDIT: Not AH.

Kelly was on about peoples historical support. When you've been brought up and schooled in 10 different places, mainly non-Newcastle, like some you might as well be classed as a gypsy, or a posh gypsy thinking about certain people. We understand how those types are very different don't you worry.

I think the stat was 27 attempts on goal. Great game but my cynical view was to score 3 out of 27 was a disgrace :)

I thought it was in the 30s. Incredible game. One of Tino's best I may add.

I was a matchgoer but I find it hard to believe that people haven't had that energy completely sapped out of them over the past 6/7 seasons. That canny period under Hughton and 11/12 aside, it's been the most depressing shit imaginable. Most of the time at home over the last 3 years, we've hardly been in the game and got repeated hidings. It was even worse away

I say this, fully aware that I never saw the 80s when Terry Fuckwit and Johnny Sex-Pest or whoever were our strikers.

I can understand that attitude but I'm just more surprised to hear that people like Gemmil or KCG's never really went to the match regularly for a long time in the first place. Obviously it's easier to understand how those who haven't went every other week for most of their lives can jack it in. One of my mates regularly has a half serious go at me for being part of the problem because I keep going to games and allowing Ashley to continue doing what he wants. But he played semi professional football until he was well into his forties so he never had the same experience as me of going to every single home game for most of my life. I can fully understand how Stevie wanted to make a stance but found it difficult to stay away. Of course making such a public show of making that stand on here is coming back to bite him in the arse now :D

I can understand that attitude but I'm just more surprised to hear that people like Gemmil or KCG's never really went to the match regularly for a long time in the first place. Obviously it's easier to understand how those who haven't went every other week for most of their lives can jack it in. One of my mates regularly has a half serious go at me for being part of the problem because I keep going to games and allowing Ashley to continue doing what he wants. But he played semi professional football until he was well into his forties so he never had the same experience as me of going to every single home game for most of my life. I can fully understand how Stevie wanted to make a stance but found it difficult to stay away. Of course making such a public show of making that stand on here is coming back to bite him in the arse now :D

So basically I was always interested in football, but wasn't from a football family. My dad is from Cornwall and hates the game so there was never that "can't wait to take my son to his first game" thing. He couldn't care less about how Newcastle do. The older I get, the less I do tbh.

So basically I was always interested in football, but wasn't from a football family. My dad is from Cornwall and hates the game so there was never that "can't wait to take my son to his first game" thing. He couldn't care less about how Newcastle do. The older I get, the less I do tbh.

Which if it didn't come from you, I'd really wonder what you were doing posting on here. But as I said earlier I realise you don't really come here for the football.

Kelly was on about peoples historical support. When you've been brought up and schooled in 10 different places, mainly non-Newcastle, like some you might as well be classed as a gypsy, or a posh gypsy thinking about certain people. We understand how those types are very different don't you worry.

:lol: You could class them as a gypsy, or you could class them as non-insular and with horizons that extend beyond the NE postcode. It's all about your outlook, I guess.

Which if it didn't come from you, I'd really wonder what you were doing posting on here. But as I said earlier I realise you don't really come here for the football.

I signed up after I'd sailed my gypsy caravan to America and missed football (at the time I had a season ticket). There's a good chance I wouldn't have signed up at all but for that tbh.

I signed up after I'd sailed my gypsy caravan to America and missed football (at the time I had a season ticket). There's a good chance I wouldn't have signed up at all but for that tbh.

:D I think we can all be greatful you spread your wings back in the day then! Edited by David Kelly

:lol: You could class them as a gypsy, or you could class them as non-insular and with horizons that extend beyond the NE postcode. It's all about your outlook, I guess.

The bloke spends more time in Sunderland than Newcastle these days :lol: