Newcastle Tour 2016

Tyne Bridge

Evening,

I am regular reader but don't post often as I have limited value to add to conversations!

Anyway I am bringing my ageing veterans football team to Tyneside from Hertfordshire for the 3rd time in six years to play two games on Tyneside in April.

We are booking Akbars on the Saturday night for a curry but need a recommendation for the Friday.

There are 14 of us.

We are staying in the Premier Inn New Bridge Street so a Central location preferable.

Also last time we were up, April 2014, it was dead in town \ quayside until about 11pm.

Any suggestions on where we should go as our football games will finish about 1pm.

We are 40ish in age and are just looking for a laugh, some good beers and no bother.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

You could do a lot worse than spend your afternoon at the bars in the Ouseburn valley, it's a 5 minute taxi ride from your digs.

Great variety of beers, food and sound atmosphere. The Cluny and The Tyne, two of the best bars there, also have live music on, check their websites for what's on.

For eating, you might want to read this thread, (start on the last page and work back)

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/30814-recommend-me-a-good-restaurant-in-newcastle/page-26

Just avoid any recommendations by "the fat tit that went to Floritas" ;)

Akbar was terrible when we went in a large group. We had to wait a half hour for our table even though we'd booked and then the service was a joke with drinks being spilt on two of the lasses and food arriving at random times or not at all. My food was canny enough like but others complained. I got my drinks free in the end so I was quite happy!

Akbar was terrible when we went in a large group. We had to wait a half hour for our table even though we'd booked and then the service was a joke with drinks being spilt on two of the lasses and food arriving at random times or not at all. My food was canny enough like but others complained. I got my drinks free in the end so I was quite happy!

Same for me once, nearly word for word.

Same for me once, nearly word for word.

I had rabbit for the starter. It was quite nice but it really could have been any other light meat for what I could taste. In all fairness it was absolutely packed that night and I have heard other say good things about it since. But I wouldn't be desperate to go back.

We have been twice before but tend to go out quite early.

Service has been great and the food good on both occasions.

That said mind, the southern boys are always in awe of the size of the Northern portions. Make your own gags here.

Would appreciate any suggestions for a better alternative for a group of 14.

Cheers.

Aye I've not been to The Valley Junction myself but one of my mates (who's opinion I trust in this area) swears by it. Dabawal has been nice the two occasions I've been and we had a group of ten or more one of those time. Sachins and Vujon are both really good but I'm not sure how they'd be for that sort of size group.

There's another Indian in Hexham that's supposed to be really nice as well but can't remember the name of the place

Was trying to shoe-horn some Hexham Courant pun into this reply but gave up

• 1 month later...

Evening,

Thanks for all the culinary suggestions.

We are up this weekend and are playing two games at Gateshead Stadium on the 3G astro pitch on Saturday \ Sunday morning in a vain attempt to justify spending the whole weekend on the drink to our wives and partners.

The team we are meant to face on Sunday are now short of a few players so if a couple of you fancy a run out against an aged, half-cut bunch of southerners I am sure you will get a game. The astro pitch has been booked for a 10 am KO, roll on roll off subs, top and shorts provided so you would just need to have socks, shin pads and astros or moulded studs. A contribution towards pitch cost and referee fee would be welcome. Can you let me know though and I will get contact details of the lad who is organising the 'home' side to you?

Cheers!

Steve

One last question and then I will shut up.

I am travelling up in a minibus. Where is the best place to park?

The hotel haven't been much help, recommending places with a height restriction.

Anyway thanks for all the previous help and suggestions.

Regards,

Steve