Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

He let the miners in SJP for nothing when the strike was on which I'd forgotten about. Seen him out and about like Gemmill and thought it was radge as well seeing him strolling about Eldon Square not that long after the WC in Italy. He brought a NUFC team to the dome in Walker as well and everyone was just wandering amongst them and he was no bother whatsoever, it was as if it was a working men's club were playing and he was their manager. Loved his voice and him saying he'd have chinned Rijkaard if he'd spat at Jackie. :lol:

 

RIP big man.

I’m not sure playing the long ball game with Pedro and Paul Goddard up front was that great a plan mind ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alex said:

I like the story (possibly apocryphal) about when he went for the Ireland job. Supposedly he saw it as part time / semi-retirement meaning he could go fishing etc. When the FAI approached him and asked about wages he’s meant to have said something along the lines of “I’m not bothered, just give me what Eoin Hand was on”. When they told him what his predecessor earned he’s meant to have said “I want a canny bit more than that”. 

:lol: I hadn’t heard that one but I was reading earlier about how he wasn’t bothered about his wage when he managed Middlesbrough so it may well me true.

And I think he was already well on the way to semi retirement by the time he managed Newcastle.

Edited by ewerk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ewerk said:

 Needless to say he was a complete legend in Ireland.

 

I've genuinely been surprised by the reaction I've seen, obviously knew he was well thought of for doing what he did with the national team but it seems to run much deeper than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alex said:

I’m not sure playing the long ball game with Pedro and Paul Goddard up front was that great a plan mind ;) 

Goddard wasn't playing for us when Charlton managed us? I take your point about his style when you had Waddle and Beardsley playing, he wasn't really for us and followed a popular manager which didn't help. Anyway, was more on about his character overall than his NUFC record when as has been mentioned he was trying to be as part time as he could? It didn't take much for him to chuck it when it comes down to it. :good:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Goddard wasn't playing for us when Charlton managed us? I take your point about his style when you had Waddle and Beardsley playing, he wasn't really for us and followed a popular manager which didn't help. Anyway, was more on about his character overall than his NUFC record when as has been mentioned he was trying to be as part time as he could? It didn't take much for him to chuck it when it comes down to it. :good:

 

Who signed Goddard? McFaul? Agree about the character of the man. My dad met him a couple of times and he sounds like he was a very approachable, down to earth bloke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Alex said:

Who signed Goddard? McFaul? Agree about the character of the man. My dad met him a couple of times and he sounds like he was a very approachable, down to earth bloke. 

McFaul bought Goddard when we were in serious relegation trouble and he kept us up. Heard Darren Jackson praising him to the hilt the other day on Wraith's YouTube show. Was a good listen to be fair even if you discount friend of the krays, Steve. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen Jackie Charlton out and about before too. He appeared on Jossy's giants iirc so is obviously a complete legend. RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

McFaul bought Goddard when we were in serious relegation trouble and he kept us up. Heard Darren Jackson praising him to the hilt the other day on Wraith's YouTube show. Was a good listen to be fair even if you discount friend of the krays, Steve. ;)

That season Goddard kept us up, was that where he broke (or maybe equalled) the then record for scoring in consecutive league games? Think it was Len White’s record. Seem to remember the dulcet tones of mackem-loving Charles Harrison going on about that at the time (might’ve been a subsequent season) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alex said:

That season Goddard kept us up, was that where he broke (or maybe equalled) the then record for scoring in consecutive league games? Think it was Len White’s record. Seem to remember the dulcet tones of mackem-loving Charles Harrison going on about that at the time (might’ve been a subsequent season) 

No, you're right, it was that relegation fight year - I think he equalled it and it was 7 games. 

 

The record was later broken by Sir Les in 95.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Alex said:

That season Goddard kept us up, was that where he broke (or maybe equalled) the then record for scoring in consecutive league games? Think it was Len White’s record. Seem to remember the dulcet tones of mackem-loving Charles Harrison going on about that at the time (might’ve been a subsequent season) 

Not sure of the season but pretty sure it was White's record. My mate went on a chartered plane to Southampton a few years ago organised by Harrison, said he was good crack and a bit of a character. Went from intentions of going to take the piss about his commentary skills back in the day to singing his praises by the time he got back. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of related but I remember being in the Broad Chare with Tooj a while back when Roger Thames came in with (presumably) his wife. He kept looking round as if to see if anyone had clocked him (Roger not Tooj). I found it quite funny as I would imagine most people didn’t and those that did wouldn’t give a fuck 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Alex said:

Kind of related but I remember being in the Broad Chare with Tooj a while back when Roger Thames came in with (presumably) his wife. He kept looking round as if to see if anyone had clocked him (Roger not Tooj). I found it quite funny as I would imagine most people didn’t and those that did wouldn’t give a fuck 

:lol:

Definitely not his wife.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

Definitely not his wife.  

:lol: she was quite smart like 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what I meant was he didn’t look worried. He looked like he was hoping someone would recognise him :lol: 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex said:

Kind of related but I remember being in the Broad Chare with Tooj a while back when Roger Thames came in with (presumably) his wife. He kept looking round as if to see if anyone had clocked him (Roger not Tooj). I found it quite funny as I would imagine most people didn’t and those that did wouldn’t give a fuck 

To be fair to De Courcey/nookie bear/Tames, I once saw him in fluid and he walked in with a camera and started asking questions to random NUFC fans. Now I'm not exactly an avid watcher of Tyne Tees or look north but thought he'd retired years ago. Anyway, I was full of blooter and grabbed a hold of him and said something along the lines of how he always had a massive hard on for Bernie Slaven and his commentary always said shit like 'The Holgate/Fulwell/Gallowgate absolutely erupts' whilst he was obviously in the studio editing it? He looked a bit uncomfortable to put it mildly and fucked off pretty sharpish. Anyway, maybe he was on the lookout for similar encounters? :lol:

 

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Never seen it :lol:

 

 

Aye, but do you remember it? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Recent tweets

Toontastic Facebook

Donate to Toontastic

Keeping the lights on since... well ages ago
TT-Staff


×