Rivals

The Fish

Actually I think the NE Top Dogs thing was created by Bob Murray when they came 7th twice with Reid as manager. Which is even more ridiculous given what had gone on before that.

Their season review DVD for the first 7th when they finished above us was called some variation of NETD iirc.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their season review DVD for the first 7th when they finished above us was called some variation of NETD iirc.

Aye, I thought it was from back then

Being top dog gives no pleasure if it's just the top shit team. I don't base my goals for the season on finishing above that lot. Finishing 3rd bottom and them finishing 2nd bottom would give me no comfort at all. And finishing 12th and them 13th means little more. I just want us to do well. But them doing poorly at the same time gives me even more pleasure.

Wonder what it must be like to be a fan of a club whose rivals traditionally finish higher in the league/do better in the cups.

In my life Newcastle have played in the the predominantly in the top flight, they've occasionally got into Champions League, UEFA Cup, cough\Intertoto/cough, got to a couple FA cup finals, even challenged for the title itself. We've had 1 relegation (two now) and some real mediocre seasons, but that's really as bad as it's got. We've also seen some top class players (some admittedly past their prime), broken world record fees, and had two outstanding managers. 22 seasons amongst the top 15 clubs in the country (7 in the top 5)

sunderland have had a couple of cup finals, a couple of 7th placed finishes, 6 relegations, 26/34 seasons in the bottom five (or lower), their best player was Kevin Phillips.

Is this why they use us as a barometer for their success/failure?

Wonder if the lurking mackems will bite or not...

Edited by The Fish

I might well laugh at Sunderland, take the piss etc, but I couldn't say they don't bother me. Course they fucking do! :lol:

My uncle was an OOTer from Northern Ireland. Didn't give a fuck about Sunderland but detested Man U which I suppose was understandable as they weren't on his radar nationally and he had no idea of the local feelings, had never been to a derby etc. I think you see something a bit similar on here from OOTers or longtime exiles. I'm not obsessed with them but could never say I wasn't bothered by them being above us.

Wonder what it must be like to be a fan of a club whose rivals traditionally finish higher in the league/do better in the cups.

In my life Newcastle have played in the the predominantly in the top flight, they've occasionally got into Champions League, UEFA Cup, cough\Intertoto/cough, got to a couple FA cup finals, even challenged for the title itself. We've had 1 relegation (two now) and some real mediocre seasons, but that's really as bad as it's got. We've also seen some top class players (some admittedly past their prime), broken world record fees, and had two outstanding managers. 22 seasons amongst the top 15 clubs in the country (7 in the top 5)

sunderland have had a couple of cup finals, a couple of 7th placed finishes, 6 relegations, 26/34 seasons in the bottom five (or lower), their best player was Kevin Phillips.

Is this why they use us as a barometer for their success/failure?

Wonder if the lurking mackems will bite or not...

We've had two previous relegations (at least)in your lifetime Fish.

Actually I think the NE Top Dogs thing was created by Bob Murray when they came 7th twice with Reid as manager. Which is even more ridiculous given what had gone on before that.

Learn something new everyday eh, they also all genuinely thought Kevin Phillips was a better player than Alan Shearer. Bunch of fucking winnets.

I think a long time ago I learned to simultaneously hate everybody in football, including Newcastle, whilst not getting that worked up about it anymore.

It might be the tablets.

Learn something new everyday eh, they also all genuinely thought Kevin Phillips was a better player than Alan Shearer. Bunch of fucking winnets.

Cole and Shearer both scored more in a season than Phillips but because the award didn't exist at the time or because some Albanian goat fucker scored more on some arbitrary accounting method, those two never won the European golden boot and therefore were never as good as Super Kev.

Cole and Shearer both scored more in a season than Phillips but because the award didn't exist at the time or because some Albanian goat fucker scored more on some arbitrary accounting method, those two never won the European golden boot and therefore were never as good as Super Kev.

'super Kev' the cringey fuckers! He handed in a transfer request FOUR times, couldn't wait to get away

I think a long time ago I learned to simultaneously hate everybody in football, including Newcastle, whilst not getting that worked up about it anymore.

It might be the tablets.

:lol: