New players

Kid Dynamite

Aye its not ideal paying 10m, Rafa has a tough choice to make as we've got to get out the division first time of asking

McCormack can play deeper as an attacking midfielder though, he's a decent passer of the ball too

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose if we don't go straight back up we'd be able to make use of him for another season in the championship. I agree about the Armstrong point. I'd like to see what he can do and if he's getting kept out by someone who's only ever going to be here in the championship it would be a bit of a waste.

Are there not better options for 10m...?

I've not followed him too closely though, if he was near the top scorers last year then maybe it makes sense. That said, would he fit the system we'd play?

Scored 23 goals last year in a struggling Fulham team and got in the championship team of the year

He was the difference between Fulham staying up or going down to League 1.

I certainly wouldn't be happy if promotion candidates like Norwich and Villa signed him

Looking at the list of top scorers in the championship last season there's not many that would excite you. I'd expect Mitro to score more than most of them with ease.

He can't finish his dinner so your expectations are slightly unrealistic IMO.

He can't finish his dinner so your expectations are slightly unrealistic IMO.

Hernandez managed for goals in the Premier league the season before last. Cameron Jerome managed 3 last season but scored 18 in his previous season in the championship. Darrel Murphy scores loads in the championship but managed 4 in 72 in the premier league. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest a 21 year old who managed 9 premier league goals in his first season, can score a lot in the championship.

Edit: And of course Shola scored 43 in 294 in the premier league (often playing in a good team) and managed his only season of double figures in the championship.

Edited by David Kelly

Hernandez managed for goals in the Premier league the season before last. Cameron Jerome managed 3 last season but scored 18 in his previous season in the championship. Darrel Murphy scores loads in the championship but managed 4 in 72 in the premier league. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest a 21 year old who managed 9 premier league goals in his first season, can score a lot in the championship.

Edit: And of course Shola scored 43 in 294 in the premier league (often playing in a good team) and managed his only season of double figures in the championship.

I know what you're saying but Mitrovic's finishing was shite last season, hence the reason we failed to stop up. He missed sitters in every game he played.

A drastic improvement is needed if he's to hit the heights you're suggesting (I hope he does mind).

I know what you're saying but Mitrovic's finishing was shite last season, hence the reason we failed to stop up. He missed sitters in every game he played.

A drastic improvement is needed if he's to hit the heights you're suggesting (I hope he does mind).

Saying he missed sitters in every game he played is more than a bit harsh imo. Yes he missed some decent chances but I can't think of many sitters he missed. SDJ missed a sitter against Villa. There's certainly no way we created sitters in 34 games last season. Next season I'm confident we will create a lot more good chances for him and I can't see any reason why he can't benefit from that.

Looks like he scored 6 goals for them since signing. Not been the success you would have expected. I've not seem much of him but from what I hear, if he doesn't score he does nothing else which is why he's never got the big move that was predicted.

Nope.

Also, Mitrovic scored more than any of our other strikers and contributed much more to the team than his colleagues. We went down because our defending was shit.

Have the critics of the forward been justified though? Mitrovic has scored eight goals this season - not exactly an impressive feat. However, seven of the top ten highest scoring strikers play for teams in the top half of the table, with only Jermain Defoe, Odion Ighalo and Gylfi Sigurdsson defying this pattern. Therefore, it seems harsh to judge the striker’s tally when he plies his trade for a team flirting with relegation.

The Serbian also hasn’t been given the aid of a stable place in the team. He has played the full 90 minutes of games only 13 times this season as the squad has been shuffled and changed in a desperate attempt to avoid the drop into the Championship.

One of his close rivals in the scoring charts is Troy Deeney, who has been involved for the full 90 minutes 31 times this season. It should be said that the Watford captain also has eight assists whereas Mitrovic has picked up just three.

Another thing to bear in mind is that Aleksandar Mitrovic is only 21-years-old. People seem to be forgetting he is still developing as a player and adjusting after his move to the Premier League.

A man who is going through the same transitional period is Anthony Martial. Martial himself is only 20-years-old and has netted eight times this term, but unlike Mitrovic, has the benefit of playing for one of the biggest clubs in England, Manchester United.

It could be argued that the Manchester club have only scored 40 goals, to Newcastle’s 35, but there is a certain higher expectation of players of at Old Trafford, especially ones with a price tag as large as £38.5 million.

There is also the fact that Martial has played 338 minutes more than the Serbian. Yet somehow Martial is considered one of the best youth talents in the world and Mitrovic is somewhat of a flop.

There have been other factors such as Steve McLaren’s lack of tactical clarity early in the campaign and the general lack of effort from the team. If Mitrovic stays in the top flight, there's a good chance he will surprise a lot of Premier League fans very quickly.

Looking at the list of top scorers in the championship last season there's not many that would excite you. I'd expect Mitro to score more than most of them with ease.

He'll get 15-20 at least imo with a good amount of starts. He scored 9 in the Prem in his first season aged 20-21, I'm tired of the 'but he isn't a great finisher' he almost got double figures in the Prem in the first season there with a team that got relegated and created next to fuck all. He got 1-2 chances in most games ffs.

If utter utter dross like Cameron Jerome can score over 20 in the Championship Mitro could, Jerome has managed something like 2 and 3 in his last 2 seasons in the Prem, Mitro got 9 in 22 starts and 12 sub appearances. .

Ross McCormack is a good player for that level but 10m is really steep, I'd be almost tempted with Mitro, Armstrong and Perez then spend elsewhere. Armstrong got 20 in the league below (a league which most of the league is closer to the level of than it is the Prem), and Mitro and Perez could both definitely get into double figures. I'd prefer to target Chris Martin from Derby if we were going to get a striker, he's 27 or so which means he at least has a fair few years ahead of him and he has scored 15-20 or so a season for 3 year.

I'd like to see us really target some defenders, the problem I think we have is the squad we have right now (with a couple of additions) could get back up but we need to add a bit more due to the volume of games, buy too much and you're lumbered with too much Championship fodder after you get promoted. I'd like to see us get a proven Championship scorer like Martin, then a couple of youngsters with potential (like Dunk from Brighton) and then maybe some older experienced players on 1-2 year deals.

I reckon we need another striker in tbf. I have faith in Mitro and Perez at championship level at least but Armstrong is still an unknown quantity.

I'd like to see an experienced player brought in I reckon we could probably do better looking for someone who might drop down rather than someone who's never made it.

If we assume Rafa is going to play 4-2-3-1 then I think we can easily stick with what we have up top. If ever there was a season not to buy an aging player that will stop younger players getting game time it must be this one.

We seem to have loads of central midfielders but I wouldn't rate any that highly and some are downright shite.

I have been to quite a few championship games this season with my Boro supporting mates, you need people who are aggressive and mobile in central midfield and defenders who are a stable 6/7 out of 10 each week, good in the air and like a battle.

The league is a lot more physical than the prem and the standard of refereeing is diabolical, players get no protection.

I imagine Cisse will leave

Perez will probably play out wide or as a no 10

Armstrong hasn't scored goals higher than league 1

And Mitrovic still has a lot to learn hot-headed and already missing the start of the season.

Mitrovic will get around 15-20 goals but we still need another striker imo

He'll get 15-20 at least imo with a good amount of starts. He scored 9 in the Prem in his first season aged 20-21, I'm tired of the 'but he isn't a great finisher' he almost got double figures in the Prem in the first season there with a team that got relegated and created next to fuck all. He got 1-2 chances in most games ffs.

If utter utter dross like Cameron Jerome can score over 20 in the Championship Mitro could, Jerome has managed something like 2 and 3 in his last 2 seasons in the Prem, Mitro got 9 in 22 starts and 12 sub appearances. .

Ross McCormack is a good player for that level but 10m is really steep, I'd be almost tempted with Mitro, Armstrong and Perez then spend elsewhere. Armstrong got 20 in the league below (a league which most of the league is closer to the level of than it is the Prem), and Mitro and Perez could both definitely get into double figures. I'd prefer to target Chris Martin from Derby if we were going to get a striker, he's 27 or so which means he at least has a fair few years ahead of him and he has scored 15-20 or so a season for 3 year.

I'd like to see us really target some defenders, the problem I think we have is the squad we have right now (with a couple of additions) could get back up but we need to add a bit more due to the volume of games, buy too much and you're lumbered with too much Championship fodder after you get promoted. I'd like to see us get a proven Championship scorer like Martin, then a couple of youngsters with potential (like Dunk from Brighton) and then maybe some older experienced players on 1-2 year deals.

:CT:

• 2 weeks later...

Fletcher released by the Mackems. Reckon he could do a job in the championship like, decent target man. We'll need another in that mould as Mitro will no doubt rack up a few suspensions (if he stays). Controversial I know but him on a free or McCormack who's the same age for £9M+...