J69's discarded soiled knicker sniffers vs Brentford

TheGingerQuiff

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like this system, with a number 10 / support striker or whatever you want to call it, is Rafa's preference and he's rotating players within this system. I'm happy to see that cos I always liked to see teams playing with a proper number 10. It looks like we haven't quite got the player to play that role at the moment - I don't really rate Perez, and Diame hasn't really convinced so far, but I'd like to think that if we do go up then Rafa will get a decent amount of cash to spend on a better player for that position. Someone top class there linking up with a consistently motivated and in form Shelvey, in front of a well organised defence, is something I'd really look forward to watching. I don't think Mitro fits into this system but he's good to have on the bench for when we need to go to a plan B and hoy 2 up front. 

Agreed, he knows what he wants but like you say he doesn't have a player to play the role and has no intention of buying one in the Championship. It looks like he's going to use this season to get everyone playing in that style and when we go up he can go and spunk 15m or so on a quality number 10 type. The team isn't firing on all cylinders imo and that is in large part to us not having perhaps the right players to play that system but as long as we go up I've no complaints and it will probably make for a smoother transition into what his long term vision for our set up is.

Agreed, he knows what he wants but like you say he doesn't have a player to play the role and has no intention of buying one in the Championship. It looks like he's going to use this season to get everyone playing in that style and when we go up he can go and spunk 15m or so on a quality number 10 type. The team isn't firing on all cylinders imo and that is in large part to us not having perhaps the right players to play that system but as long as we go up I've no complaints and it will probably make for a smoother transition into what his long term vision for our set up is.

In light of that, which I agree with, who do you think the players who will form the basis of that system will be? Ritchie and Shelvey look good bets, as does Hayden. Some of the others though, I reckon he's still toying with. But for the experiment to work, a decent number of the players have to be kept.

Amazingly, I think Gouffran will be seriously considered. Lascelles and Clark look to be the 1st choice CBs and Darlow hasn't looked bad at this level.

I mentioned it yesterday but he had a couple of dodgy moments against Brentford . Second half he managed to dribble the ball straight into one of their players 20 yards from goal, and a couple of times made ridiculous hoofs straight to their players on the half way line when there were 10 yard passes on for him. I dread to think what he will be like against decent opposition if we get promoted. Strikes me as Bramble esque, solid for 89mins with an absolute clanger in him at any point

He was outstanding against Villa and ok against Rotherham and Brentford which are the only games I've seem him play I think.  I feel Mbemba is a better player and a much better long term option. But Clark looks more than good enough at this level.

In light of that, which I agree with, who do you think the players who will form the basis of that system will be? Ritchie and Shelvey look good bets, as does Hayden. Some of the others though, I reckon he's still toying with. But for the experiment to work, a decent number of the players have to be kept.

I'd agree on Ritchie, Shelvey and Hayden. I think he's trying to get Gayle confidence as he clearly sees him as his main forward so while he may bring someone in I think Gayle will be heavily involved at least first season up. I think Defence will see the most changes, he basically brought in a load of relatively cheap signings at the back and is switching them round to see which ones work best. Of course, the number 10 role Dickie brought up will be an important buy in the first season up unless someone really makes a claim this season (which no one is doing really).

I think Gouffran will get time when we get promoted, at the very least he'd be used as an outlet to chase the ball late on in a game we're holding a lead. He's definitely building an argument so far this season and while I'm hesitant to think he's really a PL player stranger turnarounds have happened.