President Biden

Happy Face

1 minute ago, Renton said:

But we are where we are. This thread is about Biden, why are you blaming him for shit that has happened over decades. The danger of nuclear weapons is that they could be used as escalation from conventional warfare. In a conventional square go between Russia and the US, Russia would be annihilated and may feel their only option to save face is to use tactical nukes. 

I mean this thread is really a discussion about US politics IMO, it just changes name based on whoever is President. It was previously a Trump thread, no?

I don't think Russia would commit to their own actual annihilation over a loss of face in a ground war with the US that they know for sure they wouldn't win.

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Estonia apparently prepared to step up for Western values, even if Europe and the US won't:

We stand united with Ukraine. We will not walk away. We will continue to support you in every possible way.

I praise the Ukrainian leaders who, despite constant provocations, remain calm and express willingness to solve this conflict peacefully.

Russia must end the intolerable provocations and stop fuelling the conflict, which has been ongoing for eight years. Moscow should immediately and unconditionally withdraw its forces from Ukraine’s territory and its immediate vicinity.

We strongly condemn all military and hybrid actions against Ukraine. We regret that despite diplomatic efforts, there are no signs of willingness to de-escalate - quite the opposite, [with] the buildup of Russian forces continues, including in Belarus.

I align myself with everyone who wishes we had a way to secure peace through the force of diplomacy and dialogue.

Indeed, it is a decisive moment in European history. President Putin will answer to future generations for his violent actions. As European and western leaders, we also have the responsibility to step up to our values [and] our commitment to a Europe that is united and at peace. We regret every single life lost.

It is our duty to protect our common values and the democracy we all helped to build. A threat to Ukraine is a threat to the security of Europe.

The minimum we can do is to step up our practical support to Ukraine, which Estonia has done and will continue to do. In the EU, we will deliver on a massive package of sanctions and do so swiftly and decisively. But most importantly we must keep the door to EU and Nato open for Ukraine and we must have concrete next steps for further cooperation and integration.

We know you will continue to value democracy and remain on the path of reforms. Eventually we will welcome you as the member of the European Union - you belong in Europe.

We support Ukraine’s independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity. We remain fully committed to the policy of non-recognition of illegal annexation of Ukraine’s territories. Ukraine has a right to defend its borders and independence and we continue helping Ukraine to build its military capabilities to stand against the aggression.

I can't see what they're saying other nations, including the UK and US, have already said? 

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I mean this thread is really a discussion about US politics IMO, it just changes name based on whoever is President. It was previously a Trump thread, no?

I don't think Russia would commit to their own actual annihilation over a loss of face in a ground war with the US that they know for sure they wouldn't win.

But you've rightly described Putin as a psychopath. Its a serious risk imo. 

4 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I liked the Kenyan statement

That is indeed a great statement. The smaller nations, who know they have the most to lose from a collapse of international order, making themselves heard - this is why it is so important to stand up for these norms, so that countries like Kenya, Estonia and Ukraine have a voice and the ability to govern themselves.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

But you've rightly described Putin as a psychopath. Its a serious risk imo. 

Psychopath doesn't mean he has no sense of self preservation. We have psychopaths in office around the world, running businesses, at the top end of society in many places. They don't get there by making suicide plays just to spite people. They get there by preying on weakness and not giving a damn about anything other than their own objectives. None of Putin's objectives will be "get Russia nuked".

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I can't see what they're saying other nations, including the UK and US, have already said? 

They're saying they'll do anything possible to support, which at least reads as though it includes military support. At least it could be read that way. They 'regret every single life lost' which could also be read that way, and they want to integrate Ukraine into NATO and Europe, clearly stated. Have we done that?

Just now, Rayvin said:

Psychopath doesn't mean he has no sense of self preservation. We have psychopaths in office around the world, running businesses, at the top end of society in many places. They don't get there by making suicide plays just to spite people. They get there by preying on weakness and not giving a damn about anything other than their own objectives. None of Putin's objectives will be "get Russia nuked".

I agree but there's always a risk things can escalate out of control should NATO and Russia clash in direct conflict. So if I've got you right here, you wanted NATO to say to Russia, if you invade any more of their sovereign territory we'll respond militarily. You think that would have called Putin's bluff. I don't think it would have. I think it would lead to direct conflict, with unknowable but potentially catastrophic results. As Ukraine are not a NATO member, I'm not wanting to play those odds. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I agree but there's always a risk things can escalate out of control should NATO and Russia clash in direct conflict. So if I've got you right here, you wanted NATO to say to Russia, if you invade any more of their sovereign territory we'll respond militarily. You think that would have called Putin's bluff. I don't think it would have. I think it would lead to direct conflict, with unknowable but potentially catastrophic results. As Ukraine are not a NATO member, I'm not wanting to play those odds. 

Then I think we've come to some semblance of a position we can both appreciate. Ukraine is in Europe, trying to join NATO and the EU. It is a potential friend and ally, under threat from a historic oppressor. I would want us to defend them because I don't think someone as calculating as Putin actually has the balls for a proper head on fight with the US.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's not me making the decision either way - but there are consequences to our relative inaction here, and we'll be seeing them for years. I also think Biden's presidency will be defined by this to some extent.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Then I think we've come to some semblance of a position we can both appreciate. Ukraine is in Europe, trying to join NATO and the EU. It is a potential friend and ally, under threat from a historic oppressor. I would want us to defend them because I don't think someone as calculating as Putin actually has the balls for a proper head on fight with the US.

Maybe I'm wrong, it's not me making the decision either way - but there are consequences to our relative inaction here, and we'll be seeing them for years. I also think Biden's presidency will be defined by this to some extent.

Okay, I get you, agree with a lot but not all you've said. Problem with geopolitics is there is no control group, you can never be sure what the best action would have been, even in hindsight. Let's hope for a peaceful outcome for all our sakes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Absolutely agree with this. De-escalation would be the best outcome by far and away.

Okay, I'm officially de-escalting this discussion. ;)  Don't make me disagree with you any more, Rayvin. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Renton said:

Okay, I'm officially de-escalting this discussion. ;)  Don't make me disagree with you any more, Rayvin. 

Always a pleasure to debate with you, my friend ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Powder puff shite from the completely compromised  Johnson, who has enabled the son of a retired KGB colonel*

*NB those cunts never retire  :cuppa:

No surprise when a quarter of the cabinet have openly taken Russian cash.

• Like 2

That list of fuckin traitors in full. I'm looking chiefly at sinister pound shop poppinjay/chancellor of the exchequer Rishi fuckin Sunak, whose father in law is in the top five of the richest human beings in history... what a fuckin cunt....

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-report-donors-boris-johnson-conservative-party-2020-7

• Like 1

On the face of it theres no consequences,  so to justify it they probably lied to themselves that there really aren't any, until today.....when there still aren't any, the leader of the opposition mentions it but not them personally. That's just not cricket old boy what what, tally ho, tea and biscuits jumped up useless fuckin talking shop cunts etc etc  :huh:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

These two territories have been under Russian control since 2014 anyway.

Not so sadly, of the area now stated by Putin as "independent" only one third has been subject to Russian separatism, the rest is under current Ukrainian control/sovereignty.

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Isn't it China with Labour?   The old Bazza Gardner 500K? 🤔

why anyone would want to give that useless cunt any money is another matter 

• Haha 1