2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think if you include online readership, the Sun is eclipsed by the Mail. Although that might be on an international scale, rather than the UK. It's supposedly the most viewed news site in the world.

Especially the right hand column. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I dunno. I accept you have to view results in their most positive light, but you have to face reality sometimes. He's always struck me as having his head in the sand. Also I really doubt his desire to be PM over being a principled opposition leader.

So many people to blame. Farage, Cameron, Dacre, May, Johnson, Gove, Davis, Miliband and yes, Corbyn. What really matters is where we've arrived. A UK I would have not recognised when I first started posting here. 

Agree on the whole, especially with the second bit. I think there were a lack of alternatives as leader though and, in particular, a lack of those who would be able to present the electorate with a geniune choice (as opposed to more of the same shit but not quite as bad).

• Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

Agree on the whole, especially with the second bit. I think there were a lack of alternatives as leader though and, in particular, a lack of those who would be able to present the electorate with a geniune choice (as opposed to more of the same shit but not quite as bad).

Yep.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Especially the right hand column. 

That column is shameless :lol:

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

No one reads it for the politics though, they read it to see which celebrity has made an AMAZING transformation!

I suspect it all filters through though. The headlines and such.

Just now, Renton said:

Which is more depressing, the DM influencing it's readership or the DM reflecting the views of it's readership?

:suicide:

I think about this a lot actually, largely because I actually do pay attention to what Gloom says (whether he believes it or not).

I think if it's the latter, it's more depressing than the former. If it's the former you can still have some basic belief in human decency, just that people are weak willed and easily scared. The latter is... well it would mean we're in a hopeless position.

18 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Doubt it. I mean, maybe you're right, but I genuinely don't think there were that many votes riding on nuclear deterrents and the like. I suspect the IRA, terrorism, anti-monarchy stuff has probably had a bigger impact, and by the time he was leader there was nothing he could do about those.

He could have done plenty man. For example, he was asked simply to condem the IRA, a straightforward question that could have put a lot of it to he'd and he couldn't bring himself to do it. Ditto on many of the other issues you mention 

26 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

As an aside, and not because I think or even hold any hope that this might happen, but imagine if CT was right about this :lol:

He could forever more claim to be the barometer for the nation's mood.

Well I have voted for the winning side in the last 3 elections/referendums.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

He could have done plenty man. For example, he was asked simply to condem the IRA, a straightforward question that could have put a lot of it to he'd and he couldn't bring himself to do it. Ditto on many of the other issues you mention 

See, this is the problem. Corbyn did condemn the IRA but did it in such a way that even a leftie like you didn't pick up on it.

Edit: Though it's the media's fault for misrepresenting him as much as anything.

Edited by ewerk

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Hed have just just been nailed for going against his principles by the mail and sun though. You seem to be suggesting that his principles should've been up for grabs just for the sake of power. Which wouldn't have marked him out as different to any other fucker. His greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He didn't condemn the IRA out of hand, he condemned all acts if political violence. Easy for the twats in the press to spin as being pro terrorist. Any reports that he also sat down with loyalist paramilitaries in the 80s too? Nah. That was acceptable terrorism, to walk into country pubs in the 90s and machine gun everyone to death. 

Plainly the the wrong man then. You've just got to be a power mad unprincipled charlatan to get the top job. It's pretty much how may has played the last 12 months from being a remainer to being hell bent on getting nothing from Brexit with her empty "am dead ard me like" rhetoric. It's what the country want, they don't want a fairly misguided but fairly decent bean eater to bring a different approach now they've seemingly all been manipulated into thinking Brexit is the cure all for this country's various social ailments. By fuck are they in for a shock 2019-20...

Again, that's incorrect. He literally condemned IRA murder unequivocally. 

Q: Should the IRA’s acts of murder be condemned unequivocally?

A: Yes.

Q: Were the IRA terrorists?

A: Yes. The IRA clearly committed acts of terrorism.

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Hed have just just been nailed for going against his principles by the mail and sun though. You seem to be suggesting that his principles should've been up for grabs just for the sake of power. Which wouldn't have marked him out as different to any other fucker. His greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He didn't condemn the IRA out of hand, he condemned all acts if political violence. Easy for the twats in the press to spin as being pro terrorist. Any reports that he also sat down with loyalist paramilitaries in the 80s too? Nah. That was acceptable terrorism, to walk into country pubs in the 90s and machine gun everyone to death. 

Plainly the the wrong man then. You've just got to be a power mad unprincipled charlatan to get the top job. It's pretty much how may has played the last 12 months from being a remainer to being hell bent on getting nothing from Brexit with her empty "am dead ard me like" rhetoric. It's what the country want, they don't want a fairly misguided but fairly decent bean eater to bring a different approach now they've seemingly all been manipulated into thinking Brexit is the cure all for this country's various social ailments. By fuck are they in for a shock 2019-20...

Tbf I don't think most the country are enthusiastic about either of them. Putting politics aside, they're both hopeless leaders. Everyone I know is voting Corbyn with huge reservations. I think his political past his pretty shambolic, he's said some dodgy things and gives the impression of being a massive contrarian. How do you justify his EU stance for instance?

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I justify his opinions on the EU by thinking about the fact the Tories are going to cut off our public services bit by bit, send kids to school starving and let people die on hospital wards and voting justly.

So you'd vote against May rather than for Corbyn? That's my stance.

4 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

At least it's been pissing down.  Hopefully the racist old fuckers that want to pay for dementia care and lose their heating allowance will stop in.

Ageist fucker. Anyway it means the feckless students won't get out from under their duvets in time. 

Just now, Renton said:

Ageist fucker. Anyway it means the feckless students won't get out from under their duvets in time. 

Students are out in force supposedly.