Psychology

Rayvin

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

of course no one wants to work for the man but if you like drinking wine and buying clothes and eating out, it's a necessity - unless you're in the 1% who are lucky or talented enough to make it, or you have wealthy parents who finance a lifestyle, we all have to do it.  the secret is trying to find a job you don't hate which pays enough so you can endure it. 

a good friend of mine has spent his entire adult life studying and working creatively. he has two degrees, a PHD, about 6 A-levels and has put on the odd art installation and cut some drum n bass tunes. He says he couldn't imagine doing something he didn't love. i'm sure he'd come around to the idea if he didn't have a trust fund to live off. 

Tempted to argue this is Wolfy's point - you do what you need to survive, and as the need to survive diminishes, you become more free to pursue other things.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

:lol:

he had two tunes pressed. i don't think the royalties would pay the mortgage (if he had one).  nor would the money made from his various art installations.

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he had two tunes pressed. i don't think the royalties would pay the mortgage (if he had one).  nor would the money made from his various art installations.

I was chuckling at the phrase "cut some tunes" more than anything. It might be correct, but it just tickled me. Would have been the same for "dropped some beats", or "played a hot jam".

Edited by The Fish

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

of course no one wants to work for the man but if you like drinking wine and buying clothes and eating out, it's a necessity - unless you're in the 1% who are lucky or talented enough to make it, or you have wealthy parents who finance a lifestyle, we all have to do it.  the secret is trying to find a job you don't hate which pays enough so you can endure it. 

a good friend of mine has spent his entire adult life studying and working creatively. he has two degrees, a PHD, about 6 A-levels and has put on the odd art installation and cut some drum n bass tunes. He says he couldn't imagine doing something he didn't love. i'm sure he'd come around to the idea if he didn't have a trust fund to live off. 

I don't know, I'm dole scum baby and I've spent most of my working life doing what I want to be doing.

I guess I'm lucky to have a passion that's marketable (problem-solving and risk-taking).  Basically I like jigsaws and the odd danger wank.

25 minutes ago, adios said:

I don't know, I'm dole scum baby and I've spent most of my working life doing what I want to be doing.

I guess I'm lucky to have a passion that's marketable (problem-solving and risk-taking).  Basically I like jigsaws and the odd danger wank.

You a professional extreme sudoku-er?

2 minutes ago, adios said:

Not far off actually. :lol: 

I might just say that in future.

Something financey... I'm going to go with.... Actuary?

Edited by The Fish

1 minute ago, adios said:

I did half-think you were joking.

Nah, your job was, until now, a total mystery to me and I guarantee if the topic comes up again in a few months I'll not remember what it is then either.

Nothing special about you, I'm just not very good at remembering stuff about other people's lives.