Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Saboteur

Hitchcocks WW2 cautionary tale of protecting the American way. Very pertinent to the current climate when innocent individuals are detained beyond a reasonable time. Despite the incredibly wooden performance of Robert Cummings I also enjoyed it as a thriller. The Cinema scene looked lush. I can see why it's not one of his more popular films, but it's still a cut above most.

Edited by Happy Face

Oldboy.  It was very good.  A reprieve for alex and the rest who made me watch it.

172375[/snapback]

No moaning about the subs?

i could reccommend a few more asian films if you want?

172376[/snapback]

Nah, I only really can't be arsed with subtitles if I'm tired. Aye go ahead with the recommendations, I'm not mad sold on Asian cinema or anything, but I'm always looking for stuff to rent. No honk kong phooey, hoo-flung-dung stuff mind. I'm not interested in 10 minute fight scenes. :unsure:

Oldboy.  It was very good.  A reprieve for alex and the rest who made me watch it.

172375[/snapback]

172376[/snapback]

Nah, I only really can't be arsed with subtitles if I'm tired. Aye go ahead with the recommendations, I'm not mad sold on Asian cinema or anything, but I'm always looking for stuff to rent. No honk kong phooey, hoo-flung-dung stuff mind. I'm not interested in 10 minute fight scenes. :unsure:

172400[/snapback]

'In The Mood For Love' is pure class.

Yeah I've got it on DVD. Its a good show and works like an early draft of NBNW but without any actors of that have the carisma of Grant (mind you I don't think there are any), Saint or Mason.

Definitely not one of Hitch's best but still a cut above most.

I picked up Mr & Mrs Smith and Topaz in the HMV sale the other week but I haven't had a chance to watch them yet.

As it's been a while since I raved about it, and it only came out on dvd yesterday, I thought I'd bump this post and implore you all to get hold of it.

I really hope it becomes the next Shawshank (Box-Office flop to rental classic) because it's just as worthy.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

Fan-bloody-tastic.  Even though it's won a shitload of awards and is probably the best film of last year, still it gets very limited coverage because it wasn't nominated for any oscars.

Set on the Texas/Mexico border, Tommy Lee Jones is a farmer.  When one of his illegal immigrant workers gets unintentionally killed by a border patrol no-one is willing to do anything about it.  Jones gets justice his own way on behalf of Melquiades. 

Cross Unforgiven with Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia and you get something approximating the tone of this film.  The fact that Tommy Lee Jones is a better actor than Clint Eastwood and a better director than Sam Pekinpah elevates it above both.

145262[/snapback]

As it's been a while since I raved about it, and it only came out on dvd yesterday, I thought I'd bump this post and implore you all to get hold of it.

I really hope it becomes the next Shawshank (Box-Office flop to rental classic) because it's just as worthy.

Fan-bloody-tastic.  Even though it's won a shitload of awards and is probably the best film of last year, still it gets very limited coverage because it wasn't nominated for any oscars.

Set on the Texas/Mexico border, Tommy Lee Jones is a farmer.  When one of his illegal immigrant workers gets unintentionally killed by a border patrol no-one is willing to do anything about it.  Jones gets justice his own way on behalf of Melquiades. 

Cross Unforgiven with Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia and you get something approximating the tone of this film.  The fact that Tommy Lee Jones is a better actor than Clint Eastwood and a better director than Sam Pekinpah elevates it above both.

145262[/snapback]

172420[/snapback]

In my Amazon list from the 1st time you recommended it and it got a class review in the Sunday Times too. It better be good mind :unsure:

145262[/snapback]

172420[/snapback]

Pady day on Wednesday, i'll give it a whirl. :unsure:

172375[/snapback]

172376[/snapback]

172400[/snapback]

172401[/snapback]

Zatoichi

172375[/snapback]

172376[/snapback]

172400[/snapback]

172401[/snapback]

Zatoichi

172450[/snapback]

Bless you.

You're gonna buy it to watch? :unsure:

172443[/snapback]

I often do that, but I hate the idea of someone doing it on my recommendation.

172444[/snapback]

I did it when I was younger (16 or so) with things like Taxi Driver and that, but I don't tend to buy DVDs these days - overpriced and I've learnt that I rarely watch them more than once. I certainly wouldn't buy one based on your recommendation. :blush:

Just got: Pulp Fiction (Special Edition), Scarface (Special Edition), One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Goodfellas and Lock Stock (Special Edition) for 27 Sheets on Play.com.. Fuckin great value, you pay upto 20 quid for them 2 disc special editions in the shops like!

you pay upto 20 quid for them 2 disc special editions in the shops like!

172461[/snapback]

Only if you're a mug, and only if the shop is WH Smiths.

172469[/snapback]

Well, i shoudlve rephrased that to 'some shops'. Still though, 27 quid for 5 cracking films is canny!