Newcastle prepare for unhappy Jenas..

Scottish Mag

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I speak for Rob W aswell if I say that £20m at todays prices when we're massively overstocked in midfield makes sense, but JJ could have been a top class central midfielder if he'd had the right management/self discipline.

I want out of goldfish bowl Aug 5 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Graeme Souness admitted today that Jermaine Jenas wants to leave St James' Park - because he feels he is living in a goldfish bowl on Tyneside.

The situation with Jenas has been simmering for some time now although Souness insisted in the Chronicle last night that he had no row with the player.

But my feeling is that United are resigned to losing the England international - because he wants to leave.

Neither chairman Freddy Shepherd nor Souness want Jenas to go, but the player is clearly unhappy on Tyneside and my feeling is that they will have little alternative but to cash in on him.

Souness has talked about wanting £20m for Jenas and while this may be a bit ambitious, United will be looking to nearly treble the £5m they paid Nottingham Forest for the midfielder in February 2002.

However, United stressed today that Jenas has not asked for a transfer and that there are no current bids for him.

Souness maintained that there has been no row with Jenas after the 22-year-old midfielder was named in the United squad for the Intertoto Cup semi-final with Deportivo La Coruna - but was then conspicuous by his absence.

And in an exclusive interview with the Chronicle today, Souness said: "I have spoken to the player's agent and he tells me that JJ is quite happy with things at the football club.

"But he says JJ feels that it is like living in a goldfish bowl being a United player in Newcastle and that's the biggest problem."

There was a report today that Jenas could be off to Tottenham in a £10m move, but it would not surprise me in the least if he ended up at Highbury instead.

The Chronicle revealed on June 25 that Spurs wanted Jenas and that they were prepared to let striker Robbie Keane come in the opposite direction.

But Souness added: "Robbie Keane is not the kind of striker I am looking for at the moment."

On the other hand, United would probably be prepared to talk to Middlesbrough about a package involving Jenas and striker Mark Viduka.

But the feeling at St James' Park is that Jenas's head has been turned by the bright lights of London and that's where he will eventually end up.

My money would be on Highbury - where United just happen to open their Premiership cam-paign in just nine days time.

Looking at the bigger picture Souness adds: "I don't want Jenas to leave because I would like see him as an important part of our midfield for years to come.

"He's 22 while Scott Parker and Emre are only two years older.

"They could spend years together in our midfield and have a great understanding both on and off the field."

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

I'm quite suprised that throughout all of the Jenas -> Arsenal linkage (yes, it is a word), there's been no denial/comment from the player.

Add to that the rumours of Souness falling out with another player (Jenas), and I'd say that he's as good as gone.

7757[/snapback]

To be fair though, Jenas seemed to be a little charva playboy who couldn't give a fuck when Robson was here.

7758[/snapback]

And that little tirade is based on what evidence?

It strikes me he is a model professional compared to the likes of Dyer.

I'm quite suprised that throughout all of the Jenas -> Arsenal linkage (yes, it is a word), there's been no denial/comment from the player.

Add to that the rumours of Souness falling out with another player (Jenas), and I'd say that he's as good as gone.

7757[/snapback]

To be fair though, Jenas seemed to be a little charva playboy who couldn't give a fuck when Robson was here.

7758[/snapback]

7897[/snapback]

Not like you to be contrary. I know someone who sponsored his shirt one year and consequently spent some time with him and was less than impressed with his attitude and behaviour, also heard tales about him around town from people who've seen him out. Obviously you know different though ;)

7757[/snapback]

7758[/snapback]

7897[/snapback]

Not like you to be contrary. I know someone who sponsored his shirt one year and consequently spent some time with him and was less than impressed with his attitude and behaviour, also heard tales about him around town from people who've seen him out. Obviously you know different though ;)

7904[/snapback]

No, I don't, I was just genuinely surprised, that's all, and he seems to have largely escaped the newspapers compared to some. Doesn't surprise me really, he is one of the bling bling crew.

7757[/snapback]

7758[/snapback]

7897[/snapback]

7904[/snapback]

No, I don't, I was just genuinely surprised, that's all, and he seems to have largely escaped the newspapers compared to some. Doesn't surprise me really, he is one of the bling bling crew.

7918[/snapback]

Really, based on what evidence? B)

I think I speak for Rob W aswell if I say that £20m at todays prices when we're massively overstocked in midfield makes sense, but JJ could have been a top class central midfielder if he'd had the right management/self discipline.

7869[/snapback]

Indeed you may speak for me Mr Fish

now if you'll also pay of my credit card bill aswell..............

7757[/snapback]

7758[/snapback]

7897[/snapback]

Not like you to be contrary. I know someone who sponsored his shirt one year and consequently spent some time with him and was less than impressed with his attitude and behaviour, also heard tales about him around town from people who've seen him out. Obviously you know different though B)

7904[/snapback]

7918[/snapback]

Really, based on what evidence? :second:

7920[/snapback]

His jewellery? ;)

7869[/snapback]

Indeed you may speak for me Mr Fish

now if you'll also pay of my credit card bill aswell..............

7923[/snapback]

I'll pay your bills if you sort out a greencard, a Cadillac and a digital camera.....

I'm a man with a plan ;)

7757[/snapback]

7758[/snapback]

7897[/snapback]

Not like you to be contrary. I know someone who sponsored his shirt one year and consequently spent some time with him and was less than impressed with his attitude and behaviour, also heard tales about him around town from people who've seen him out. Obviously you know different though B)

7904[/snapback]

7918[/snapback]

Really, based on what evidence? :second:

7920[/snapback]

His jewellery? ;)

7926[/snapback]

Is that a whoosh I hear?

7757[/snapback]

7758[/snapback]

7897[/snapback]

Not like you to be contrary. I know someone who sponsored his shirt one year and consequently spent some time with him and was less than impressed with his attitude and behaviour, also heard tales about him around town from people who've seen him out. Obviously you know different though :second:

7904[/snapback]

7918[/snapback]

Really, based on what evidence? ;)

7920[/snapback]

His jewellery? ;)

7926[/snapback]

Is that a whoosh I hear?

7935[/snapback]

You tell me, no whooshes from where I'm sitting. B)

reckon we should sell to get more funds for a new forward ...i dont really rate jenas mayself , but it makes you wonder with man u and arse wanting him.

7957[/snapback]

I've made it a personal policy not to comment too much on a player's worth since Crouch went to Liverpool.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was pleased with his side's showing against Chelsea, but refused to rule out a move for unsettled Newcastle star Jermaine Jenas.

Jenas has been linked with Arsenal after telling The Magpies that he is unhappy at the club, and Wenger suggested that they would consider a bid when asked if he was keeping an eye on the situation.

"We keep an eye on the whole world," smiled the Gunners boss.

"We will make a decision when we need to, but in the meantime we should focus on our own players.

"I like Jenas but I'm not intent on any player at the moment.

"When I listened to the statement of [Graeme] Souness two or three weeks ago it was quite discouraging.

"He spoke in the region of £20million - in which case we live in a crazy world and we are not interested at that price."

Arsenal competed well with Chelsea, but were beaten 2-1 despite a goal from Cesc Fabregas, but their manager believes that last year's overconfidence has now gone and his side will be better for it.

"I think it was a competitive game and we competed physically," Wenger told Sky Sports.

"Overall I'm happy with the quality and we should show tenacity because we have a lot of quality in our team.

"We are still not sharp enough but that will come."

Following the sale of Patrick Vieira, Wenger has insisted that his young players can fill the gulf.

"We have lost many great players in the past but life goes on and you look at what is in front of you.

"The future is bright and most important thing is to focus on this.

"Our younger players, like Fabregas and van Persie were 17 and 20 last year - and now our young players are getting older and making us better."

Surprisingly, Wenger confessed that he felt overconfidence may have played a role in last season's failure to retain their championship.

"I think at times we were too confident, and maybe that let things become too easy," added Wenger.

"But this year we will be on our toes and ready for the season."

reckon we should sell to get more funds for a new forward ...i dont really rate jenas mayself , but it makes you wonder with man u and arse wanting him.

7957[/snapback]

Even Wenger and Taggart get it wrong, you don't really want examples like Pennant and Kleberson do you?

Managers just like fans seemed to get sucked into the hype and the false belief that certain players have the talent but they are just missing that little extra that can be coached into them - well JJ's hype really does flatter to deceive but that won't stop him being a fringe England squad player or featured in magazines like 4-4-2 as the next big thing.

Very interesting thread pulled from the SMB. Taken from another NUFC board (not sure which one) which claimed that JJ wants to move because his lifestyle is more suited to London. Like Ambrose. You get me.

Probably bullsheet.

By the way, NUFC.com were spot on having a go at Dyer for saying the fans need to leave JJ alone. I think we've had the patience of a St with him.

Very interesting thread pulled from the SMB. Taken from another NUFC board (not sure which one) which claimed that JJ wants to move because his lifestyle is more suited to London. Like Ambrose. You get me.

Probably bullsheet.

By the way, NUFC.com were spot on having a go at Dyer for saying the fans need to leave JJ alone. I think we've had the patience of a St with him.

9209[/snapback]

I read that and I agree 100%. JJ has failed to live up to his reputation for the last couple of seasons and the fans never seemed to have had a go at him. Personally I think this 'goldfish bowl' rubbish is just an excuse.

I read that and I agree 100%. JJ has failed to live up to his reputation for the last couple of seasons and the fans never seemed to have had a go at him. Personally I think this 'goldfish bowl' rubbish is just an excuse.

9213[/snapback]

If London is where he wants to live with his homies :drinks: then I don't have a problem with that. However, trying to say it's the fans fault he;s unhappy when he's been given little to no shit stinks of fishing for excuses. I'd have more respect for him if he just said he liked London better than Newcastle.

If he wants to live in Laaaaaaardan because he dont like the "Goldfish Bowl" of the Toon then he dont know whats gonna hit him down there!

9664[/snapback]

Erm, I think it's easier to have a quiet night out in Laahnden clubs than at the Quayside, though...