Steve Bruce’s current shite V Steve Bruce’s previous shite but in claret and blue

sammynb

11 minutes ago, Howay said:

Manquillo is absolutely shite tbf, so is Krafth. It’s a shame we didn’t have a bloke who, while not much good himself was better than both of them. 

Remind me who that was again? :lol:

54 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Both shit but yidders at least had some pace about him 

Aye this tbh. Krafth is the absolute worst of the three, I genuinely think he’s among the worst footballers we’ve had at the club in the PL era, as Quiff says the other two are both shite but I just think Yedlins pace means he had a bit more use than Manquillo who similarly to Yedlin would constantly lose his man but didn’t have the pace to catch up. 

Edited by Howay

9 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye this tbh. Krafth is the absolute worst of the three, I genuinely think he’s among the worst footballers we’ve had at the club in the PL era, as Quiff says the other two are both shite but I just think Yedlins pace means he had a bit more use than Manquillo who similarly to Yedlin would constantly lose his man but didn’t have the pace to catch up. 

Manquillo isn't that slow, Yedlin is just very quick compared to most. The major problem with Yedlin is that he has more than enough pace to get into attacking positions, but has close to zero quality once he gets there. Manquillo by comparison is fucking Cafu, and Manquillo is only slightly above average in the attacking third. Yedlin literally needed to find himself in the penalty area with an easy couple of metres pass to set up an opportunity. And Manquillo is also decent in defence, and by far the most reliable out of the three in terms of not making unforced errors. He did go through a long period of poor form when he first came to the club under Benitez, but in fairness he was playing out of position at left back, and he's more than proven himself since then in terms of the levels he can get to.

So which is it? Are you pointlessly pretending I seriously compared him to Cafu, or perhaps your comprehension is just that bad, or are you criticising me for saying he was above average in the attacking third, for a full back obviously. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

For a fullback, obviously 

😂 The truth is that the vast majoirty of Yedlin's goals and assists came in the championship and the MLS, while Manquillo has for the vast majority of his career played at the top level in Spain, France and England, so a crucial bit of context missing there. Mate you clearly know fuck all about football if you think Ritchie and Yedlin are worth any time defending. If you actually watch the games and know a bit about football it's clear that Manquillo is our best all round full back with Dummett having him beat pretty handily on the defensive end of things. The best full backs from an attacking sense, as in ranging from good to world class, in the premier are Bellerin, Tierney, Targett, Lamptey, Chilwell, James, Alonso, van Aanholt, Digne, Justin, Pereria, Castagne, Robertson, Alexander Arnold, Cancelo, Walker, Shaw, Reguilon, Doherty but he's out of form, Cresswell, and Coufal. Manquillo is out of their range being only slightly above average as I said, but he's not down the bottom with the likes of Lowton from Burnley, and our very own Krafth and Lewis.

Even premier league only Yedlin's stats are ahead having played just 8 more games than him. But again let's not get bogged down with facts :lol: cafu :lol:

Manquillo's one career goal and 3 of his assists came when he was playing right midfield as well, for more context

Poor Jamal Lewis. Only 23 and has 4 career goals and 6 assists and you've put him below manquillo in the attacking third, who at 26 has 0 career goals and 8 assists from fullback.

You spenk

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

3 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Poor Lewis. Only 23 and has 4 career goals and 6 assists from fullback and you've put him below manquillo in the attacking third, who at 26 has 0 career goals and 8 assists from fullback 

🤣 Manquillo never had the honour of playing in the Championship, the FA youth cup, and the Under 21 premier league where most of those stats come from for Lewis. And Yedlin has a little over twenty games ahead of Manquillo in terms of minutes on the pitch. Raw appearance numbers can be deceiving. And you also have to take into account the fact that he was played out of position at left back for about a season under Benitez because we didn't and still don't really have one, at least one that can both attack and defend. I'm pretty sure you don't actually watch football, but as low as the bar is set Manquillo can actually cross a ball and has a bit of a footballers brain, whereas Yedlin clearly has neither of those things. His only asset is his speed, which is why he did relatively well in the championship.

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Oh and you didn't mind Murphy's achievements last season being at a lower level when you were bigging him up. Just when it suits your shit know-nothing argument.

😂 Again we're talking about degrees, but of course subtly is entirely lost on you. Murphy scored 9 goals and made 6 assists for a poor Sheffield Wednesday side in in one season, so I argued that brought him above the level of shit, which you were describing him as, along with what he's shown this term and the other night. That Murphy was comparative quality when he came on the other night is a majority opinion in the fanbase on social media. You are clearly in the minority. The best Lewis ever did for a strong championship side in Norwich in a season was four assists.

4 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

You saying he can cross a ball when he averages 1 assist per season, doesn't make it true. The stats are there for you. 1 assist per season is below average, not average or "above average". Tit

Edwards has lost the rag again 🤣

2 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

But what has Manquillo done in the final third to put him above average or to justify calling him Cafu in comparison to Yedlin in that area :lol: apart from scoring 0 goals and having half the assists

Are you actually Mr literal lacking comprehension skills, or are you just desperately trying to construct an argument around me clearly using hyperbole to emphasise how shite I thought Yedlin was in the attacking third. I literally call Manquillo only slightly above average in the very next sentence. And Manquillo has scored in the premier for the mackems, whereas Yedlin has scored twice with over twenty games more and playing in his favoured position for that entire time. We're not comparing top level players here clearly in terms of the premier league, just like when we were comparing Murphy and Ritchie it's the difference between a shit sandwich, and a sandwich only smeared in shit. The fact remains though that if you've actually been watching our games over the last few seasons Manquillo, when in form and position, isn't the headless chicken that Yedlin was when he found himself in the attacking third.

Manquillo is a better footballer no doubt, but that said there is no susbstitute for pace.

If I was picking between the two of them fully fit in the current team (if Yedlin was still here) it'd be Manquillo every time. It's not that I think he's particularly good, but he's easily the superior defender of the two even considering Yedlin's pace and the benefit that gives to defending counter attacks.

Seriously though, the level of players we're forced to have conversations about is a disgrace. We'd be better off having a thinner squad of better players (and actually giving some kids a chance) than the middling lot we have.

• Like 3