Scabs vs Eddie’s Weetabix Haired Scargill Supporters.

Monkeys Fist

10 hours ago, sammynb said:

I was thinking about this, if Bruno goes for 100+, is it worth spending 50 odd for Gibbs-White, obviously not as good but plays a similar game from the 6 position.

more of a number 10 

Just seen the extended highlights. Burn got done for pace twice (again). It's fucking lunacy lining him up against pacy wingers week after week when we have Tino on the bench. Burn is getting targeted now and Howe is showing flawed judgement refusing to react to it imo. 

Bruno's first goal was mint. If KDB scores that we would be hearing about it for a fortnight 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Just seen the extended highlights. Burn got done for pace twice (again). It's fucking lunacy lining him up against pacy wingers week after week when we have Tino on the bench. Burn is getting targeted now and Howe is showing flawed judgement refusing to react to it imo. 

Bruno's first goal was mint. If KDB scores that we would be hearing about it for a fortnight 

I think the point about not changing things is further driven home by our not really looking troubled after Howe made the change to a back 3. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I can tell you why Burn starts, it’s because no fucker lets 10k whingeing unqualified big girls blouses tell them how to do their job. Oh and Tino covers four positions from the bench. You don’t have to agree, but this is the reality of the issue, Tino’s adaptability is why he’s not starting . Howe was criticised for being too loyal to certain players at Bournemouth and it’s showing here too. I can just about put up

with it because I can see Howe is performing a balancing act, what he’s losing on the swings he must feel that he’s gaining on the roundabouts… 

• Like 8

The first goal the midfield were nowhere, ball was inside Burn the fullback, CH is the one who should cover when that happens. One on one Elanga’s gonna do just about anyone tbh.

But I guess we’ve gotta have a target to piss and moan about.

We won btw. 4th away win on the bounce. You’d think we were bottom of the table the way some are going on 🙄

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

The first goal the midfield were nowhere, ball was inside Burn the fullback, CH is the one who should cover when that happens. One on one Elanga’s gonna do just about anyone tbh.

But I guess we’ve gotta have a target to piss and moan about.

We won btw. 4th away win on the bounce. You’d think we were bottom of the table the way some are going on 🙄

No! Football has to be perfect! It has to be 1 + 2 = 3. It’s not played and coached by human beings with all their idiosyncrasies, foibles and habits, it’s done by robots who should do exactly what you  program them to do and you’ll get perfect results 🤓

PS Livramento started at left back for the 4-1 defeat at Spurs and the 3-1 defeat at Everton. Can someone please explain why we got beat in these games with the player who people are claiming to be the key to unlocking footballing glory beyond our wildest dreams ACTUALLY STARTING THE GAMES??!! 🤯

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

what he’s losing on the swings he must feel that he’s gaining on the roundabouts… 

That's Howe's argument. But unless Burn has directly created 4 goals for us in the last few games then it doesn't weigh up (cos that's how many he's directly cost us) 

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

No! Football has to be perfect! It has to be 1 + 2 = 3. It’s not played and coached by human beings with all their idiosyncrasies, foibles and habits, it’s done by robots who should do exactly what you  program them to do and you’ll get perfect results 🤓

PS Livramento started at left back for the 4-1 defeat at Spurs and the 3-1 defeat at Everton. Can someone please explain why we got beat in these games with the player who people are claiming to be the key to unlocking footballing glory beyond our wildest dreams ACTUALLY STARTING THE GAMES??!! 🤯

do you think Burn is a natural left back? Does he look comfortable against pace? 

I like burn. He was great at CB when he first joined. He can slot in on the left side of a back three with ease and can do a job at left back in some games. But his weaknesses against pace at full back were exposed again yesterday for two of their goals.

Burn at left back is a weakness that opponents are targeting when he doesn’t have the protection from Willock and Joelinton in front of him 

• Like 1

I thought for second goal, even though I’ve no idea where all that added time came from, it was soft. I thought it was a poor challenge by Miley. He could’ve gotten a big closer. You can maybe say he should’ve put his body on the line. But even if you think he was right to stay on his feet he should’ve got a bit tighter and he would probably make a better challenge by not turning his back. Obviously it was unlucky but the deflection, as opposed to a proper block, was made possible by the weak challenge 

Edited by Alex

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

That's Howe's argument. But unless Burn has directly created 4 goals for us in the last few games then it doesn't weigh up (cos that's how many he's directly cost us) 

Yeah all his fault, fancy him giving the ball away cheaply in midfield with everyone up, and then to compound matters, leaving himself exposed one on one with pacy wingers, what a useless twat. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

So the ball being dinked over midfield yet again last night doesn’t count because Elanga out paced not only Dan Burn but our other defenders too?..

All I’m trying to say is football isn’t binary…. Howe might now be compensating for a more pourus back line by letting Bruno off his leash a bit more. 

See how this works?…

• Like 1

I agree @PaddockLad that howe likes Tino’s versatility from the bench. But as players start to recover from injury, Tino has to be knocking on the door for a start. He has barely put a foot wrong when he’s started a game. Burn has been partially or entirely responsible for lots of goals conceded lately.

Burn’s weaknesses have been exposed because of threadbare midfield keep leaving him isolated in one on ones against fast wingers. It’s not Burn’s fault but he’s got no chance. It’s not fair on him to keep asking him to chase his winger back 20-30 yards  towards his own goal 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

do you think Burn is a natural left back? Does he look comfortable against pace? 

I like burn. He was great at CB when he first joined. He can slot in on the left side of a back three with ease and can do a job at left back in some games. But his weaknesses against pace at full back were exposed again yesterday for two of their goals.

Burn at left back is a weakness that opponents are targeting when he doesn’t have the protection from Willock and Joelinton in front of him 

The lack of protection is the fault of whoever should be doing that protecting, not the exposed fullback. 

It’s a team game, none of this would matter if we weren’t giving the ball away cheaply when we’re in attacking positions with monotonous regularity.

Edited by Toonpack

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We said all this last night :lol:

Read what I’ve said, I largely agree. I also see what Howe is doing or trying to do in the absence of his first choice midfield. It’s called perspective and seeing both sides. Am a massive fence sitter. I often vote Lib Dem ☺️

• Like 1

However, it did look like we were doing some funny tactical things yesterday with Miley at DM, tripper stepping in to join him in a midfield two at times with Bruno further forwards.

That left three at the back, where I think burn looks more comfortable than Tino would. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

He can slot in on the left side of a back three with ease

Which is the whole point. We play a nominal 4-3-3 but in reality we spend most of the game with 3 at the back as it allows Trippier to play the role people jizz their pants about Alexander Arnold playing. Trippier who has the most assists in the League, let's not forget

Burn being able to slot so easily onto a 3 is vital to our set- up

The times we revert to a traditional 4 at the back is mainly facing free kicks and corners where Burn's hight and strength are vital.

People are desperate for a scapegoat for reasons I don't understand.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

The lack of protection is the fault of whoever should be doing that protecting, not the exposed fullback. 

It’s a team game, none of this would matter if we weren’t giving the ball away cheaply when we’re in attacking positions with monotonous regularity.

The midfield is part of the problem. I don’t think anyone has suggested otherwise? 

But while your midfield is weakened and offering the fullback less protection, do you play the 6ft 7 31 year old bloke ,who looks like he is running through treacle when exposed one on one, or the young lad with pace?

• Like 2

Fucking hell, let's everyone take a breath. It's a football forum. We discuss our opinions. No-one is saying let's sack Howe. No-one is saying Burn has turned into an awful player. Let's drop the straw man hysteria for a minute.

Burn has been repeatedly beaten for pace in the last few games.

If we are going to play a high line then it's an easy exploit for opposition teams.

Elanga started his run yesterday from the RW position. Burn was tracking him and got burned for pace. Again.

If I want to point it out, I don't need permission of a bunch of fannies on here. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

People are desperate for a scapegoat for reasons I don't understand.  

I blame ASM :lol: 

I still think Burn has a lot to offer in certain games. He was our best defender against Villa - had Diaby in his pocket - but then they brought Bailey on and his lack of pace made him look massively exposed.

Howe saw the danger, brought Tino down and switched to five at the back and we saw out the game. Problem solved, points secured. All good. The issue I have is we’ve seen similar issues in the games since and has allowed Burn to be exposed.  

However, I think left back is a position most of us would like to see upgraded even before Burn’s recent run of bloopers. People are clamouring for Tino because we looked more balanced when he had that run in the side - all the top teams have attacking full backs on both flanks. 

That’s not to say Burn has turned shit or that he doesn’t still have an important role in the squad. But if we want to move to the next level he isn’t the future at left back. Just as Miggy isn’t the future at right wing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The midfield is part of the problem. I don’t think anyone has suggested otherwise? 

But while your midfield is weakened and offering the fullback less protection, do you play the 6ft 7 31 year old bloke ,who looks like he is running through treacle when exposed one on one, or the young lad with pace?

As PL pointed out, how did we do when treacle boots was injured ??

we’re 7th currently which is marvellous after warzone level number of injuries and we’ve been involved in some great games, totally chilled about it all tbh.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You know all the reasons, you appear to be unwilling to accept that things aren’t going to be perfect, or even as good as last season, despite many people saying before a ball was kicked that this season might not be as good as last. One thing is for sure, that point probably doesn’t hinge purely on who’s playing left back. 

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

However, I think left back is a position most of us would like to see upgraded even before Burn’s recent run of bloopers. People are clamouring for Tino because we looked more balanced when he had that run in the side - all the top teams have attacking full backs on both flanks. 

I think is seeking a simple answer to a complex problem. Neither Burn nor Trippier are actually playing as traditional full backs, and in reality we are actually playing 3 4 3. I'd rather have Burn than Liv in that formation

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Fucking hell, let's everyone take a breath. It's a football forum. We discuss our opinions. No-one is saying let's sack Howe. No-one is saying Burn has turned into an awful player. Let's drop the straw man hysteria for a minute.

Burn has been repeatedly beaten for pace in the last few games.

If we are going to play a high line then it's an easy exploit for opposition teams.

Elanga started his run yesterday from the RW position. Burn was tracking him and got burned for pace. Again.

If I want to point it out, I don't need permission of a bunch of fannies on here. 😉

You don’t. But if you don’t want counter points whilst accepting that your general comments have some accuracy I’d suggest you don’t really understand message boards as well as balance in team selection and keeping changing rooms as happy as possible :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You know all the reasons, you appear to be unwilling to accept that things aren’t going to be perfect, or even as good as last season, despite many people saying before a ball was kicked that this season might not be as good as last. One thing is for sure, that point probably doesn’t hinge purely on who’s playing left back. 

What a weird post - what are you on about?

When did I say we have a divine right to be as good as we were last season? 

I posted earlier that top 6-7 is a good finish given all the injures and all the extra fixtures.

I don’t think pointing out Burn’s recent howlers or Howe’s loyalty to a player horribly  out of form means I demand things are perfect.

Burn is a talking point because he’s in a shit run of form and because he’s always looked like a CB playing out of position, even when he was playing well.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

What a weird post - what are you on about?

When did I say we have a divine right to be as good as we were last season? 

I posted earlier that top 6-7 is a good finish given all the injures and all the extra fixtures.

I don’t think pointing out Burn’s recent howlers or Howe’s loyalty to a player horribly  out of form means I demand things are perfect.

Burn is a talking point because he’s in a shit run of form and because he’s always looked like a CB playing out of position, even when he was playing well.  

You’re unwilling to accept Howe’s selections. I am. That’s it 🤷🏻‍♂️