the work out thread

Dr Gloom

morning.

anyone here into excersise? how much do you do in a week?

anyone got any tips for burning fat?

i've been going to the gym for a while now and i've managed to put on a decent amount of muscle and reduce my body fat i but can't shift the beer gut entirely no matter how much cardio and how many crunches i do.

i want to cut the final bit of fat off for summer. i keep hearing different opinions about which is the best form of cardio to burn fat. some say longer workouts at lower intensity, others say shorter but high intensity runs.

i've been leaning towards lower intensity 30 minute runs as i was told that high intensity running can burn your muscle off as well as your fat. is there any truth to this? should i join a spinning class or stick the more gentle 30 minute runs?

Don't drink beer. That'll be £250 thanks.

;)

106916[/snapback]

i've tried drinking red wine during the week but there comes a time (usually friday night after work) when only a pint of stella will do.

Less beer, less maccy D's.

Though I dont practice what I preach here (fat bastard tbh), muscle burns fat by just being muscle, more you have more you burn. After weights, the muscles burn energy for another few hours. Cardio is there and then. Cardio is still good mind, but both should be done. The type of cardio, these days its said shorter bursts are said to be more beneficial. For example, 30min jog, Jog 3, Run 1, sprint 1, Jog 3, Run 1 and so on. (Interval training).

Also, while crunches are good and should be included, you cant spot reduce fat. So while you may be building your abs, crunches wont get rid of the fat thats hiding them. Again, just keep on with what you do. Blokes are hit hardest in their gut fat stores and women in thighs.

You will burn fat providing you keep a calorie deficit. Bit more complicated than that like (what and when you eat) but thats the basic of it.

Now, if only I could get up off my arse and listen to myself ;)

The beer gut will be a diet thing mate. Doesnt matter about exercise really. You could do all sorts of eg sit ups etc and you'd just have a six pack under your beer gut.

Less beer, less maccy D's.

Though I dont practice what I preach here (fat bastard tbh), muscle burns fat by just being muscle, more you have more you burn.  After weights, the muscles burn energy for another few hours.  Cardio is there and then.  Cardio is still good mind, but both should be done.  The type of cardio, these days its said shorter bursts are said to be more beneficial.  For example, 30min jog, Jog 3, Run 1, sprint 1, Jog 3, Run 1 and so on. (Interval training).

Also, while crunches are good and should be included, you cant spot reduce fat.  So while you may be building your abs, crunches wont get rid of the fat thats hiding them.  Again, just keep on with what you do.  Blokes are hit hardest in their gut fat stores and women in thighs. 

You will burn fat providing you keep a calorie deficit. Bit more complicated than that like (what and when you eat) but thats the basic of it.

Now, if only I could get up off my arse and listen to myself ;)

106920[/snapback]

at the minute i'm trying to do 3 weight sessions (45-60 mins) and 2-3 cardio workouts a week. either 5 a side (60 mins) or 30 minute run or treadmill, with 1-2 rest days....usually 2 if i've had a big weekend.

you reckon i should stick to that plan or increase the cardio? if you were trying to burn fat would you go high or low intensity cardio?

i eat pretty well during the week but usually let it slip at the weekend. i really can't be arsed to count calories either - that's probably the reason i'll never get rid of the last bit of fat. some lucky cnuts don't need to watch what they eat to stay in great shape.....bastards.

Edited by Dan

If you're looking for low calorie alcohol, surely spirits is the key.  Drink loads of vodka and whisky - it'll destroy your liver but you'll have no beer gut.

106940[/snapback]

That yellow tinge to your skin makes you look exotic, as well.

If you're looking for low calorie alcohol, surely spirits is the key.  Drink loads of vodka and whisky - it'll destroy your liver but you'll have no beer gut.

106940[/snapback]

That yellow tinge to your skin makes you look exotic, as well.

106946[/snapback]

All the better for muscle definition too.

Dan mate, I think any hopes you had of serious advice have gone. From now on it'll just be idiots speculating on what alcohol you can get away with. ;)

One last attempt:

www.menshealth.com

Dan mate, I think any hopes you had of serious advice have gone.  From now on it'll just be idiots speculating on what alcohol you can get away with. ;)

One last attempt:

www.menshealth.com

106950[/snapback]

Meths - on a drip

DEBATE OVER

Dan mate, I think any hopes you had of serious advice have gone.  From now on it'll just be idiots speculating on what alcohol you can get away with. ;)

One last attempt:

www.menshealth.com

106950[/snapback]

Meths - on a drip

DEBATE OVER

106953[/snapback]

...in one arm. Glucose in the other.

NO HANGOVER DEBATE OVER.

106940[/snapback]

Gin and Slimline Tonic

106943[/snapback]

The lowest calorie alcoholic drink you can have iirc.

106940[/snapback]

Gin and Slimline Tonic

106943[/snapback]

107035[/snapback]

Wish you'd change your tipple accordingly then! Do you have any idea how embarrasing it is having to order your double vodka and bovrils?!

106940[/snapback]

Gin and Slimline Tonic

106943[/snapback]

107035[/snapback]

I think the meths on drip feed will probably be less, but for over the bar availability and macho points there's no better for a low calorie refreshing beverage.

Eat Celery.

106940[/snapback]

Gin and Slimline Tonic

106943[/snapback]

107035[/snapback]

Wish you'd change your tipple accordingly then! Do you have any idea how embarrasing it is having to order your double vodka and bovrils?!

107041[/snapback]

I recall you drinking a cocktail in Coco V's that was After Eight Mint flavour - so don't start!

Oh, and if you can actually recall drinking it then I'm a Chinaman considering how absolutely off your face you were ;)

if you do weights - try this.

start off as normal. doing your regular amount of weight. keep lifting/pulling/pushing until your muscles start to burn.

take a little bit of weight off and start lifting/[pulling/pushing again, keep going til you muscles are really burning

then take off a little bit more weight and keep lifting/puling/pushing til you cant bear it any longer.

great stuff :o

Used to be into the bulky muscly look. Started playing footy again this seasson so had to cut down. I am now toned. :o

Most of my time in the gym these days is spent stretching and using free medium weights.

Tip: Machines dont give you the strength free weights do.

yeah - it's all about the free weights tbh

done a bit of reading up on high intensity interval training and was thinking of giving it a go. anyone done it before? is it the best form of fat burning cardio?